Ebay Sales Rant...semi-franken flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Ebay Sales Rant...semi-franken flute

Post by Jayhawk »

So, perusing eBay as one does from time to time, I came across this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313534922967?h ... SwtnJgnchI

I don't think I've ever seen a rant so likely to make me run like heck away from a possible purchase on eBay. However, I'm curious if everyone else thinks this is a William Hall frankenflute. The RH section looks like a mismatch to the rest of the flute or someone did some weird repair to it. The flute clearly needs some work.

I'm a big fan of these US made early/mid 1800s flutes...smaller holes but usually good volume and good tuning. I'd not touch this one with a 10 foot pole, though. It's double the price of the Firth & Pond I bought recently that had no issues, never had a crack, and is an 8 key, but sellers can price their wares however they wish.

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Ebay Sales Rant...semi-franken flute

Post by kkrell »

That one has had some discussion on the Facebook group Flute History Channel, full of scholars, experts & repairers. They're not pleased.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll have to search for that group on FB...never heard of it. Thanks Kevin.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:57 am I'll have to search for that group on FB...never heard of it. Thanks Kevin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flute.History.Channel
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 amI don't think I've ever seen a rant so likely to make me run like heck away from a possible purchase on eBay.
Nice sales pitch:

"Screw you all. Now buy this flute."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:11 pm
Jayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 amI don't think I've ever seen a rant so likely to make me run like heck away from a possible purchase on eBay.
Nice sales pitch:

"Screw you all. Now buy this flute."
LOL...exactly!
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

The seller doth protest too much, methinks.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Sigh, even with the URL below, I can't find that topic on the Flute history channel. I suspect it says more about me than them! Anyone able to provide instructions to someone more at home in mid-19th century London than navigating Facebook?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Terry McGee wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 pm Sigh, even with the URL below, I can't find that topic on the Flute history channel. I suspect it says more about me than them! Anyone able to provide instructions to someone more at home in mid-19th century London than navigating Facebook?
Terry, once you've joined, under the Flute History Channel title, there's a line with "About Discussion Announcements Room" etc. Near the end of that, there's a Search icon (magnifying glass), which searches only within the group. Search for "William Hall". Should take you to Hammy's (Cornelius Ward) post.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Oh my goodness, no wonder I couldn't find it! "Just go down to where Byrne's Mill used to be, of course there's no sign of it now. Then take a left and proceed along the embankment until you find the canal that takes you up to Camden Lock. It's not marked, but you can't miss it..."

But yes, interesting chappie. I'd wonder if something in his background has sensitised him to resent information he'd rather not hear. We've seen quite a few national leaders like that in the earlier Covid days.....
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Well, I've got (2) 6-key W. Hall and Son's flutes (one with Brooklyn, NY stamps) and both with silver keywork and fittings that appear to be grenadilla or cocus. My rings are narrower and both have a raised central ridge that, at least to my eyes looks a bit more elegant than the bands in the e-bay flute from the OP. One has a serial number of 8880 and the other any stampings are long worn away. Keywork and blocks on mine look virtually identical to the OP.

I don't know if these are as collectable as the e-bay seller seems to think, but they are great flutes and if my house was on fire they are the first possession I'd go for. Note that I got them in cracked and unusable condition and self restored them with pretty invisible fixes. Still I didn't pay an appreciable fraction of what the e-bay listing is currently at, so I don't have any idea where he got his value from (but in unlikely the event it sells for that kind of price I'll have to save the listing for my beneficiaries).

I haven't read the Facebook thread yet, but am certainly curious.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

To facilitate viewing by anyone else curious about this matter, here's a direct link to the Flute History Channel thread mentioned above: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flute.H ... 425158615/ (as it's Private FB group, only group members can see content, but people are welcome to apply to join!).

As I mention in that thread, there had been one or two previous threads posted by the eBay vendor, Joseh Campagna, about his flutes for sale, subsequently removed by him, the responses to which were what so enraged him. He is clearly delusional.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads