Pelican 1075...a thinner flute case option

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Pelican 1075...a thinner flute case option

Post by Jayhawk »

Flute cases, as we all know, come primarily in three flavors: just cr@p, nice wooden cases, or plastic cases. While I have a nice wooden case made by a friend's dad, I hate to take it traveling in my backpack for fear it'll get beat up, which would be a shame since it's a work of art. Therefore, I also have the classic Plano pistol case, which works fine but is much thicker than it needs to be. Therefore, I've spent ages looking in shops, scanning Amazon, etc. in an attempt to find a case thinner than the Plano but of similar length and width. Today, the Pelican 1075 I ordered arrived, and after much cutting of foam...I have a thinner, and for me better, travel case that'll take up less plane space under seat in my backpack with my computer.

Size is one inch wider than the Plano, same length, but close to half the thickness. It has no handle, but the handle space on the Plano is now extra storage space on the Pelican. The Pelican has a removable shoulder strap, too.

Pelican on the left (flutes are a Firth, Pond and a Copley):

Flutes flipped between cases for a different perspective:

Sideways to see the width difference:

Height difference:

The Pelican isn't as cheap as the Plano - the Pelican was $54 compared to $6.95 for the Plano, but it's plastic is much sturdier, it caries a bit more while being much thinner and basically the same size, and the foam is much easier to customize (even if I didn't do a great job...I needed a newer exacto knife blade).

Just thought I'd share that we have another flute case option.

Eric
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: Pelican 1075...a thinner flute case option

Post by Flotineer »

Does the pelican also have a gasket?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Neither case has a gasket, but the Pelican has a double lip on one side and a single lip that fits in-between the double lip... it's much more of a good seal than the Plano, but not likely 100% air right.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Here's an odd thought.

Can you fit your iPad in the case at the same time as the flute - under the foam? It might not be as secure, but you could have one case for two important and/or expensive objects.

Or, could you make the cutouts so that both your copy and "my" Firth Pond would fit in one case?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Flotineer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:07 pm Does the pelican also have a gasket?
According to the specs on Amazon, the 1075, 1085 & 1095 have an O-ring seal & automatic pressure equalization valve to balance interior pressure and keep water out. They are advertised as waterproof, dustproof, crushproof.

The 1085 & 1095 have a little bit more length & depth, which might be better suitable to a flute with a long center section (Pratten style). Cost is slightly more.

Another thin (but listed as heavier) option might be the Seahorse 85, available in colors.
http://www.seahorsecases.com/seahorse-s ... -case.html
https://www.caseclub.com/product/seahorse-85-case/
Walmart has empty, add your own foam:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seahorse-85- ... ected=true

One caution with any of these laptop cases, particularly if buying on eBay (new or used). Some case variations are available empty, with pick & pluck foam, or have interiors already molded to fit particular devices. This can affect whether enough interior space & depth is truly available to fit your instrument.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Kevin...the specs do say waterproof but the majority of negative reviews say the cases are not really airtight, which I'm OK with for a flute. I'd not treat it as truly waterproof. The case would hold my Pixel Slate beneath the cut out foam as well as the flute, but there is a second layer of foam (about as thick as my Pixel Slate or an iPad) glued to the bottom, so you'd need to rip that out. It would not hold my Slate with it's keyboard, though. That other case you linked to is a little thicker so it might do nicely for holding both, but it's also 3 inches longer and about 3 inches wider, too, which is more size than I'd like but might well work for others and could hold a few more whistles in there. Another good option!

Eric
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

My only concern with a Pelican would be the massive bill...
m.d.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

emmdee wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:57 am My only concern with a Pelican would be the massive bill...
m.d.
groan
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

kkrell wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:26 am
emmdee wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:57 am My only concern with a Pelican would be the massive bill...
m.d.
groan
Made me smile!
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Does the case hold more than it's bellican?
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

tstermitz wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 am Does the case hold more than it's bellican?

Now it's my turn to groan Tom! :P