FS: Garry Somers pratten model

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FS: Garry Somers pratten model

Post by pmcallis »

Hi fluters,

See the notice and pictures on the UIE forum:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=112369

thanks, Paul
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: FS: Garry Somers pratten model

Post by kkrell »

OK, how do we distinguish between his Pratten & Rudall models, if they both are split left/right hands? AFAIK, I have 2 Rudalls.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

This is another feature of Garry's flutes. Most "pratten" style makers make the usual one piece "body" as standard. Somers makes a two piece body which allows for more flexibility and comfort in positioning the fingers of both hands.
Of course, a comparison of bore diameter and hole size would differentiate his Rudall and Pratten designs. The Somers flute I'm selling has the letter "P" under his name on the barrel. It may stand for Pratten. I'm not sure because my older pratten (the one lost in the mail for 4 months) was made when Garry was based in South America and does not have the "P" on the barrel.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

kkrell wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:27 pm OK, how do we distinguish between his Pratten & Rudall models, if they both are split left/right hands? AFAIK, I have 2 Rudalls.
This video may help. It helped me "see" the difference even though I don't speak Japanese!!!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyfplj0kNLc
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

The Somers Rudalls have, “G. Somers RM” (Rudall Medium?) printed/engraved on the barrel, and the Pratten, “G. Somers P”.

Both are wonderful instruments and play very well. The Pratten I have is a boomer and enjoyable to play. It compares very well in tone, intonation, power, and embouchure cut, to another Pratten I have from a renown modern maker.

Somers makes awesome instruments, in my experience.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

kkrell wrote: "OK, how do we distinguish between his Pratten & Rudall models, if they both are split left/right hands? AFAIK, I have 2 Rudalls."

I have a Rudall model, and Garry explained to me that it is based on a R&R model in Edinburgh but that he had enlarged the holes a bit to make it louder. The holes are still smaller than on my Rob Forbes Pratten-model flute, and the sound is also smaller. It has a dark sound (not bright like my Olwell Nicholson model and not reedy like the Forbes flute. But very nice.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BKWeid wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:50 pm The Somers Rudalls have, “G. Somers RM” (Rudall Medium?) printed/engraved on the barrel, and the Pratten, “G. Somers P”.
By George, you're right! Both of mine are marked “G. Somers RM". I'd offer to trade the OP, so we could both have one of each, except for that Canada border thing.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Kevin,
The USPS and Canada Post work seamlessly. I've bought and sold lots of flutes over the years and never had a problem. I would imagine Blayne at the Irish Flute Store would agree. He must receive and sell a lot of flutes internationally.
Paul
pmcallis

Re: FS: Garry Somers pratten model - SOLD

Post by pmcallis »

Flute is sold. Thanks to all who showed interest.
Paul