Keyed Flute learning tips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Keyed Flute learning tips

Post by an seanduine »

A couple of thoughts for Bcoopmando. Trevor Wye´s work is definitely slanted toward Bohm flute. His technical exercises tend toward helping one with the modern keywork and not the simple system. He also has a bias against the hard dark tones of a conic flute, which sort of defeats the point of playing a conic simple system flute. Any exercises to give you greater tonal flexibility would be more in order. Paul Taffanel´s work spanned the periods from conic to cylindrical flutes. Even the videos from Sir James Galway might help since he actually started on simple system wooden flutes as a child. You also might look at a recent book, Playing Outside the Lines by Leslie Anne Harrison which addresses plying traditional music with both Modern and Simple System keyed flutes. Harrison has exercises specifically for keyed Simple System flutes.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

an seanduine wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:51 am.....You also might look at a recent book, Playing Outside the Lines by Leslie Anne Harrison which addresses plying traditional music with both Modern and Simple System keyed flutes. Harrison has exercises specifically for keyed Simple System flutes.
If interested, more info regarding Ms. Harrison's book can be found at www.leslieanneharrison.com/books She also has a blog of techniques on her web site and a tune of the week on YouTube should you wish to see how she approaches tunes and transition between conical and cylindrical instruments.

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
cac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Here is a link to a book of scales written for the simple-system keyed flute by Ernesto Koehler. Stick to the first two octaves and gradually add, if you wish, the notes of the third octave:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Schule_der_Geläu ... C_Ernesto)

You should also download Rockstro's two fingering charts (the first has the most common fingerings) for the simple-system flute. I don't have the link for it, but the entire book is available online. Search for Jem Hammond's and Terry McGee's fingering charts as well. Note that while all 19th century keyed flutes were made with the understanding that the Eb key would be depressed (i.e. opened) for most notes, including E, most modern makers tune their flutes, unless they are copies of 19th c. instruments, so that this isn't necessary. I have never played a keyed-flute made by Dave Copley, but you should experiment: is E in better tune with the Eb key depressed or not?

The 'Rockstro' hold is most definitely not necessary to play Bb. Afaik the grip is not harmful in any way, but you should know that only a minority of flute players use it (also a minority of players of the silver flute although that is not relevant). To play Bb with the normal right hand grip (thumb under the flute roughly between the first and second holes), it is sufficient to lightly touch the little finger to the Eb key (or to depress it or if it is already depressed then to leave it that way).

To give you some practice with Bb (and also F natural), I've uploaded to thesession.org a transcription of Steve Kujala's tune, 'The Fretless Flute', as he plays it on youtube in g minor: https://thesession.org/tunes/15298#comment923227

Here's the link to the composer playing the tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mBMm9ximzE

Have fun! Chet
PatC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a flute player from Ireland, interested in Irish, Scottish, Breton with an otherwise eclectic music tase.

Post by PatC »

Although I have been playing for a good few years I never really got into the keys, but I decided to do it this years, transposing slows tunes I already knew D -> E and also one in G -> F was a great way to learn and also looking for a few tunes in Dminor and Gminor slows tunes just to get the fingers working.

regards,
Pat.