Olwell 6 key cocus wood flute on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Olwell 6 key cocus wood flute on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

There is an Olwell 6 key cocus wood flute with sterling silver keys, rings, and head joint lining on E-bay now. Nicholson model. Looks very nice, bid at will for the next 9 days.
eBay item number:11484559703:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114845597031 ... SwCrVgwiIh
jim stone

Re: Olwell 6 key cocus wood flute on E-bay

Post by jim stone »

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
an seanduine
antispam: No

Post by an seanduine »

Gorgeous! Aaron says he´s been playing this one for a year, and both tweaking the embouchure and refining the bore. I note the tenon joints have metal caps, but can´t tell if the joint sockets have metal cups.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Flutern
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

You better make sure you're not allergic to cocuswood before placing a bid :boggle: :lol:
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

gwuilleann wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pm You better make sure you're not allergic to cocuswood before placing a bid :boggle: :lol:
Just have Aaron install a lip plate. In for a penny, in for a pound...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:25 pm
gwuilleann wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pm You better make sure you're not allergic to cocuswood before placing a bid :boggle: :lol:
Sure, but if you don't live in the US it's not that simple :wink: Even if you only ship back the headjoint, dealing with export/re-import to avoid having to pay custom duties twice can be a real pain, and I talk from first-hand experience. :(
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

gwuilleann wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:25 pm
Sure, but if you don't live in the US it's not that simple :wink: Even if you only ship back the headjoint, dealing with export/re-import to avoid having to pay custom duties twice can be a real pain, and I talk from first-hand experience. :(
Let's say you make the winning bid. Isn't there a way to have contact with Olwell et fils to request the modification prior to the thing being sent?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Flutern

Post by Flutern »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:49 pmLet's say you make the winning bid. Isn't there a way to have contact with Olwell et fils to request the modification prior to the thing being sent?
Hence my initial comment :-) If you know you're allergic to cocus, I'd expect the Olwell's would be happy to add a lip plate for you, but it would be wise to make sure of that before you get the flute.

I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from bidding, it's just that I got an antique flute from the US last year and discovered on that occasion that I was allergic to cocus, so I can't imagine what my reaction would have been if it had been a flute worth $7-8k.

Anyway, I'll sit this one out and watch... :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

gwuilleann wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 pm If you know you're allergic to cocus, I'd expect the Olwell's would be happy to add a lip plate for you, but it would be wise to make sure of that before you get the flute.
Understood. But making sure is hard to do when you don't have any priors; very often sensitization is a matter of exposure over time, as in my case. If I bought this flute decades ago (there's a space-time thought experiment for those of you brave enough to twist your minds around) I wouldn't have any issues until about ten years had passed. What I'm suggesting is a preemptive measure just in case. Besides, a lip plate looks snappy - kind of like a bow tie on a tux.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

19 bids. Sold for £6886.86 + £162,92 postage. (81,732 Swedish crowns) (€8008) ($9502)
Flutern

Post by Flutern »

Steampacket wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:14 am 19 bids. Sold for £6886.86 + £162,92 postage. (81,732 Swedish crowns) (€8008) ($9502)
I've been out of the loop for too long, but is it what these birthday Olwell's usually go for? :-? This one only has 6 keys :shock:
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I've been out of the loop for too long, but is it what these birthday Olwell's usually go for? :-? This one only has 6 keys " gwuilleann.

Some previous Olwell "birthday flutes":

2013: A six key cocus wood flute, a Nicholson model, went for $9200.

2014: 00#1221 - A six key blackwood & silver Pratten Olwell sold for $9353.10 on the 18th of June, 2014. The bidding went from $6309 to $9353.10 on the last day, the 18th June, 2014

2015: OO#1268 - A six key cocus wood Olwell (Nicholson model) sold for $11100 on the 17th of July 2015. The bidding went from $6200 to $11,100 on the last day, the 17th of June, 2015.

2016: OO#1300 Pratte - A six key cocus wood Olwell (Nicholson model) sold for $7457 on the 17th of July 2016. The bidding went from $6557 to $7457 on the last day, the 17th of June, 2016.

2017: A six key cocus wood Olwell (Pratten model) sold for $8500 on the 18th of June, 2017. The bidding went from $6425 to $8500 on the last day, the 18th of June, 2017

2018: A six key cocus wood flute sold for a good price $7855= £6000 = €6790. The last four minutes saw the bidding go from $6000 to $7855.

2019: A birthday flute, cocus wood, with two middle sections, went for for $8,850.00 wrote Jim Stone.

2020: An eight key, coccus wood flute with a Boehm foot, went for $13,600.
David Levine wrote "The Olwell is a lot of money for most people. But it's a one-of-a-kind flute by one of the greatest-ever makers. And half of it is going to a progressive cause. After eBay takes its cut the Olwells will receive about $12,200. A Birthday Flute generally sells for from about $8,000 to $11,000. The $6,100 they will net for this flute is considerably less than the birthday flute normally sells for."
Flutern

Post by Flutern »

Thanks Steampacket, much appreciated :) Based on that it appears that the average price for a 6-key Olwell Birthday flute is $8,977. Wow! Those who "only" paid $7500 got a bargain of some sort...

Edit: Added "Birthday", since apparently it wasn't clear from the context.
Last edited by Flutern on Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

gwuilleann wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:12 pm Thanks Steampacket, much appreciated :) Based on that it appears that the average price for a 6-key Olwell flute is $8,977. Wow! Those who "only" paid $7500 got a bargain of some sort...
No, the prices mentioned were for the once a year special edition “Birthday” flutes, not the standard order 6 key Olwell flutes. The Birthday flutes are often made of more expensive cocus, and always have additional features of various sorts (changes from year to year) not found on a “standard” Olwell 6 key.
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Yeah, and you don't have to wait 6 years to get it.