Sam Murray Chacate Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Sam Murray Chacate Flute?

Post by tradlad123 »

Saw a few Chacate wood flute pop up on McNeela a few days ago, and now they're all gone.
Anyone here got one? If so any reviews? Just curious about the wood I've never heard of before :)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Sam Murray Chacate Flute?

Post by kkrell »

https://www.prosono-hardwoods.com/hardw ... k-chacate/

Also known as false mopane.

I've seen it used in guitar back & sides.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Kevin, I must say this wood generates a very mixed reaction in me. Black Chacate is assigned to the family Fabacea, which is the same botanical family as Cocus Wood, Brya Ebenus. If it shares many characteristics with Cocus, it could make an outstanding flute timber. But if it also shares the same very slow growing properties, it could be liable to overexploitation and eventual commercial if not actual extinction.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

I have a keyless flute in Chacate Preto. They seem to be relatively uncommon - David Angus uses it sometimes, Windward have a few flutes with Chacate elements, and I have one of three which Francois Baubet made with Chacate. As a wood, I'd say it's very light compared to blackwood. The colour is perhaps a mix between black/dark grey/ dark brown. The tone seems very bright. The wood itself seems to expand quite a bit more and more quickly than blackwood, and tenons can get very tight very quickly. I suppose a good comparator, other than the colour, might be Boxwood?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Terminology can be a problem. There's leadwood, also called chacate, and chacate preto, or false mopane. From what I can glean, from a flute standpoint they are not interchangeable in their properties. Apparently chacate (leadwood) is a resinous, oily timber (it is very difficult to glue, so one assumes it would be not unlike blackwood), whereas chacate preto is not resinous. Lacking my own personal experience, Jeggy's likening of chacate preto to boxwood seems apt. Both chacate and chacate preto are attractive to look at, but I would personally lean away from chacate preto due to its ready absorbency. YMMV. It's entirely possible that the "preto" part might get lost in presentation, even when it matters to folks like us, so the ideal thing would be to try the flute out and see how it responds to moisture.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

an seanduine wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 pm Kevin, I must say this wood generates a very mixed reaction in me………(snippage)…….
If it shares many characteristics with Cocus, it could make an outstanding flute timber. But if it also shares the same very slow growing properties, it could be liable to overexploitation and eventual commercial if not actual extinction.

Bob
Yeah, we really need to stop pillaging the resources of poor nations and destroying environment for our luxury goods. At this point we can stabilize and harden softer, quicker growing domestic woods to the point where they turn and play essentially like Grenadilla and Cocus. Granted, I have no idea what the environmental impact of producing the stabilizing agents is, so maybe it’s not as viable on the environmental front as it appears at first glance (don’t even get me started on EV’s), but I do think responsible instrument makers should be seriously looking at this.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:08 pm Yeah, we really need to stop pillaging the resources of poor nations and destroying environment for our luxury goods. At this point we can stabilize and harden softer, quicker growing domestic woods to the point where they turn and play essentially like Grenadilla and Cocus. Granted, I have no idea what the environmental impact of producing the stabilizing agents is, so maybe it’s not as viable on the environmental front as it appears at first glance (don’t even get me started on EV’s), but I do think responsible instrument makers should be seriously looking at this.
I heartily agree. There is work being done on sustainable polymers made from biomass, but at this point that's all I know. If they have any relevance to instrument making and don't come at a deleterious environmental cost, I think it's high time we should go that route.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Regarding anyone considering the purchase of a Chacate flute, just be aware you’d be essentially be volunteering to be a guinea pig - not enough examples out there to know how they hold up over time. Although from Jeggy’s description it sounds like we already have enough info to know that it’s a wood worth avoiding based on how quickly the wood absorbs moisture and expands - having one or more socket/tenon connections seized up after playing is a real drag.

Also, with that sort of moisture flow in and out of the wood, odds are it is going to oval and/or warp over time.

My personal feeling is that it’s irresponsible for flute makers to sell instruments made of woods they haven’t fully vetted prior to putting them into production. Making flutes isn’t like pen making where you can just choose whatever pretty looking wood you like.

The exception to the above would be special orders where a customer wants a flute made from a wood that the maker doesn’t typically offer, and the buyer accepts in advance that all bets and warranties are off because they’ve chosen to roll the dice on a wood the maker either won’t recommend or has no experience with. Nothing wrong with that scenario IMO. But then, nobody really gives a carp about MO :lol: Nor should they really :wink:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nanohedron wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:15 pm
I heartily agree. There is work being done on sustainable polymers made from biomass, but at this point that's all I know. If they have any relevance to instrument making and don't come at a deleterious environmental cost, I think it's high time we should go that route.
Agreed. I left polymers out only because I know next to nothing about what’s currently available or on the horizon on that front. Obviously though I’m a fan of polymer flutes and it would be great to see something come to market that’s environmentally friendly, performs well for our purposes, and is less friggin slippery than Delrin :P Which makes me wonder…… if you could prevent the Delrin from bending via the use of a mandrel, how well would a knurling tool work on it? This is why apartment living sucks, no access to machine tools. :cry:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:39 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:15 pm
Agreed. I left polymers out only because I know next to nothing about what’s currently available or on the horizon on that front. Obviously though I’m a fan of polymer flutes and it would be great to see something come to market that’s environmentally friendly, performs well for our purposes, and is less friggin slippery than Delrin :P Which makes me wonder…… if you could prevent the Delrin from bending via the use of a mandrel, how well would a knurling tool work on it? This is why apartment living sucks, no access to machine tools. :cry:
Well, at the time I was thinking of polymers as hardening and stabilizing agents for softer woods, but as a flute material in its own right, sure; why not?
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

Loren wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:28 pm My personal feeling is that it’s irresponsible for flute makers to sell instruments made of woods they haven’t fully vetted prior to putting them into production. Making flutes isn’t like pen making where you can just choose whatever pretty looking wood you like.
That's perhaps slightly excessive. Chacate preto is a known wood used for instruments and considered suitable for woodwinds like clarinets and flutes. It's certainly a less common wood for flutes but not quite just a random wood which looks pretty.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jeggy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:09 pm
Loren wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:28 pm My personal feeling is that it’s irresponsible for flute makers to sell instruments made of woods they haven’t fully vetted prior to putting them into production. Making flutes isn’t like pen making where you can just choose whatever pretty looking wood you like.
That's perhaps slightly excessive. Chacate preto is a known wood used for instruments and considered suitable for woodwinds like clarinets and flutes. It's certainly a less common wood for flutes but not quite just a random wood which looks pretty.
Or perhaps not.

“ Chacate preto is a known wood used for instruments and considered suitable for woodwinds like clarinets and flutes.”

Well that’s certainly wood supplier Prosono’s opinion, but I’m not sure we’re going to be seeing the likes of Abell and Powell using it on a regular basis, and even if they did, to my knowledge no one has a bunch of flutes out there that have been played regularly for years to see what percentage are coming back with issues. And by your description of how the wood quickly absorbs moisture and swells, that already makes it sort of a marginal flute material at best.

Ultimately time will tell, but according to Prosono’s website the supply is already available on an inconsistent basis, so it may not be available for long anyway. Prosono will no doubt come up with some other wood “suitable for woodwinds”, when that time comes, ‘cause wood sellers gotta sell wood. And I do wonder: who is cutting these “new” woods down, and on who’s land…..
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

So many interesting thoughts and opinions!
I was hoping someone here would have bought it... I guess not yet :)
here's the listing if anyone's curious:
https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/flutes/sa ... ate-flute/
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yep, looks like a flute alright.
awildman

Post by awildman »

I'm not sure this wood is related to cocus. Based on the scientific name, it is more closely related to Bubinga.

Regardless, exotic wood supplies are dwindling right now. I'm sure COVID has had an impact. I make a guess that this wood was not selected primarily for its suitability, but for its availability and price.