Do flautists suffer less from the wind than low whistlers?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Do flautists suffer less from the wind than low whistlers?

Post by DrPhill »

One of the things that I found irksome about the low whistle was the way it could falter in the wind. I tried my flute outside t'other day and it seemed more robust. Is this just wishful thinking, or is outdoor flue playing more practical than outdoor low whistle playing?

Of course the low whistle does have the advantage that you can turn the window 'downwards' to give it some shelter.....
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
jim stone

Re: Do flautists suffer less from the wind than low whistlers?

Post by jim stone »

FWIW, my experience busking is that flute suffers less from the wind than whistles.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I concur. Technique might have some bearing, depending.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

You blow across the hole to create the sound with a flute, but the wind across the hole/blade of a whistle takes the sound away, so yes, flutes are better outdoors.

Another thing, you often see marching flute players, but have you ever seen whistle players marching outdoors :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

but have you ever seen whistle players marching outdoors
Yes, I am afraid it does happen. And not just during the madness of the Dingle Wren on St Stephen's Day.

This is a lovely one from 1959 Donegal, all Clarke whistles:

My brain hurts

bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Generally, it's the person downwind of the flatulist who tends to suffer.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

I'd never heard of outdoor whistle playing, but the pictures can't lie, thanks for posting them.... :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

So my suspicions were possibly right.... thanks. That is an added benefit to flutes for me.

I like those pictures of marching whistle bands - they must sound awesome. Also the high whistles may suffer less from wind than low whistles?
Sometimes I get a twinge of envy for those living in an area with a strong musical culture. It must add a lot to the enjoyment of life.

Keep safe everyone
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I love this question. I thought more wise guys would be answering.

For me it depends on what I've been eating.

Or drinking however many pints of Guinness.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

In my experience, the higher registers of the whistle are less susceptible to wind damage than lower octaves. I don't know the physics for sure, but I suspect it's that wind screws up the airflow over the fipple. Higher notes requiring more air means that the airflow is more forceful, making it harder for the wind to screw it up. Harder-blowing whistles and higher whistles have the same benefits over lower or lighter-blowing whistles. The Chieftain Thunderbird D I had, for example, was much better in the wind than my Killarney.

That's a completely anecdotal theory, though, so I'm sure someone else has a more concrete explanation.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Bill Ochs on a tin whistle marching band...in Harlem!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77743
Bill Ochs wrote:A teacher named Kathy Clyne started a tin whistle marching band called The Golden Eagles at P.S. 192 in Harlem in the '90s. You can watch a video clip of the Golden Eagles Tin Whistle Band my new site's home page at http://www.pennywhistlesforschools.com.
Bill Ochs wrote:I want to share something that happened here in NYC on June 14, 1990. It was a holiday that we call Flag Day. But I will always remember it as "The Day The Golden Eagles Took Wall Street."

Kathy Clyne's Golden Eagles Tin Whistle Band from P.S. 192 in Harlem had caused such a stir in their district that word of them had drifted all the way downtown to Mayor Dinkins' office. And so they were invited to march in New York City's annual Flag Day Parade.

When the kids from P.S. 192 got downtown they mustered near City Hall. There were all sorts of bands there, including groups from the suburbs with fancy uniforms and "real" instruments. The P.S. 192 kids just had their tin whistles and little drums and were dressed in their school clothes. But when they stepped off, boy, it was something to see!

The Golden Eagles marched proudly and tall through the canyons of Lower Manhattan with the sound of their tin whistles and drums reverberating off the big buildings. It was lunch break in the Financial District and a lot of office workers had come out to see what was going on. The P.S. 192 kids got a nice round of applause as they marched down Wall Street, but when they broke into the Irish tune "Roddy McCorley" — aka "Sean South of Garryowen" — the crowd went wild!

A lot of Irish emigrants and Irish-Americans work in those offices and they had recognized the tune. The P.S. 192 kids were mostly from the Dominican Republic or of Dominican background. It was one of those New York moments that you never forget.

So I want to encourage folks out there to give this a try. Start a kids tin whistle band. Make some magic in your community. It can be done, and I will help in any way I can.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

DrPhill wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 pm One of the things that I found irksome about the low whistle was the way it could falter in the wind. I tried my flute outside t'other day and it seemed more robust. Is this just wishful thinking, or is outdoor flue playing more practical than outdoor low whistle playing?

Of course the low whistle does have the advantage that you can turn the window 'downwards' to give it some shelter.....
I've endured (as opposed to enjoyed) playing outdoors if there is anything more than a slight breeze. I think that the flute is more susceptible to disruption because the embouchure air stream is unprotected if there is other wind turbulence to contend with. The effect isn't a constant - just random deflation of the sound like one of those bad-embouchure-days.

Definitely the 180deg rotation of the whistle head downwards trick helps, but it is one of those "really if you have to" things. There's no avoiding it - by design they aren't great instruments outdoors in windy conditions. High-D better than Low-D better than Flute IMHO. But, once we're in that zone, why bother. Only exception - graveside slow air - gotta make the best of what the conditions dish up.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Julia Delaney wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:57 pm I love this question. I thought more wise guys would be answering.

For me it depends on what I've been eating.

Or drinking however many pints of Guinness.
I find a good belch while playing flute can lower pitch more than half a step...it's rather impressive. I tend not to play my flute in such a way that I'm testing other forms of personal wind no matter what I eat (although it can provide a percussive emphasis if done correctly).