Bb marching band flute.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Bb marching band flute.

Post by Sedi »

Some makers seem to see the customer as a "necessary evil" :tomato: .
I'd have recommended David Angus -- very friendly and makes affordable flutes and fifes, however, unfortunately he doesn't make keyed ones.
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/
Vlad Maigret
Tell us something.: An amateur guitar and flute player based in Moscow. I like jazz and improvisation. A huge fan of Peter Bastian. Currently, I own a Yamaha flute ( 100 series) however I'm going to explore some other kinds of flutes ( if I'm lucky),

Post by Vlad Maigret »

Yes, i think, i have to look for a different master.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Some makers seem to see the customer as a "necessary evil"
Wonder why that is and take into account most makers run small single person workshops, often from home.

You'd be surprised how many 'customers' turn up at makers' doors expecting to be welcomed with cups of tea and a tour of the workshop, call and demand attention without much regard for 'office' hours or time differences and generally wasting time that could be spent working, actually making the things.

I have seen a maker run away down the street when he saw a 'customer' approaching, another one replied when I told him a man who bought one of his instruments second hand was looking for him 'Tell him I am dead'. Another instance was a couple who knocked on a maker's door unannounced early on a Saturday morning enquiring about instruments and were particularly pissed off when he gave them a brochure and pricelist and told them 'goodbye'.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Yep, well -- if they don't want any customer-contact, they should sell their stuff through a third party, not post their phone-number online if they don't wanna be called or maybe consider another job altogether. Sorry, but that's how it is. If any maker reacted pissed off when I'd call him during NORMAL hours, I'd certainly take my money somewhere else.
All the extreme cases you listed are not much more than a rhetorical trick because obviously that wasn't the case here. If people don't wanna be called on their private phone line -- simply don't post it on your homepage. Or get another phone for business purposes.
I'm self-employed too and believe me, there's ways to avoid annoying your customers.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

All the extreme cases you listed are not much more than a rhetorical trick because obviously that wasn't the case here.
It was a response to your remark quoted in my post. Nothing to do with the OP. The cases were not extreme at all, just a few from an abundance of possible examples. It's very entertaining getting a few makers together exchanging customer horror stories and it's perfectly understandalble why they would consider some customers or a particular type of customer a necessary evil.
My brain hurts

Vlad Maigret
Tell us something.: An amateur guitar and flute player based in Moscow. I like jazz and improvisation. A huge fan of Peter Bastian. Currently, I own a Yamaha flute ( 100 series) however I'm going to explore some other kinds of flutes ( if I'm lucky),

Post by Vlad Maigret »

Well, IMHO it is ok to treat you potential clients the way you think is appropriate. No hard feelings at all. The only thing that is pity, is that i'm not going to get the flute I want. Such as life
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Vlad Maigret wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:20 pm The only thing that is pity, is that i'm not going to get the flute I want. Such as life
There are loads of makers making F flutes, for marching or otherwise. Don't give up too easily.
My brain hurts

Vlad Maigret

Post by Vlad Maigret »

True, but I'm searching from Russia, most of the websites are closed or restricted. Still, I keep looking for an option 😊