Hygrometer recommendations

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Hygrometer recommendations

Post by cac »

I recently put the 4 hygrometers I have, which are normally in different rooms and different plastic containers with my flutes, into one room. The next day I checked the readings. They were (% relative humidity): 58, 44, 37, 26! Can anyone recommend an adjustable hygrometer that they know to be accurate, or does such an instrument not exist? Ideally it would be small enough to fit into the Rubbermaid plastic containers I keep my flutes in. The smallest of these that I use is about 17x10x6 inches. I''m located in North America (Canada). Thanks, Chet
Steve Bliven

Re: Hygrometer recommendations

Post by Steve Bliven »

I've been using several Western Caliber IV hygrometers for several years now. They are all within 2% of each other and when I did a calibration salt test, they all were within 5% of each other and the test number.

Works well enough for me. A quick internet search shows them available for between $25 and $40 not counting postage.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Thanks, Steve. Looks good. Chet
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Not to engage in hygrometer wars, but the cheap ones (ThermoPro TP49 Digital Hygrometer $7) got higher ratings than the Cigar Oasis Caliber IV Digital Hygrometer ($30). The Caliber IV Digital Hygrometer and Thermometer ($40) did receive higher ratings but only three people rated it so the sampling isn't really meaningful.

I keep a water pillow in every flute case and my flutes stay nicely hydrated at about 50-60% RH. Te small pillow lasts 6 weeks or longer before I have to soak it for ten minutes. "Prestige Import Group - Water Humidification Pillows" - 10 for $7.

All available from Amazon.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Capnewshound
Tell us something.: I’m interested in learning about Irish flute music. I’ve studied orchestral flute and played around with shakuhachi, but now I’m getting fascinated with Irish flute and trad. Is this long enough?

Post by Capnewshound »

I used to use a micronta brand thermometer/hygrometer I got at a Radio Shack for under $10 because I saw that model used in a medical research study. But it’s been discontinued, and mine died an ugly death from bad batteries.