Another newbie flute question.....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TxWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Another newbie flute question.....

Post by TxWhistler »

Since I am new to playing the flute I have no idea whether what is happening is normal or a sign that I'm doing something wrong.

After about 20 minutes of playing I am finding that the condensate from my breath in the headpiece will occasionally splatter up onto my lower lip as I'm playing the higher notes of the second octave.

Is this something that is normal and I just need to get used to it or does it indicate I am blowing either too hard or at an incorrect angle into the head piece?

My experience with whistles indicates that I am a "dry" whistler. I can play for long periods of time without clogging concerns so I don't thing the problem is that I'm a "wet" flute blower but I'm open to hear what you all have to say.

Any suggestions (if necessary) for corrective action would be appreciated on my part.

Thanks!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Another newbie flute question.....

Post by Jayhawk »

Condensation is always worse when it's cooler, so what's the weather been like in your neck of the woods?

I also think it's common for newer flute players to be wetter players until your embouchure improves. It's not uncommon to over-blow, especially in the upper octave, and that can increase the condensation level a bit.

Just blow it out, give the flute a shake, and move on.

Eric
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Jayhawk wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:54 am Condensation is always worse when it's cooler, so what's the weather been like in your neck of the woods?

I also think it's common for newer flute players to be wetter players until your embouchure improves. It's not uncommon to over-blow, especially in the upper octave, and that can increase the condensation level a bit.

Just blow it out, give the flute a shake, and move on.

Eric
Thanks for the response Jayhawk. I'm playing in an air conditioned house at 72 degree F. I think I may have self-diagnosed what the cause may be. Due to a neck problem I have I've tried to play the flute in as upright and head straight up position as possible. Thus the flute is parallel to the floor. I've noticed that a lot of flute players play with their head tilted and the flute of course is then tilted somewhat downward. That would allow the condensate to drain much better than in my position.

So I may tried tilting my head just a bit (but not enough to cause pain in my neck) so that the condensate will drain out instead of pooling (as I am assuming it does now).
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You may have nailed it...I always slightly have the end down a bit to drain.
TxWhistler

Post by TxWhistler »

Update:

Yes, I believe that was it. I've just finished an hour's practice with the flute tilted slightly downward and the splatter problem never appeared.