First time flute buyer

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
PatC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a flute player from Ireland, interested in Irish, Scottish, Breton with an otherwise eclectic music tase.

Re: First time flute buyer

Post by PatC »

For that kind of budget I agree with with the delrin suggestion Damien Thompson or Francois Baubet make excellent flutes in this price range,

regards,
Pat,
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

gwuilleann wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:24 am
Lozq wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:12 pmI was toying with the idea of doing this too, actually. Although my idea was to completely remove the internal foam and replace it with a hand-carved block of my own design. How easy do you think it would be to pull out the internals? Doable, or would it be a bit of a bloodbath?
I did something like that once with a cheap hardshell flute case, but I don't think I would want to do that with this particular model. I think the case would lose a lot of its strength, and would probably end up ruined. Here's a picture of my flute in the case.
My Wylde in a Protec case.
gwuilleann , is your photo flipped? What flute is that - I don't recognize the mark?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

kkrell wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:15 pm gwuilleann , is your photo flipped? What flute is that - I don't recognize the mark?
No it's not. It's exactly this model: https://www.amazon.com/Protec-PB308TB-F ... B0002F797A

If you look at the pictures on Amazon's website, you'll see that the headjoint is on the right. Perhaps they slightly changed the design? :-?

Edit: The flute is an Aebi (boxwood with bronze keys and rings)
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Nanuk 909 case. You’ll have to cut the foam, but solid flute case for under $40.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Along the same lines as the Nanuk case, if you have a Harbor Freight near you: Apache 2800 https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-weat ... 63926.html
At about 28USD a solid bargain. Has pickable foam.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BKWeid wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:17 pm Nanuk 909 case. You’ll have to cut the foam, but solid flute case for under $40.
The Nanku 910 (over $40) is a bit longer & wider, might be more suited to a Pratten-style flute. On Amazon, both models are available with cubed pick foam. Too bad the cost seems to be lowest on the black, as the colors could be interesting.

That Apache in another post is pretty heavy duty at the price. Harbor Freight also tends to have coupons for more % off.

I've had my Protec case for awhile (have a couple) so there may be differences that have made it into the design.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

What Loren said. Copley, you really can't go wrong. Then Shannon.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Although the post is old, I would second the recommendation to go for one of Francois Baubet’s flutes, in case anyone in the same situation comes across this post in the future. They are good flutes for any price range. They sound and play fantastically to my tastes, and they are capable of putting out a powerful sound when that’s what you want.

If you get one out of delrin, it can also be of use in the future if you end up getting another flute, because delrin is very convenient to take places where one may worry about the welfare of a wooden instrument.