Basic flute care question from a beginner

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Basic flute care question from a beginner

Post by david_h »

Lonyy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:26 am Sorry, I just wanted to show what sewing machine I used to create a case,
Wrong Forum? :D :wink: https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewforum.php?f=24

(Never been there but I remembered it exists!
fintano
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Re: Basic flute care question from a beginner

Post by fintano »

If you want to keep your flute assembled for some time like a few hours, but you want to store it so the moisture drains out, look into getting a flute stand. Also handy if you are a multi-instrumentalist who plays in cramped spaces and you need somewhere to put the instrument temporarily.

However, flute stands sold in most music stores are designed for Boehm flutes and they are too big for conical-bore flutes. You might get away with a clarinet stand, but take your instrument along to see if it fits.

The best thing I've found is sold as a tenor recorder stand. You can buy them on-line for not a whole lot of money. They fold up into a nice compact form for carrying.

This doesn't solve the problem of compressing the cork, so it's not for long-term storage. But if you're playing a gig and want to put your flute somewhere during your breaks, it's very handy.