Flute stands for tiny bores?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
est
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Flute stands for tiny bores?

Post by est »

So, my "Essential Flute" by Ellis fits wonderfully on a regular flute stand, but my Wooden flutes are too small and the piccolo stands are too short for me to feel comfortable using with them. Any recommendations? I've seen a couple of videos where folks had what looked to be a homemade stand, but my craftiness is sadly limited.
Conical bore

Re: Flute stands for tiny bores?

Post by Conical bore »

There are some other threads on homemade flute stands here on C&F, you might want to check those out. I think I posted mine on on of them, but here's a refresher.

I needed a way to hold my 8-key flute and a mandolin at the same time because I play both at sessions (or used to, in the Before Times).

I didn't want to use a standard rod type stand because the hole at the end of my Rudall-type flute is very small. A rod that would be strong enough would have to be metal, and I don't like the idea of a metal rod running up through the flute sections. My thinking was that it might scratch the wood surface inside the barrel.

So I came up with this in the photo below.

The base is a short microphone stand. The flute is held in a clamp-on canvas bag that's sold for drummers to hold their drum sticks. The middle section rests against a "String Swing" clamp-on violin hanger. If I'm away from the stand for any amount of time, I use an elastic band across the violin hanger to secure the flute. There is a small block of foam in the bottom of the canvas bag to cushion the flute, and also to wick away any condensation that drips out.

It isn't perfect. The bag is tilted away from the stand and I wish it was vertical, but drummer stick bags are like that. I tried some other things like a leather wine bottle carrier, but this was the easiest way I found to attach a bag like this securely to the mic stand. The stand isn't too heavy to carry around, and it's stable even without the mandolin to counterbalance.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

There are several people on Etsy who will make a custom stand for you. I have no experience with any of them, but there are reviews on the site. Jerrygenterprises is one seller I saw. Another seller to look for is HeritageMusPruducts.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I've been making a whistle rack out of dowels. Its not done and is going to look terrible most likely, but hopefully will be a functional and safe place for my instruments.

A different rack idea I've tought of, it could be possible to make a rack or holder out of things like this
https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Display- ... 08DFNVV2R/
Think 2 side by side, for your flute to rest on. These would be very safe for not scratching your instrument in any way. you could just wall mount two of these, or mount them on a board and wall mount that. Which wouldnt require a lot of crafting skills. Making something good looking that holds multiple and is on a stand or something, now that would be a bit harder.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I have one of these and you can buy the pegs separately. The smaller pegs are for piccolos and work well for conical wooden flutes.
https://m.thomann.de/intl/hercules_stan ... 1620545040
https://m.thomann.de/intl/hercules_stan ... .EUR%3AEUR
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

A bow quiver for a double bass would work. I have one that ties to tailpiece of my bass.

https://amzn.to/3o1JfoM

They come in varying degrees of fancyness, A cheap one is under 40 bucks
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I do use a piccolo stand...this one: https://www.amazon.com/Stands-15250-016 ... b_title_ce

Works great. Stable enough and used at 100 plus gigs over the past 9 years...including some really, really windy days.

Eric
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Jayhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am I do use a piccolo stand...this one: https://www.amazon.com/Stands-15250-016 ... b_title_ce

Works great. Stable enough and used at 100 plus gigs over the past 9 years...including some really, really windy days.
What's the diameter of the wooden rod? I can never find diameter specs on these piccolo stands. The hole at the bottom of my Aebi Rudall-style flute is only 10.5mm. It was a lot larger on the Pratten-ish Windward I played before this one.
est
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Post by est »

Conical bore wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:16 pm There are some other threads on homemade flute stands here on C&F, you might want to check those out. I think I posted mine on on of them, but here's a refresher.

I needed a way to hold my 8-key flute and a mandolin at the same time because I play both at sessions (or used to, in the Before Times).

I didn't want to use a standard rod type stand because the hole at the end of my Rudall-type flute is very small. A rod that would be strong enough would have to be metal, and I don't like the idea of a metal rod running up through the flute sections. My thinking was that it might scratch the wood surface inside the barrel.

So I came up with this in the photo below.

The base is a short microphone stand. The flute is held in a clamp-on canvas bag that's sold for drummers to hold their drum sticks. The middle section rests against a "String Swing" clamp-on violin hanger. If I'm away from the stand for any amount of time, I use an elastic band across the violin hanger to secure the flute. There is a small block of foam in the bottom of the canvas bag to cushion the flute, and also to wick away any condensation that drips out.

It isn't perfect. The bag is tilted away from the stand and I wish it was vertical, but drummer stick bags are like that. I tried some other things like a leather wine bottle carrier, but this was the easiest way I found to attach a bag like this securely to the mic stand. The stand isn't too heavy to carry around, and it's stable even without the mandolin to counterbalance.
Hm, short microphone stand + a couple of attachments does make sense. I'll have to check that out. I've considered looking into the etsy folks, but was hoping someone here might have someone they could recommend. HeritageMusProducts does have a nice looking product, so I may take some measurements and see how it might fit.

I actually lost my olwell cane flute back in 2000 when a spastic guitar player slammed his neck into it and sent it flying. That was on a regular ol' flute stand. I guess now I'll be a bit more careful of placement...
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Conical bore wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 am
Jayhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am I do use a piccolo stand...this one: https://www.amazon.com/Stands-15250-016 ... b_title_ce

What's the diameter of the wooden rod? I can never find diameter specs on these piccolo stands. The hole at the bottom of my Aebi Rudall-style flute is only 10.5mm. It was a lot larger on the Pratten-ish Windward I played before this one.
9.4mm!
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

That's small enough, thanks! I might try this.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Just as another option I've got nothing but good things to say about my Hercules stand, which has screw-in spikes you can buy more of separately if you need to.

The piccolo spike is 10mm at the base.

I've used it on loads of gigs (back when such things happened) and thoroughly recommend.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_stan ... bd8fc86505
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

They do make stands for Recorders, which have tapering bores like Irish flutes, some quite small size.

My solution, back in the early 1980s, was to modify an existing stand.

I don't remember the brand. As you can see it's a foldable cross with five holes. At the time they sold various attachments you could use with that stand, each had a threaded bolt at the bottom that you tightened with a wing-nut. They had holders available for (Boehm) flute and piccolo, and I think also for clarinet.

Since I wanted longer narrower things I came up with inexpensive attachments made from threaded rod, a couple bolts, a washer, some aquarium tubing, and a wing-nut.

When I was playing flute this was my flute stand, it would hold flutes and whistles in various keys and also my flat-pitch uilleann chanter, according to the needs of the gig.

It cannot be calculated how many gigs this stand survived, how many things dropped on it, how much beer and spittle has poured over it.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle