How does olivewood hold up?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Pipa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a beginner looking into the Irish flute. I would like to post a WTB ad for a Casey Burns small hand folk flute since they are not made any more.

How does olivewood hold up?

Post by Pipa »

I will probably bow to common sense and buy my first flute from a conventional tonewood, but I am extremely concerned with weight and ergonomics due to my injury history and I can’t help being intrigued by olivewood flutes. I’ve read the previous threads here on olivewood instruments (mostly whistles and pipe chanters), and I am wondering if there are enough olivewood flutes out there that people have seen how well they hold up with proper maintenance, and if any difference has been seen between European and African sources.
Steve Bliven

Re: How does olivewood hold up?

Post by Steve Bliven »

Pipa wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:18 pm I will probably bow to common sense and buy my first flute from a conventional tonewood, but I am extremely concerned with weight and ergonomics due to my injury history and I can’t help being intrigued by olivewood flutes. I’ve read the previous threads here on olivewood instruments (mostly whistles and pipe chanters), and I am wondering if there are enough olivewood flutes out there that people have seen how well they hold up with proper maintenance, and if any difference has been seen between European and African sources.
Can't speak to the difference between European and African sources, but I had a Bleazy olivewood flute for a couple of years. I saw no issues with the wood itself. Very nice playing, light, and visually attractive. My concern was with the maker's construction of the particular instrument. I note that Windward flutes uses olivewood a lot. That might be a place to check for their experiences.

I haven't seen any mention of boxwood in you questions/comments. I'm a fan of boxwood for its light weight and its appearance. I have, or have had, several boxwood instruments and haven't noticed any issues. Many will raise concerns about bending/warping but I haven't experienced that. I've had antiques, flutes from the 1990s and new instruments and haven't had any problems.

Best of luck in your search.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I haven't seen any reports of olivewood flutes warping, but have for boxwood. One possible problem - olivewood is apparently an attractive snack to dogs (must like Italian cooking).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I've heard of recorders being made of olivewood. I'll have to have a google, though, because I can't remember if I've ever read anything about their longevity. I seem to recall that they were not grouped in with softer/cheaper woods like maple or pearwood, so maybe it's considered to be on the more-durable side?
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Pipa
Tell us something.: I am a beginner looking into the Irish flute. I would like to post a WTB ad for a Casey Burns small hand folk flute since they are not made any more.

Post by Pipa »

kkrell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm One possible problem - olivewood is apparently an attractive snack to dogs (must like Italian cooking).
Ruh roh! I’m already worried about keeping the Big Stick away from the dog, so that’s worth considering.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a friend with an olive wood flute he has had for several years...seems stable and it's gorgeous.

Eric
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Oddly enough, the best results I got from Googling were right here, lol.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92447&start=15
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.