Lehart/copper rings

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Squeeky Elf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Lehart/copper rings

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Do any of you know if Gilles Lehart treats his copper in any way that would prevent it from turning funky colors as coppper often does?
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
tradlad123
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Re: Lehart/copper rings

Post by tradlad123 »

I had one for about 2 years and it did not turn particularly green or anything. I also noticed the rings were a little shiny, which hints of some sort of polishing or something, but I can't say with absolute certainty.
I think your best bet would be to ask Gilles himself. He was very responsive when I bought the flute.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Thanks for the info. I am a little hesitant to reach out to Gilles, as I'm almost certain it would lead to the placing of an order.
paddler

Post by paddler »

The copper rings on Lehart's flutes do gradually change color as they age. They develop a kind of patina that looks quite nice, in my opinion.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that I actually prefer the look of the aged rings over the new shiny ones. If you do a google image search for
"Lehart flute" you can easily find some examples of older flutes to see how the rings look.

I've had one of his low Bb flutes for about 10 years now, and I still love it. I like the unique look of Lehart's flutes, but more importantly, I like
how they play and sound.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Thank you paddler, that is good to know. I love the look of aged copper, it's when it turns green and blue that it bothers me. It's nice to know you have held onto your Lehart flute for as long as you have, given how quickly flutes tend to cycle around here.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I owned a Lehart Bb flute many years ago - the rings are not treated as far as I can tell.
They develop patina due to oxidation and if the flute is played are also handled and touched.
It would take many many years of undisturbed oxidation for them to turn green:
https://images.app.goo.gl/dbXMg4p2xYGS6C9F8
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Interesting chart. I guess that’s brass out and exposed to the elements? I suppose the trick to developing and sustaining a nice dark patina might be to wipe them down now and then but not too enthusiastically.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Squeeky Elf wrote:Interesting chart. I guess that’s brass out and exposed to the elements?
Exposure outside seems to be the key to getting that green patina over time, due to airborne sulfur and plenty of moisture and rain.

FWIW, I have a large custom-made copper exhaust hood over my kitchen stove. Pure copper, no clearcoat. We installed it 20 years ago, never polish it, and it's a typical dark copper-colored patina. It has never showed a hint of green color. Same with some solid copper pots and pans we have that are about the same age. I would expect copper rings on a flute to be the same, just darkening a bit over time.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

The flute I sold can be seen here:
https://www.irishflutestore.com/product ... -keyless-d
If you look at the third pic, you will notice what I meant by some sort of shine, above.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

That's a beauty, alright. I know it's not the main criteria when choosing a flute, but I really do like the look of his flutes.

So it's sounds like I would be ok as long as I didn't leave the flute outside for years at a time. I think even I can handle that.