Not too hard (or high!) 19th century repertoire?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Not too hard (or high!) 19th century repertoire?

Post by ertwert »

Hi,
I want to make more use of my keyed flute, a 6 key Pratten model. I would like to play "classical" music that was played on these instruments back then.
I have already played some baroque stuff (Telemann, Boismortiere, Quantz) on my 6 key flute, that I used to play on my Boehm flute. I especially like Telemanns canonic sonatas. They are more challenging than most of the Boismortiere repertoire that I have seen but not as hard as Telemanns fantasias.
But I know that my Pratten flute is not what Baroque composers had in mind when they wrote this stuff...therefore I would like to discover repertoire that was written for my simple system flute and that suits my level...I took a short look on Kuhlau and Köhler, but much of that is too hard for me and I especially dislike the focus on third octave playing.

What mid 19th century composers would you recommend me? Difficulty compared to Telemanns canonic sonatas or fantasias and without a focus on the third octave?
I especially appreciate duets, because I like to record me playing one of the voices and than play in duet with myself :D
Thanks!
Flutern
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Not too hard (or high!) 19th century repertoire?

Post by Flutern »

A piece I'm playing these days, which is really beautiful and was composed in 1898, is the Sicilienne by Gabriel Fauré. It was originally written for cello, but it's often played on the flute. There's a couple of third octave F's and Eb's, but apart from that most of the piece is in the first two octaves. There is one low C at the very end (a sixteenth note) that you can probably skip or turn into an F or something if you only have 6 keys.
The score is freely available here:
https://www.free-scores.com/download-sh ... 44959#play

It's really good to practice sliding between long F and G#.

Edit: Here is Emmanuel Pahud's rendering of the piece.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
cac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

It is not easy to find music of the same quality as that of Telemann, Bach and Handel for the flute in the 18th century. Schubert's variations on 'Trockne Blumen' are very nice and although one variation goes up to 3rd octave a and another to 3rd octave g#, most go no higher than e3. There are many performances on youtube and here is a link to a number of editions of the music itself:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Introduction_and ... %2C_Franz). Andersen's numerous lovely studies were written for the simple system flute, Drouet's 25 studies are very nice and many don't go very high. Devienne's duets are also nice and I believe some don't go high or at least not often. Finally, although not of the same quality as the preceding, Gariboldi's studies are much easier, although still challenging when they go high (which isn't always). I particularly like op. 132 (20 studies).
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Very much a shot in the dark, and these Scottish harp tunes contain some gems (not all, so you have to check them all out). I don't know when they were written but it might have been in the mid-nineteenth or earlier. They are played well but slowly and I crank the speed up to 1.5. FWIW, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp33G2uBli8&t=1916s