Yahoo Groups Demise

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hpinson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Yahoo Groups Demise

Post by hpinson »

I don't know if anyone has noticed this -- it seems that Yahoo Groups have gone away, and there is a limited window where group content can be retrieved. Has anyone with admin privileges requested the full content of the Yahoo Flutemakers group? It will be a tragic loss of a priceless body of knowledge, if this information just goes away.

[quote]Hi Yahoo Member,

In recent weeks, we communicated the latest changes to Yahoo Groups and explained how to request a download of any content you've previously posted to the platform. Some Groups users asked us for more time, and in response to these requests, we have decided to extend the deadline. Groups users now have until Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:59pm PST to submit a request for their data.

We have now taken down all user content from the Yahoo Groups website. However, we will continue to accept users' requests for their data until January 31, 2020, and will ensure these have been fulfilled prior to deleting the data.

For additional support, users can email YahooGroupsEscalations@verizonmedia.com and our team will troubleshoot any issues.

Best,
The Yahoo Groups team [/quote]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Yahoo Groups Demise

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm copying this to the Pub.
hpinson wrote:Has anyone with admin privileges requested the full content of the Yahoo Flutemakers group? It will be a tragic loss of a priceless body of knowledge, if this information just goes away.
I didn't know there was a Yahoo Flutemakers group. Tell me more.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
hpinson wrote:Has anyone with admin privileges requested the full content of the Yahoo Flutemakers group? It will be a tragic loss of a priceless body of knowledge, if this information just goes away.
I didn't know there was a Yahoo Flutemakers group. Tell me more.
Yahoo Groups wrote: Welcome to Flutemakers !

Group Description
A source of discussion and advice on all aspects of flute building. Such topics may include the acoustics of woodwinds, placement of finger holes, ergonomics, wood and metal turning, computer modelling, and more. Discussions can encompass all sorts of flutes, from simple-system Irish flutes to shakuhachis, ocarinas, and whistles. Many of these topics also relate directly to reed pipes, and pipers are welcome (although we may limit posts regarding reed-making to about 1,000!)

"Flutes shouldn't be demure. Lascivious is good." - Terry McGee (Australian Flutemaker)
I have an archive of the Flutemakers Group messages (as Digests) since the start in January 2003 as a Mozilla Thunderbird email folder (on Windows). It also includes the Flute-tech Group frpm message # 38 that seems to have preceded it from April 2000 until the Yahoo Group. Only a small number of messages had attachments, which unfortunately are not included. I do not believe there was a photo section utilized on the Yahoo server anyway. Users mostly provided links to content elsewhere on the internet (or their own sites), and those of course may be gone (or perhaps findable on the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine).

This folder can be indexed into anyone's Mozilla Thunderbird installation, & can be text searched on your local computer.

Let me know if I need to make this an available resource.

Kevin
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:Let me know if I need to make this an available resource.
Do you think it's something C&F should try to archive? I really have no clue as to what it would entail, whether there is more than one way to do it, and if there's a lot of info, how much of a strain it'll put on C&F's resources.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
kkrell wrote:Let me know if I need to make this an available resource.
Do you think it's something C&F should try to archive? I really have no clue as to what it would entail, whether there is more than one way to do it, and if there's a lot of info, how much of a strain it'll put on C&F's resources.
Folder size is 64 MB. I can toss it in a DropBox folder & we'll just let it be our little secret. I think Thunderbird is the easiest way to import/read/search it.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

I'm of the opinion that there is so much flute-making knowledge encapsulated in that group, that if Chiff could take it on, it would be a service to humanity.

If the message archive is 64 MB that should not be a strain at all. I believe there were some associated files - plans and such - which might drive the size up a bit, bit I don't think it was huge.

Terry has been involved deeply in that group over the years and may have been an admin. Maybe he has some input and could make the request for the full final archive from Yahoo. The window on this is closing fast.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, someone get together with me on this - PM is probably best - and let's see if we can come up with a viable and user-friendly outcome. Ben will be in on it too, of course. I'm normally unwilling to add any more stickies, but this could be an exception. If we can avoid a stickie, that would be a plus.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, someone get together with me on this - PM is probably best - and let's see if we can come up with a viable and user-friendly outcome. Ben will be in on it too, of course. I'm normally unwilling to add any more stickies, but this could be an exception. If we can avoid a stickie, that would be a plus.
The Yahoo Flutemakers group (which doesn't include the original Flutetech group discussions) has been moved to the following address:

https://groups.io/g/flutemakers/

Saves you a bit of bother.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Fantastic. Thank you!
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an early flute group on Yahoo, that focused on vintage instruments?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Uni Flute wrote:I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an early flute group on Yahoo, that focused on vintage instruments?
Yes,
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/earlyflute/info
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

kkrell wrote:
Uni Flute wrote:I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an early flute group on Yahoo, that focused on vintage instruments?
Yes,
There was some good stuff on the Earlyflute group too. Unfortunately it seems the original founder of the group, the only Admin, is no longer active in such online matters and attempts to reach him to prompt some kind of save or migration failed. I've no idea if any members did anything independently to save material. I have an archive of selected e-mail digests, FWIW, but part of the problem is, I think, that generally activity on such forums had declined to moribundity.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Yes,
There was some good stuff on the Earlyflute group too. Unfortunately it seems the original founder of the group, the only Admin, is no longer active in such online matters and attempts to reach him to prompt some kind of save or migration failed. I've no idea if any members did anything independently to save material. I have an archive of selected e-mail digests, FWIW, but part of the problem is, I think, that generally activity on such forums had declined to moribundity.
I have the Digests from #2722 March 5, 2011 through to #3672 on Dec. 13, 2019.
samll
Tell us something.: I'm really interested in traditional Irish music and want to join your forum to join the conversation and maybe find some friends

Post by samll »

I could be mistaken, but wasn't there an early flute group on Yahoo, that focused on vintage instruments?
Yes,
does anyone still use yahoo groups?
Hi there