Mopane v/s Blackwood humidity/temperature response

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Mopane v/s Blackwood humidity/temperature response

Post by tradlad123 »

Hello all,
If you have tried Mopane and Blackwood both, did you notice any difference in the humidity/temperature variation response?
Is one better (more stable) than the other noticeably?

Thanks
tstermitz

Re: Mopane v/s Blackwood humidity/temperature response

Post by tstermitz »

I have noticed that mopane seems more porous and absorbs humidity. When not kept at a stable humidity, I noticed that the rings would become loose.

Blackwood seems to also have some movement, as I notice swelling of the joints. At least, more so than my antique cocus flute.

But, I'm not sure when comparing Mopane to Blackwood.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I've had both. Blackwood is so very close grained and dense--thus its popularity with instrument makers. Mopane is very slightly less dense and not as close grained.

Both work well for flutes. I would guess, based on my experience, that blackwood would win the edge on response to humidity change. The only flute I've had that had rings come loose was made from Mopane. Although, I've since learned how to better store my flutes--humidor made for cigars. It works wonderfully and I no longer worry about humidity control.
birdman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by birdman »

I believe the difference is probably negligible. I have had both blackwood and mopane flutes...for years. The only one that had rings come loose was a blackwood flute. In that case it became tight again after some playing and attention to humidification. I live in S Ontario Canada where winters can be quite dry. These occurrences are due, in my opinion, to a couple of factors - poor humidification (maybe due to irregular playing) and maybe poor construction? I am not a flute maker. As I said, I would think the differences between blackwood and mopane, given proper care are negligible and not worth worrying about. My two cents.
patience, young grasshopper