Another overwhelmed beginner looking for her first flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Re: Another overwhelmed beginner looking for her first flute

Post by cac »

Hi again Hullu--
What I write here won't help you choose a maker, but I think it will be useful information. I've just finished a long playing session in which I alternated my Rob Forbes delrin Pratten-style flute with my Gary Somers delrin Rudall-Rose-style flute (note that this has medium-sized tone holes, not large tone holes like later Rudalls). I played my usual fairly extensive warm-up exercises on each and then played a bunch of reels, some jigs, some hornpipes and some barn dances. For every tune I played it once (with repeats) on one type of flute and then once (with repeats) with the other type of flute. I was quite surprised by the differences, and some may want to take issue with what I write based on their own experiences. As to tonal quality, in the first octave, the Somers flute was darker in tone and the Forbes was reedier in tone. I have always wondered what 'darker' meant when applied to a flute tone, but it was the right word here. In the second octave, the Somers flute was sweeter, and the Forbes flute still reedy although less so. The Forbes flute took significantly more air than the Somers flute and was noticeably louder. I found that ornaments were crisper on the larger-holed flute (this is contrary to what others have written, but has always been my experience, not just this time). Both types of tone would work well for Irish trad music, and I enjoyed playing both flutes. I'm sorry that Garry Somers workshop is temporarily closed. If you don't want to wait, then I would suggest a medium-holed Rudall by Vicenzo Di Mauro (I believe he makes both medium- and large-holed models). For a delrin flute I don't think a case is necessary (you can easily make a fabric one yourself) and for a beginner in Irish music, keys aren't needed either (and are never needed for 95% or so of the tunes). I hope this helps. Have fun!
Amanda S
Tell us something.: I have always wondered what in earth a Fipple could possible be? So, in an effort to find out... I thought it prudent to join a community forum and pursue the matter. And to be honest, I'am not exactly sure what a Chiff is either. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow I will finally know?!

Post by Amanda S »

huilu wrote:Hello guys,

. . . As I live in the EU, I was looking for sellers who are also located here . . .
Thank you in advance!

G'Day from Minnesota! You mite be interested in this Lon Dubh Polymer Irish Flute made by Mcneela Instruments in Dublin? I absolutely luv mine and it actually sounds better than some wooden flutes i have heard... but sound is relative:) All i can say for sure is... the Low D is loud and dark! Jst in case u like to rotate the finger holes? You wont be able to.. on the Lon Dubh flute they are all on the same section... which is not a big deal (for ME anywayz)

BTW... they are on sale (until Saturday 11-28-20) because of the "Black Friday" thingy. Here's a link to Mcneely Instruments and the flute description with pic's and all that fun stuff :)
https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/the-lon-d ... ish-flute/

cheers, Amanda

EDiT: forgot to mention, Mcneela Instruments gives u 14 days to return the flute if it's not for u... sweet!
Last edited by Amanda S on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

'We use an advanced sealing technique which ensures that the flute doesn't leak precious air and enables you to produce that all important strong low D.'

Mumbo-jumbo! What 'advanced sealing technique'? The joints and stopper on a new flute shouldn't leak anyway, but they can't guarantee your finger placement!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
huilu
Tell us something.: A long time ago, my main instrument was the Boehm flute. Later on, I developed a fascination for traditional instruments used in folk music. After having tried out several stringed instruments, the Irish flute caught my interest.

Post by huilu »

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your experience!

Besides the Delrin flutes recommended here, I now also have another option that I'm considering: a resin infused Pratten-style flute by Geoffrey Ellis which I could get (secondhand) for about the same price as the Delrin flutes mentioned here. I'm still trying to make up my mind. The previous owners of that resin infused flute both say it sounds better than any Delrin flute, but at the same time is also very durable/low maintenance and of course, it has the nice wooden look to it. However, I haven't found much information on this flute on here or elsewhere, which probably is because Geoffrey Ellis doesn't make these anymore...
cac wrote:Hi again Hullu--
PS - Mind the spelling: huilu and hullu are both words from Finnish, one translates as 'flute', the other as 'insane'. :D
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

huilu wrote:The previous owners of that resin infused flute both say it sounds better than any Delrin flute
While that's a subjective claim that's simply not provable, Geoffrey is both a highly-respected maker and contributor here and it sounds like another good option for you.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Ellis flutes are considered to be quite good. The epoxy infusion makes them very stable and permits a wide variety of woods. Colored epoxies are also available.

His newer ones are cylindrical body because they use a taper in the head joint. That gives them both proper intonation and good volume.

He is also working with colored ebonite.

Blayne at the Irishflutestore.com really likes them, and he has done a couple videos on Geoffrey's flutes.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=407106309480623
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

tstermitz wrote:Ellis flutes are considered to be quite good. The epoxy infusion makes them very stable and permits a wide variety of woods. Colored epoxies are also available.

His newer ones are cylindrical body because they use a taper in the head joint. That gives them both proper intonation and good volume.

He is also working with colored ebonite.

Blayne at the Irishflutestore.com really likes them, and he has done a couple videos on Geoffrey's flutes.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=407106309480623
While they are probably good players, my concerns would be 1) no tuning slide, and 2) because of the external profile, the grip would likely be different on a cylindrical body vs. the traditional conical.

I think there's definitely a place for his models among other choices, but it doesn't strike me as a good start for the OP.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
huilu
Tell us something.: A long time ago, my main instrument was the Boehm flute. Later on, I developed a fascination for traditional instruments used in folk music. After having tried out several stringed instruments, the Irish flute caught my interest.

Post by huilu »

kkrell wrote: While they are probably good players, my concerns would be 1) no tuning slide, and 2) because of the external profile, the grip would likely be different on a cylindrical body vs. the traditional conical.
The flutes in the video linked by tstermitz are not the same model, though. The flute I was talking about is this one: https://www.irishflutestore.com/product ... sh-flute-1 (see also the linked video in my post)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

huilu wrote:
kkrell wrote: While they are probably good players, my concerns would be 1) no tuning slide, and 2) because of the external profile, the grip would likely be different on a cylindrical body vs. the traditional conical.
The flutes in the video linked by tstermitz are not the same model, though. The flute I was talking about is this one: https://www.irishflutestore.com/product ... sh-flute-1 (see also the linked video in my post)
If you're talking about his World Flutes/Irish Flutes category, with slides, conical build, etc., than sure.
https://www.ellisflutes.com/world-flutes/irish-flutes

Those prices also put you in line with flutes from other makers as well. Triple the price step up from your first message discussing Seery & etc. In fact, that sort of pricing opens you up to some makers in Brittany, possible keyed flutes, even.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

huilu wrote:PS - Mind the spelling: huilu and hullu are both words from Finnish, one translates as 'flute', the other as 'insane'. :D
Hmmm, clearly the Fins are on to us. Robert Browning, 1812-1889, might have foreseen this....

I want to know a butcher paints,
A baker rhymes for his pursuit,
Candlestick-maker much acquaints
His soul with song, or, haply mute,
Blows out his brains upon the flute.

There was another poem I can't quite bring to mind on the same topic, possibly published in the Musical Times. It went something like:

Nature gave flute players brains, without a doubt
but then they go and blow them out....
huilu

Post by huilu »

Indeed, a second thought it must have been a Freudian typo...
kkrell wrote: If you're talking about his World Flutes/Irish Flutes category, with slides, conical build, etc., than sure.
https://www.ellisflutes.com/world-flutes/irish-flutes
No, I'm talking about the flute that I linked, a resin infused Ellis which is not listed on the website anymore. It falls into the same price category as most of the Delrin flutes recommended here.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Perhaps a Casey Burns 3D-printed resin Folk Flute would be a good choice, once he begins releasing those, priced at about USD $450.

I re-read a bunch of the posts Geoffrey Ellis made as he was developing his vacuum-infused resin experiments back around 2014. Lots of interesting discussion here on the Chiff and Fipple board. There were issues, and I'd be cautious about picking up a used model when to my mind there are other, better choices.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I'm very curious to give the Burns resin flute a go. If it plays as well as his Folk Flute, it could be a hit. So many great flutes available--lots of good choices.
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

I'll throw in another vote for Damien Thompson here...

Of the other flutes mentioned above, I've tried a couple and owned an M&E. I did not have a good experience with the M&E - it was very heavy, had a weak bell note, some quality control issues, and it really felt like you had to fight it to get it to play. Thompson flutes on the other hand are fantastic. I've known Damian for a long time and played many of his flutes over the years as he was developing his current offering. He offers a range of different options, including 'student' and 'two-piece' models that are very cost effective, as well as more traditional looking flutes with silver rings etc. One thing I will say is that no less effort goes into his more economical flutes, and every one of his flutes that I've played are fantastic. He's a great guy to boot, and will be happy to answer your questions or work with you to meet your specific requirements.

Couple clips of me playing my Eb Thompson, which he tailored so that I could also use the head joint on my Grinter, should I ever take that particular notion.

https://www.facebook.com/683422526/vide ... 589662527/

https://vimeo.com/361803453
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm a novice flute player but check out flutes by Davy Angus (is what I have). His flutes are wooden, but are very affordable compared to the competition and the quality seems very good. He's from the UK, and even shipped to the USA shipping was very cheap. so shipping to EU should be easy. It plays much easier than my dixon 1 piece. Idk how it compares to other high end makers.

Heres a link to the one I have. Its his cheapest conical wooden one with a tuning slide
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/epages/ ... %5B1%5D%22

He has other woods, but Sapele is a very affordable tone wood, its similar to mahogany but much cheaper.

And yes, its wood, which occasionally needs to be oiled. I've oiled it like a whole 1 or 2 times (I advise doing it more often tho, like every couple weeks or once a month). No issues sofar. Only takes a few minutes. And I run a cleaning rod through it when I'm done playing to keep it try. So I wouldn't worry about the wood being too much work. Delrin is obviously less work though.

Just my 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you chose to get.