Popping sound of Matt Molloy in the Providence Reel

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Popping sound of Matt Molloy in the Providence Reel

Post by ertwert »

Hello,
I know that this topic has already been discussed, but not on the example of a specific phrase or tune. And therefore I wasn't sure
how to interpret it.

How does Matt Molloy get this popping sound of f and g when he plays d-f-d-g-d-f-d in the second bar of the providence reel?
https://youtu.be/kVdsfCTRZmo?t=49

In another discussion it was argued that it might have been a bit a recording trick with microphones next to the tone holes.
An argument for this theory might be that this recording of him, playing the same reel, lacks this level of popping sound:
https://youtu.be/3hNGzFdtG20?t=74

So far, I either play this phrase with g cut or respectively a cut, when I play d-f or d-g (d-g gut -f or d -a cut - g) or
I explosively push air out of my lunges to get more power to f and g. But I am still
not happy with the outcome.

Thanks for you help :)
kidonthemountain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Multi-instrumentalist based in New England. Want to see what's happening out there in the trad world.

Re: Popping sound of Matt Molloy in the Providence Reel

Post by kidonthemountain »

I think it's just a very fast cut, using one of these techniques after playing the d:

- finger f (or g) but leave the left hand third finger up, then VERY quickly put it down
- same thing, but start with the f (or g), then VERY quickly lift the left hand third finger up and put it down

He doesn't do it all the time, and sometimes he does it on the e at the start of the third bar. Variety is good. Matt's supremely fast and well-timed finger twitches on his ornaments are something to aspire to!