Grunting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Grunting

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Grunting happens to some players when they are beginners or have been without playing for much time. It simply disappears with practice,
Not sure that's entirely true. I have noticed it in very fine and experienced fluteplayers, notably one who had been playing the flute for over 60 years at that point.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Juan Pablo Plata wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:05 am Glottal stops/tonguing are not grunting, and the practice of these techniques are not related to this problem in any way.

Grunting happens to some players when they are beginners or have been without playing for much time. It simply disappears with practice, so dont worry, just play and have fun.
I wouldn’t call Conal O Grada (one of the best Irish flute players, imo) a “beginner”, by any means.

And yes, it happens to some people more often when they glottal stop. It doesn’t occur for me, but everyone is different.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

O´Grada doesn´t grunt. He is a Flute God on earth.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Juan Pablo Plata wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am O´Grada doesn´t grunt. He is a Flute God on earth.
You can clearly hear him grunting on some recordings when doing glottal stops.
srampino
Tell us something.: Playing flute since October 2019. Flutes: practice flute by Hammy Hamilton, R&R-based Delrin keyless by Vincenzo di Mauro, Pratten-based Delrin keyless by Rob Forbes, R&R 6-key polymer M&E, R&R-based 8-key Delrin by Vincenzo di Mauro, R&R 6-key African blackwood by Steffen Gabriel. Based in Pisa, Italy.

Post by srampino »

Not sure the OP meant exactly this, but to me it happens to have the vocal cords engaged when trying to pulse on the bottom notes (mostly E and D), or immediately after a glottal stop on these notes. It's like pronouncing "uh" while at the same time blowing. I have been working to eliminate this issue recently: what I have noticed is that those sounds disappear when the air flow comes from below (can't be more technical, sorry!) with little or no invovlement of the breast and/or the throat to push the air (so probably this post has it right: https://www.jennifercluff.com/throaty.htm).

Sergio