Used woodwind / disease, how to sanitize them?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Fildafluter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Re: Used woodwind / disease, how to sanitize them?

Post by Fildafluter »

Nanohedron wrote:
Fildafluter wrote:Who is John Skelton?
Assuming that isn't a rhetorical question, here's yer man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr-qOnu1M-4

Fildafluter wrote:Mention of which isn't the yoke who runs our competitor ITM chatzine ...
Let us not make adversaries out of nothing. The Session is a neighbor worthy of our good will; Chiffers also happen to be members there, and I pop on over myself from time to time to grab a tune or two. C&F and The Session each fill particular niches, so I see the two more as wheels on the same vehicle.

That said, there's no helping the fact that you just can't please everyone.
Ok, thanks for the explanation of 'yer man'. Before now I never heard of him.

Other thing, you may have noticed - native Irish - I keep up with the news from the ould sod. In it the yalla website has a reputation for nastiness towards our farmer flooter class of people. That's why I mentioned it.

As for myself, I never use the website. And for the record, in my book, anybody who does probably ain't Oirish

Now for the tunes, and the dots. We, the natives, are well known for not using, nor, for the most part needing them. But if somebody really needs to get a tune, and its umpteen variations, there is but one website on the internet where they will not be disappointed.

http://abcnotation.com/search ABC notation WS

Having read all the wonderful sanitizing, and technical, suggestions I am now prepared for everything including mushroom growths in the head, or worse.

Thank you all for the banter, the slagging not a thing I could expect modern off folks to understand - but if we cannot have the craic, what can we have? Because dry Marietta biscuits and tay is not going to cut it! Especially for ould brummie lads who move to Co. Clare to propel themselves to stardom.

I'll get me hat :thumbsup:
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Fildafluter wrote:Other thing, you may have noticed - native Irish -
It was hard to miss. :wink:
Fildafluter wrote:I keep up with the news from the ould sod. In it the yalla website has a reputation for nastiness towards our farmer flooter class of people. That's why I mentioned it.
Not being a member myself, nor even a lurker, I was unaware of the reputation, TBH. Well, then, let the dead bury the dead.
Fildafluter wrote:Now for the tunes, and the dots. We, the natives, are well known for not using, nor, for the most part needing them. But if somebody really needs to get a tune, and its umpteen variations, there is but one website on the internet where they will not be disappointed.

http://abcnotation.com/search ABC notation WS
You might be unaware of it, but a lot of the folks here at C&F - Irish or no - are ear learners, myself included. I only learned the dots after the fact as an added resource, and even so I can't read well. If it's outside the tradition, forget it. I prefer to learn by ear every time, but it's not always possible when I'm in a hurry or need my memory jogged - but it's not often.

But as you say, there are plenty of other resources out there. While everyone is going to have their preferences, as Admin I must ask people not to make C&F and The Session a matter of public sectarian politics. We take a dim view of that, and besides, there are more important things. Each attracts its own, but let's not let our loyalties get out of hand. That said, we do appreciate your hearty support. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Seattle_DiziFlute
Tell us something.: I came here to find out how to disinfect my Dizi flute and to tell others how I did it. I've been playing Dizi Flute since mid April.

Post by Seattle_DiziFlute »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hi all,

New to this forum. I searched this site and many others to figure out how to sanitize my dizi flute then decided Bleach would be the worst, then rubbing alcohol, then vinegar
- althought they were the most sanitizing. After that, tree oil, etc. were all things I wasn't used to as antiseptics so wasn't going to trust. I would pick one of the first 3. I chose vinegar since I use it yearly, for my windows. I know first hand that it keeps the mold away. Since I'm in a wet climate mold is a big deal. It's mold and fungus that I'm most worried about in my flute.
After reading the warnings that vinegar will make your flute smell (nope) and will strip off the finish (it didn't), I went all in today. Out came a big pan, filled it with apple cider vinegar - same as I use on my windows, and soaked for a few mins, and poured in the holes because after I dumped it out, it dawned on me the membrane should be removed for this to clean under an around that.
I risnsed with medium hot water and voila, my flute was still completely intact for finish and the vinegar smell went away after being washed out. It turns out it evaporates and faster than I could blow on it, when it was dry because I never detected it.
What did happen was the tape on the flute looked worse for wear with some coming up from the flute, while wet, but after it dried, it pressed back down into place. Still I think the tape looks a little worn now.
I'm using Florist tape - $2 at Walmart and I taped it myself so it's no problem to replace, however, I don't think I need to replace mine. If you guys ever use florist tape - its green from walmart, but comes in all colors and it has to be strettched a little to stick. Most people think it doesn't stick at all because they don't realize they have to stretch it for it to get sticky. It gets sticky on both sides but the stick goes away in an hour or two for the outside.
I'm happy with the result. The holes show dark wood when I look in now. Before they were white which was probably mostly dust(I hope it wasn't mold.)
I'm now going to do this to my flute once a month because I don't want mold/mildew in there.
I have a glossy finish on my flute - it's only a $40 Amazon.com flute. But I love my "C" Dizi flute and I was willing to lose the finish entirely to trade off and get a sanitized flute.
I lost nothing.
Vinnegar is supposed to remove 85% of molds out there. For my area - the Seattle area, I think it will be fine.
Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

What would be recommended for sanitising a brass TW, I would use vinegar but would that not force a patina on the brass?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Soap and water.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

I see this thread has been revived, and I had a memory of something I'd seen ...
It was at the Early Music Shop, "FlautiSept - Disinfectant spray for Recorders"

https://earlymusicshop.com/collections/ ... -recorders

Personally, I might consider this on a wooden instrument that's been handed around or got mouldy, but for plastic and metal whistles, a good warm soapy wash and soak should do.