Introducing my flutes, website, and essay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
adamstjohn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I make simple flutes from a variety of woods, particularly interested in native pacific northwest woods. I also make other instruments. Cheers!

Introducing my flutes, website, and essay

Post by adamstjohn »

Hey everyone,

It's my honor to share with yall my work. I think you may be especially interested in my essay on flutemaking.

The essay, "Acoustics for Flutemaking" is available on the "Acoustics" page of the website. Or for download more directly, here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4138181 ... ute-Making

Here are a couple excerpts from the essay which I feel are relevant to post here:

"This text is mostly applicable to keyless, wooden flutes of western European style, such as Renaissance or Irish flutes. It will primarily set out to investigate the acoustics of simple transverse flutes, summarizing the most important aspects for flutemakers and translating them into practical and simple guidelines."

"I welcome and encourage any critique. Perhaps this text with further some sort of conversation. After all, I hold no masters degree; I am not a proper acoustician. I am sure there are flaws to be found in the simplifications of conceptual physics that I provide throughout. But after having spent countless hours away from the woodshop, digging through search results and textbook indexes, attempting to answer my own basic questions about flute design, it would be a shame for me not to compile and share that information in the form of a text that I wish I myself had had before. If you can’t find the book you’re looking for, maybe that means you should write that book."

I really really would appreciate any and all feedback on this, so I am very open to hearing any criticism. If anyone wants to reach out to me and give it some special attention, let it be known I will update the essay with them included in a acknowledgements section at least. Feel free to message me.

I hope this isn't too pretentious! Glad to contribute..

I'll be vending at a solstice festival in the woods this weekend, without cellphone service. And so I may be slow to respond, but I look forward to checking back in soon.

Thanks everyone, this community is a true gem.

-Adam
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Introducing my flutes, website, and essay

Post by fatmac »

Unfortunately unavailable unless you sign in to Scribd! :(
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

adamstjohn wrote:Hey everyone,

It's my honor to share with yall my work. I think you may be especially interested in my essay on flutemaking.
I've skimmed through the essay and read portions of it more in-depth, and I'm going to continue perusing it. But at a glance I think you've done a great job of articulating the principles and distilling the science. That is no mean feat. You've clearly put a lot of work into it and your writing is lucid and easy to follow. I think you've succeeded in your objective: "It will primarily set out to investigate the acoustics of simple transverse flutes, summarizing the most important aspects for flutemakers and translating them into practical and simple guidelines."

Well done!
Hi4head
Tell us something.: Just recently I’ve begun playing a transverse flute. I’m wanting to learn more about simple system flutes and playing.

Post by Hi4head »

Adam,
Thanks for sharing your work.
One somewhat key point on your website is the video which allows potential customers to hear the flutes. Unless I’m mistaken, all flutes demonstrated are in a minor. If you are desiring to sell some of your flutes for Irish/folk music, you may wish to include a demonstration (or sound clip) for major tunings.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

Chris
adamstjohn
Tell us something.: I make simple flutes from a variety of woods, particularly interested in native pacific northwest woods. I also make other instruments. Cheers!

Post by adamstjohn »

Hey I just wanted to leave this note here...

The essay "Acoustics for Flutemaking" was published in FoRMHI Quarterly No. 150, August 2020, as
Comm 2131 Acoustics for Flutemaking, by Adam St. John
sunlipped song a th'lapping leaf people
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Hi Adam--Where is your website? I would like to read your essay but neither of the two places you give allow simple downloading. Thanks, Chet