Duet on a budget.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Duet on a budget.

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
rogervj
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Re: Duet on a budget.

Post by rogervj »

How is this possible :-?
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Is there maybe a fipple wedge in the end that he's blowing into? I don't know how you'd get the higher pitch with the same air column though. Or for that matter, how you'd get two different notes in the same air column, unless maybe they're part of the same harmonic series? It's a puzzlement.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

???? I thought maybe he was vibrating his lips. Never mind...
"Luck is important"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

rogervj wrote:How is this possible :-?
The guy on the butt end of the flute is sounding it similarly to a quena/shakuhachi/California-style Native American flute by blowing across the far edge. Not all that dissimilar to splitting the air column on the far side of a transverse flute headpiece.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Steve Bliven wrote:
rogervj wrote:How is this possible :-?
The guy on the butt end of the flute is sounding it similarly to a quena/shakuhachi/California-style Native American flute by blowing across the far edge. Not all that dissimilar to splitting the air column on the far side of a transverse flute headpiece.

Best wishes.

Steve

I get how he's making sound, but I don't get how to notes are occupying the air column at the same time. It seems like there would have to be a barrier in the middle of the flute, so it's effectively two flutes
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Drop two stones in still water, a short distance apart. Notice how the ripples from each stone retain their identity as they pass over the ripples from the other. I wouldn't have guessed it would apply to sound waves in a tube like that, but of course it should. It works with all the other waves I can think of.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Without going frame by frame (if that term still applies to video), I'd hypothesize that at all times there is a hole being vented below whatever note each of the two is playing. That way their vibrating air columns might not collide or at least have significant impact on each other. If that's not the case, then maybe magic....

Best wishes.

Steve
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I was thinking there would be phase cancellation as two similar notes were sounded at the same time--at the very least you would expect that overtones would be phase canceled
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Try it yourself. Take two PVC whistles, and join their bottom ends with a pipe connector. Get one person playing each end. You can play independent notes on the two whistles. It does get a bit tricky when all the holes are closed, because you are each playing what amounts to a long overtone flute with competing air streams, but you can still hear two notes.
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Tunborough wrote:Try it yourself. Take two PVC whistles, and join their bottom ends with a pipe connector. Get one person playing each end. You can play independent notes on the two whistles. It does get a bit tricky when all the holes are closed, because you are each playing what amounts to a long overtone flute with competing air streams, but you can still hear two notes.

Ha ha yes "get one person playing each end" is the hard part. Whistle players aren't exactly thick on the ground around here!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Get a U-shaped connector and try playing both whistles yourself.....

Best wishes.

Steve
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:Get a U-shaped connector and try playing both whistles yourself.....
Diabolical, Steve. Brilliant, but diabolical. Rubber tubing, perhaps?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Steve Bliven wrote:Get a U-shaped connector and try playing both whistles yourself.....

Best wishes.

Steve
: :pint:
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I just think it's cool that someone would even think about doing something like this AND to have it sound awesome! I'm going to try "quena"-ing on the foot end of my Boehm flute!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV