Slurring notes vs Playing Legato

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Slurring notes vs Playing Legato

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Ah, post the thing. Maybe we'll get the gist. :)
Trust me, you won't. I know the tune well, and even so I could barely make out any of it; it's an audio-mush with odd flutey bits just slightly surfacing here and there, and certainly not enough to piece a tune together by. They could've called it The Dog's Bollocks and I'd have bought it.

All the same, here 'tis (first tune of the set):

https://youtu.be/RoVyQg9EQso
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I know the tune well, and even so I could barely make out any of it; it's an audio-mush with odd flutey bits just slightly surfacing here and there, and certainly not enough to piece a tune together by. They could've called it The Dog's Bollocks and I'd have bought it.
Er ... yes ... it's a challenge ...

:-? :(
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"The thing is, I know I've asked you this before, so if you can answer, I'll save the thing this time! Do you have a link to the reel Rutherglen Road? Or dots, or something? Youtube?" benhall

Here are the dots to Rutherglen Road and Rakes of Glasgow. Good tunes the both:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118 ... 6/MM06.pdf

From a Nigel Gatherer workshop 2015
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Steampacket wrote:"The thing is, I know I've asked you this before, so if you can answer, I'll save the thing this time! Do you have a link to the reel Rutherglen Road? Or dots, or something? Youtube?" benhall

Here are the dots to Rutherglen Road and Rakes of Glasgow. Good tunes the both:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118 ... 6/MM06.pdf

From a Nigel Gatherer workshop 2015
Good man! Yay! :party: :)

That is the one, right, Nano?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Aye it's the right tune, in D. The other one is called Kevin O'Neill of Rutherglen and is a-minor as yer man N mentioned.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Steampacket wrote:Aye it's the right tune, in D. The other one is called Kevin O'Neill of Rutherglen and is a-minor as yer man N mentioned.
Right. That's my practice for the evening settled then! :)

Thanks again! :thumbsup:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:That is the one, right, Nano?
Absolutely, and thanks to our trusty hero Steampacket. :thumbsup:

In my search I happened to find myself on Nigel Gatherer's site, too. It looked promising, but I couldn't find the tune. Wonder what I did wrong...

So anyway, imagine clipping that first F#, the initial downbeat of the A section. It may not be for everyone, but all the same it's a tasty thing. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Wonder what I did wrong.
In general, or just in this particular instance?

:twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:

Well, it looks like you're the one to ask. But instead of a philosophical morass, I was hoping we could finally now resume the discussion on legato playing.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

Well, it looks like you're the one to ask. But instead of a philosophical morass, I was hoping we could finally now resume the discussion on legato playing.
Spoilsport. :P
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well. I guess that put a damper on things.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I think, for me, the most interesting point in all of this is the one summed up in the following two comments:
NicoMoreno wrote:Interestingly, Harry is pretty careful to say that he doesn't do glottal "stops".
bradhurley wrote:Not everyone views a stop as an actual stop, as we've seen in Harry's case, but I think it's fair to say that breath articulation plays as important a role as finger articulation for many flute players.
I had forgotten that Harry preaches this 'pulsing' effect. I had a few lessons from Harry a few years back, and they really helped my playing. His idea - if I have it right - was that you needed the glottal for articulation, but that it was important not to stop the flow of the sound. The stunningly good rhythmic playing that he achieves shows that it really works.

I never achieved the same sort of thing myself (a continuous flow of sound with rhythmic pulsing), but trying to do so dramatically improved the rhythmic sense and drive in my flute playing.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

It sounds as if my take on the matter might be close. For me, pulsing is done with the throat relaxed and open; only the diaphragm is involved. For some it may feel like the chest. You might combine stops and pulsing, but neither is fundamentally essential to the other. Again, though, these are my own thoughts.

Gently whisper "huh" without ever closing the throat at all. To me, that's the essence of pulsing; it's an unrestricted little air-push from down in the gut, and nothing else. Although I mention diaphragm, chest and gut, this doesn't mean it requires a special effort. It should be dead easy. But it should also be applied with some delicacy of control, because unbridled pulse-blasting will only make your playing sound brutish and repellent.

With pulsing - as I think of it - you should be able to play completely legato and give emphasis by means of the diaphragm alone. Pulses are simple things - just nodes of pressure along the continuum of a breath.

My 2 cents' worth, anyway...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm with Nano.
Moreover, notwithstanding the clear traditionality of throat stop attacks, personally I still don't like them and very rarely use them voluntarily (there may be occasional involuntary ones, even including audible grunts......).
However, I do deliberately use very light and quite low down laryngeal closure of the throat to cut off the air stream to end notes, especially phrase end or final ones, though I do sometimes use a tongue stop in those places too - with no particular thought out rhyme or reason to it - no conscious choice, just doing what comes naturally. I daresay that that sometimes means the release of such a throat closure serves as the attack on the following note, if there is one.

There’s some fairly energetic pulsing going on in this video of mine, and a little bit of tonguing, but no deliberate throat stops at all: https://youtu.be/dZan0UM4XLI
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
david_h

Post by david_h »

There seems to a reluctance to call a glottal stop a glottal stop. Not just in this discussion, but almost every time it is discussed.

Jem, I think I know what you mean, but why say " ... throat stop attacks, personally I still don't like them ... " and then "quite low down laryngeal closure of the throat to cut off the air stream"?

The glottal stop is well defined in linguistics. Is there doubt that that is what flute players are doing when they use the term?