Recommended inexpensive flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chicagopsych
antispam: No

Recommended inexpensive flutes

Post by chicagopsych »

I know this topic has been mentioned several times, but I just want to make sure that I have reviewed what is out there. When people request advice for an inexpensive (i.e. "just wanting to to try it out") flute the common responses are: Hamilton Practice flute, Garry Somer's Aluminum flute, and, Doug Tipple's PVC flute, all of which can be had for $150 or less. Less recommended are the polymer Dixons. Every other recommendation is more than double those at $400 or higher. So am I missing any maker or model when it comes to recommended flutes under $200 or even under $300? Is it just those three?

Thanks!
Sirchronique
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Recommended inexpensive flutes

Post by Sirchronique »

Better off saving up for longer and getting one of the $400-$800 flutes as a starter. That being said, Patrick Olwell makes bamboo flutes that can sometimes be had for less that 400, and they are really quite nice.
chicagopsych

Post by chicagopsych »

Thanks for the reply. I should add that affordability is not really an issue. In theory I could afford most. However, I will be getting the flute just to have have fun on. It will never likely be a primary instrument that I play, but I like playing instruments for stress management and want to try the flute, as those that require breath control are especially relaxing. From what I have read and heard (sound samples), I feel confident that the three I have mentioned will suit my needs, but I wanted to make sure that I have not missed any worth considering in that price range. Thanks again
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

There's the polymer or wood M&E flute too.
And give Angus Fifes a go too. Davy offers lots of conical flutes as well as Fifes in some beautiful woods and also aluminium cylindrical flutes. Worth investigating.

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The Sweet Shannon comes in at 275 last I checked.
The antique market being what it is now if you have patience and don't mind a fixer upper
you can find exceptional flutes for nothing.
I bought a fine French flute for 30 pounds , an excellent Huller flute for 100 pounds, and an English large holes Metzler type for 100 pounds all in the last year.
chicagopsych

Post by chicagopsych »

Thanks for the Shannon reminder. That flute seems to occupy a space by its self regarding price and quality. I have seen the Angus flutes. Great prices and looks, but I have not read anyone's views on his flutes, just the fifes. I have read a lot about the M&E flutes. I know they are more expensive, but not by much. However, their website does not work, so I have never been able to investigate or inquire about them.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've played the Shannon and consider it impressively good.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

I recommend Gary Somers Rudall model. I have owned flutes costing 3-5X as much in wood and for me the Somers stands up to the comparison. Your mileage may vary.
I'm on it...
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

If you want sub $300...the Shannon is impossible to beat in my experience. Just a good, basic flute.

Eric