Has Harry Bradley's "The Errant Elbow" site gone away?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Paul Patrick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Has Harry Bradley's "The Errant Elbow" site gone away?

Post by Paul Patrick »

Hi all,

Harry's blog no longer appears for me at its usual address - http://errantelbows.podbean.com/ (podbean just returns a 404 error). Does anyone know if this is temporary, or is the material just moving, or is it likely gone for good? It would be a shame, if so - it's a great resource.

Sorry if this has been discussed already - a search here and at the Session didn't turn up anything.

Thanks!
Paul
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Has Harry Bradley's "The Errant Elbow" site gone away?

Post by colomon »

That would be a shame, I've really enjoyed listening to and studying his takes on the McKenna tunes.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

It's back up again!
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Good man , Harry.
Some good news for 2017
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Last update still Sept 2015, alas. :(
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

Hey, that's great! Thanks for the heads-up, myles. I had stopped checking. I'd love to see Harry put new material up, but in the meantime it's still nice to be able to access what he does have - completely unaccompanied stuff from a great player like this is both fun to listen to and really helpful to learn from.

As a side note, I was curious to see this post moved to the flute board, having originally posted it on the Uilleann side. It made me wonder what percentage of Harry's posts needed to be piping rather than flute-playing to qualify the discussion for the piping forum (it's not a problem for me one way or the other, just thought it was funny!).

Cheers,
Paul
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

It was a strictly pipe-based thing until the last year or so of posts.

I find that Harry's way with piping ornamentation is a great inspiration for my own stumbling efforts. So I'm very glad to see it back up even if there have been no updates for a while.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I am very happy to see it back up as well, it is a great resource for the subtleties of traditional playing and phrasing demonstrated by a native and fluent musician. It is not just another source for tunes, but much more.

I hope that it remains, in some form, for years.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Paul Patrick wrote:As a side note, I was curious to see this post moved to the flute board, having originally posted it on the Uilleann side. It made me wonder what percentage of Harry's posts needed to be piping rather than flute-playing to qualify the discussion for the piping forum (it's not a problem for me one way or the other, just thought it was funny!).

Cheers,
Paul
My bad, if bad there be. I assumed that since he's famous as a fluter, Harry's site would be of equal interest in the Flute Forum. Eyeing the result, I could have done this differently, methinks.

Oh, and Happy New Year, everyone.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

There are many entries that would great for flute players or pipers alike and I think the information belongs on both forums.

His examples for use of the breath while playing the flute are invaluable in my opinion and have been a great help to me.
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

No harm, Nano. As kmag points out, the information is relevant to both forums, and moving it has made it visible to both, so it's probably for the best. I just had a laugh envisioning a secret tribunal meeting in the dark of night, fiercely debating the proper forum placement for an ambiguous post.
Cheers,
Paul
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

This is slightly tricky, in that the site itself refers to both pipes and flute. The site's title, however, would imply that it is thinking of pipes. Harry is my favourite flute player. But he's also a great piper. The site's front page seems to be devoted almost equally to both pipes and flute.

Anyway, I hope the pipers follow the thread over to here - if they're not too concerned about being seen in the wussier company of fluters! (Joke! Honest, joke! :) )