Interesting article on pending Ivory sale legislation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Interesting article on pending Ivory sale legislation

Post by Loren »

Interesting developments in some states here, including my own, that would make the sale of even antique ivory illegal. Based on what I've read this would mean that in certain states it would be technically illegal to buy or sell any flute with real Ivory rings, bushings, etc., regardless of age. 3 States apparently already have such legislation, although I don't know the details for each state.

The following article is long, however I thought some of you might be interested.

http://www.bidamount.com/the-massachuse ... ctober-21/
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Interesting article on pending Ivory sale legislation

Post by ancientfifer »

Loren, interesting and relevant article as I have an antique with ivory. Thanks for sharing!
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Glad the article was of use to you :thumbsup:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Hopefully folks in Massachusetts (or who might consider traveling to Massachusetts with instruments that could include ivory bits) will contact members of the legislature regarding how such a bill might affect them or the well-being of the state.

I suspect most folks are in favor of reducing the killing of elephants or whales for their tusks or teeth, but consider all the antiques—scrimshaw; vintage pianos; billiard sets; parts of flutes, guitars, bagpipes; artworks and artifacts; etc. that would be affected.

Them's my thoughts.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

You can't ask the Chinese to stop trading in ivory if you're unwilling to do it yourself. So while this law might not have much impact on the killing of elephants, I think it's a necessary first step. The same argument can be used against reducing fossil fuel usage - "oh but the Chinese are much worse, what I do won't have any impact compared to them". It doesn't matter who is worse, what matters is that we all make an effort.

If someone bought ivory flutes with the aim of enjoying them, this shouldn't bother them. But if they bought ivory products with the aim of selling them on later for profit, then I think they're not in a position to criticize the Chinese dealers.
Conor O'Kane
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The importation and sale of new and/or undocumented Ivory has been banned in the U.S. Since 1990. Are you saying all antique Ivory should be banned? Flutes? Pianos? Billiard balls? Art Objects of every sort from any time period?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mammoth ivory in my guitar. Nobody's killing them anymore, unless the scientists are really going to clone them. I suppose I could always change the nut & saddle. Are they going to take away our abalone and mother-of-pearl, too, 'cause some fret markers will need some filling?
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Loren wrote:The importation and sale of new and/or undocumented Ivory has been banned in the U.S. Since 1990. Are you saying all antique Ivory should be banned? Flutes? Pianos? Billiard balls? Art Objects of every sort from any time period?
Yes I believe so. Since it's simple to fake 'documentation' for old ivory there's really no way to easily tell if an item is old or not. Even something as obviously 'old' as an antique piano or scrimshaw should incur a large fine for either buying or selling.

If we need to inconvenience a few people to save one of the only remaining large animals on earth, is that really so bad? We've already wiped out all of the other megafauna, only the Elephant, Giraffe and Rhino are left, and it looks like the Rhino won't last much longer either. You can't rely on people to do the right thing, you have to decide what the right thing is and then legislate for it, otherwise selfish people will not do the right thing.
Conor O'Kane