Serial numbers of deceased Rudall simple system flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Serial numbers of deceased Rudall simple system flutes?

Post by Steampacket »

Does anyone know of any serial numbers of Rudall simple system flutes that have ceased to exist for some reason or other? I'm thinking of flutes that have been broken beyond repair, crushed, burnt in a house fire, destoyed under the blitz, stolen, lost, gone to a watery grave, put in the trash by mistake or deliberately, etc. I'd like to include any such serial numbers in the register. We'd know which flutes can be written off. I wonder how many Rudall flutes consigned to the attics or cellars of houses were destroyed in London or Liverpool under the blitz years?

Around 7,200 simple system flutes are thought to have been produced by Rudall & Rose, Rudall, Rose & Carte, Rudall Carte & Co. I believe David has catalogued over 600 flutes, I have registered 273 flutes. This means that there are maybe over 6,000 flutes unaccounted for. There are collectors such as Flatley and Maloney who do not wish to divulge the number of flutes, or the serial numbers of flutes in their possesion. Fair enough. I doubt that they have more than 1,000 flutes between them, which would still leave 5,000 flutes out in the wild
kenny

Re: Serial numbers of deceased Rudall simple system flutes?

Post by kenny »

"1000 flutes between them" !!!!!! - you couldn't perhaps give us their addresses, and when they're next on holiday ? :)
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I heard that #6776 (Rudall Carte) which was owned by Nick Voreas was stolen years ago. I wonder if he ever got it back.

Casey
an seanduine
antispam: No

Post by an seanduine »

Will this be like aerial combat, with independent verification to establish a confirmed 'kill'?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

I had 0001 but left it in the back of a taxi...

H

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets/holmes-flute
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Oh, that one.... The cabbie said I could keep it since he thought the case looked pretty beat up.

Best wishes,

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I heard that #6776 (Rudall Carte) which was owned by Nick Voreas was stolen years ago. I wonder if he ever got it back."

Thanks Casey. I don't have that one in the register. The nearest is Larry Mallette's 6772. I see 6776 was stolen during the 1990's in Portland, Oregon? Cold case now , I wonder what happened to it. Would this be the flute in it's box in this LP cover photo?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PETER-YEATES-NIC ... 4d0401c000

"Will this be like aerial combat, with independent verification to establish a confirmed 'kill'?" Bob

:lol: Yes, if possible, or some other kind of forensic evidence. No, I think we'll just have to trust people won't we.

"1000 flutes between them" !!!!!! - you couldn't perhaps give us their addresses, and when they're next on holiday ? :)" Holmes

:) A very rough estimate - maybe Paddy & Michael have a couple of hundred flutes between them, who knows? but there are other collectors, and owners with 2-3 flutes, so again who knows? I suppose many of the 7200 flutes thought to have been produced between the 1820's and early 1900's have perished. As a Rudall nerd it's nice to think there are 4-5000 Rudalls lying around in attics and wardrobes waiting to be discovered, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

This is little help register-wise, but I have one recently acquired "orphan" R&R head - no serial #, of course. I have seen at least two others, one a PH, go through on eBay in the last 9 years. I think that the sales records I was keeping until a couple of years ago include at least one instance of serial marked body parts of one or more incomplete flutes. Will have a dig after the weekend. I suppose the heads at least add to the body count..... though one should bear in mind that a good few of the early Böhm conical flutes the firm made had simple system type tuning barrel heads, including some PHs, and we also know of several flutes which came originally equipped with two alternative heads, so head count does not directly relate to putative body count.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I once had a RR flute in the workshop which had a replacement, unmarked upper middle joint. The rest was original. No serial number of course...style-wise I'd put it in the 3xxx..4xxx area. Claw keys, small-ish holes, hubcap keys, rather long, square striker plates, silver metalwork, a lot in common with other flutes from that era. The keys of the replacement part looked original, so maybe someone screwed the upper joint beyond repair, but was able to rescue the keys. Nice flute, worked very well. Workmanship of the upper middle joint was very good, and looked old. Wasn't able to measure the upper bore since the owner needed it back quickly, so couldn't compare it to originals. Wonder who did the repair, and when.
Last edited by Gabriel on Tue May 26, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've had a chance to look at my eBay records now.

An orphan Patent Head was bought by Dave Ogden in October 2007 from a vendor in Glasgow.

In December 2007 Patrick Olwell bought two partial flutes being sold "from a large collection" from an Edinburgh-based vendor - the upper body only of #5657 (R&R 38 Southampton St.) and the upper and lower body joints only, missing blocks and keys on the lower, of #3541 (R&R 15 Piazza).

In November 2009 Ron Irving from Guernsey sold an orphan PH with an unusual domed crown with rose engine scale patterning all over, no royal crest, and a cut-away in the wood on the player's side of the embouchure.

In February 2010 a George Rudall Willis fecit lacking its head/barrel was sold by a vendor in Wolverhampton. It had octagonal flat key flaps - squares with the corners nipped off - rather more so than those on the three Willis fecit Rudall flutes in Robert Bigio's book.

In October 2010 the Olwells sold the head/barrel and upper body, in certificated original case, of #5605 (R&R 38 Southampton St.) The lower body and foot were missing.

In July 2011 Paul McGlinchey (Omagh) sold a plain, standard R&R head/barrel.

That's all I've got on partial flutes.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

An orphan standard Head piece was sold just recently on the bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Flute- ... 7675.l2557
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yup. That's the one I have. Plus the High Pitch Eb cylindrical Böhm body to which it absolutely does not belong! Even cracked as it is, it's a good player. :D

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

In Doolin just now, preparing to drive up to Dublin. It's been an eventuell week in Miltown I must say as it looks like thanks to a local musician, a possible mother lode of Rudall serial numbers has been detected. It will take time to exhume the documentation/lists, but they exist and contact has been established with the owner/inheritor who has agreed to give me access. :thumbsup:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cool. :-)

You already know, Thomas, but perhaps I should just make it known here that my "orphan" R&R head mentioned above has, somewhat fortuitously, been reunited with its body and #5203 is once more complete and fully accounted for. :-D

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
cliffcollins
Tell us something.: I have a Rudall Rose Carte flute I want to register. I have seen a website with a register of flutes but can't find contact details.

Post by cliffcollins »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hi, are you still interested in Rudall Rose and Carte flute serial numbers? I have found one in my fathers house and not quite sure what to do with it. Thanks in advance.