Chris Wilkes Flute on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Loren wrote:Crap, I was (seriously) just going to post an ad to see if anyone was interested in trading an Olwell Bamboo F for my Tipple F.
Cathy Wilde wrote:Holy Moses! That means my Olwell bamboo F might be worth more than the car it's presently sitting in? :boggle: ;-)
If you like, I'll be happy (for a small fee) to provide escrow services if you two would like to commence negotiations :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

GaryKelly wrote:
Loren wrote:Crap, I was (seriously) just going to post an ad to see if anyone was interested in trading an Olwell Bamboo F for my Tipple F.
Cathy Wilde wrote:Holy Moses! That means my Olwell bamboo F might be worth more than the car it's presently sitting in? :boggle: ;-)
If you like, I'll be happy (for a small fee) to provide escrow services if you two would like to commence negotiations :)

I appreciate the offer, but what I really need is for you to act as a bank, and provide a no interest small business loan, so I can get on with making my own flutes :lol:

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ahem. I believe I saw a mention of an Olwell in one of your previous posts?

I believe you've got a wee bit of collateral right there, mon frere. Tell you what. I'll trade you the F bamboo for ..... :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I made the mistake of giving up my first wood Olwell a few years back, and I'm not even allergic to the one I have now, so until I've made myself a suitable replacement, I'm not giving the Doggy O. up. Probably not even then, for sentimental reasons.

I have however been seriously considering, over the last few days, putting my 4 key Boxwood Murray up on ebay, in an effort to raise a portion of the much needed funds I need to get my own thing rolling. Of course you'd have to throw an awful lot of cash in with that Bamboo F to swing the deal :lol:

Loren
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Loren wrote:I have however been seriously considering, over the last few days, putting my 4 key Boxwood Murray up on ebay, in an effort to raise a portion of the much needed funds I need to get my own thing rolling. Of course you'd have to throw an awful lot of cash in with that Bamboo F to swing the deal :lol:

Loren
Even so, it'd be a good deal. Loren, I'd like to see a picture of that thing.
I'd like to see a picture of that thing.
P.S. I HAVE to see a picture of that thing.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'll try to take a photo and get it up. However It is not the prettiest flute you've ever seen. Somewhere along the line (before it became mine) it was exposed too far too much humidity for an extended period of time, which caused "bluestreak" staining, which you can't get rid of. The only option I know of, cosmetically, would be to dye the entire flute black, which I could do, if I were set-up, but then, if I were set-up, I wouldn't be considering selling it :lol:

Loren
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Don't.

Is it Eb?

I'm completely in love with my D Murray. Despite the fact is keyless :lol: I'm improving my tone since I play as much as I can (not a lot but everyday at least.)

However she seems to be sad, maybe needs a little sister...
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nope, it's a D flute. I agree with you, they are fantastic flutes, I prefer it, in many ways, to the Olwell: Fits my hands better, just a loud (or is it me?) and better balanced, due to the lack of headjoint liner. I still haven't made the final decision on whether to sell it or not, however, at the moment, it looks like it may be the only way.

Most of the staining is on the parts of the flute you can't see from this angle.

Loren
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Hmmm... That's purty. Don't let Cat see it, she'll drool all over it. :lol:
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dow wrote:Hmmm... That's purty. Don't let Cat see it, she'll drool all over it. :lol:

Nah, she's got her hands full.

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, guys, but yes indeedy, I'm happy with my four- (soon-to-be six-!) key butterscotch baby for now. Even if I do manage to summit the Olwell list before I die, I'll suspect I'll keep little Hesperus.

Loren, maybe I should send you that audio of Louise playing it. :twisted:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Thanks, guys, but yes indeedy, I'm happy with my four- (soon-to-be six-!) key butterscotch baby for now. Even if I do manage to summit the Olwell list before I die, I'll suspect I'll keep little Hesperus.

Oh yes, I'd love to hear that, make my decision to sell just a wee bit tougher, will ya? :lol: OTH, how old is Louise? Might very well make me simply quit the flute completly, then I can sell all three of my flutes and get the pain and torture (of practicing and hearing myself play) out of the way for good.

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Loren wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:Thanks, guys, but yes indeedy, I'm happy with my four- (soon-to-be six-!) key butterscotch baby for now. Even if I do manage to summit the Olwell list before I die, I'll suspect I'll keep little Hesperus.

Oh yes, I'd love to hear that, make my decision to sell just a wee bit tougher, will ya? :lol: OTH, how old is Louise? Might very well make me simply quit the flute completly, then I can sell all three of my flutes and get the pain and torture (of practicing and hearing myself play) out of the way for good.

Loren
I believe she's 24 now? But look at it this way, she's been playing for probably 23 years! :lol: And let's not do the math on the timespan between her taking up the pipes and winning the All-Ireland. She really is brilliant; it's mind-boggling. And an absolute sweetheart, too. We wanted to adopt the whole family and bring them home, even Mrs. M. (though we didn't get to meet her, but we figure she has to be incredibly cool to be the mom of such amazing daughters and married to such a lovely man as Mick).

I'm transferring stuff over from tape; that's part's done so will try to bring it in in the next few days. You'll probably want to keep your Murray, though - yeah, it's depressing, but inspiring, too. :-)
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Loren wrote:Nope, it's a D flute.

Loren
:swear:

I have a four-Keyed Arhpa Pratten, but your key arrangement is perfect for me, far better than mine with only the short F and G#, plus B and D that I hardly use.

Thanks for the picture. I'll try to post some shots of mine.

It's a beautiful flute no matter the stains. Keep it.I woudn't have said this if it had been an Eb
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

If I was an angel on Sam's shoulder, the only thing I'd wish he'd change (at least on on mine) is the G-sharp key touch. It's tiny and in a bit of an odd spot. But the only alternative I can see for it (outside amputating the first joint of my left pinky - I'm committed, but maybe not quite that much! :lol:) is a differently shaped touch, which wouldn't quite go with the style.

NB: When I got mine it was missing the long F and D-sharp keys, so I guess I'll know more about those when the new keys are put on, which is presently in the works. More about that then ....