Why are flutes so expensive? Who Cares.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Terry McGee wrote:Somebody once said "it's more a lifestyle than a living", and I suspect this applies to most of us. We certainly get by, but I imagine most of us earn considerably less per annum than the average of our customers.
But it's so freakin' cool to be an instrument maker! You get the prestige -- and the knowledge that you are creating beautiful works that are also tools for others to create beautiful works. Nothing cooler, in my opinion.
~JessieD
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jessie - I couldn't agree with you more. I suspect that working in a field where you create is psychologically much more healthy than working in a field where you shuffle paper (which is what I do). And to create instruments as you state, well, that's even cooler.

James - I'm with you on the money issue. I'd be willing to bet if you polled people on whether or not flutes are expensive you'd really be inquiring into either their childhood or their current economic status (if you can't afford one, any flute is too expensive). My father grew up in the poorest part of Oklahoma City, and most of his childhood friends died before 20 or ended up in jail. Anything costing $100 or more is still expensive to me, and anything in the $1000s better have a motor or a roof. Then add a spouse whose dad grew up in the depression and still washes tin foil to reuse it, and you have a recipe for cautious spending. Still, I agree that the vast majority of flutes are not overpriced at all (unless you count in the falling value of the dollar, then any flute not made in Mexico is overpriced at this time :D ).

Eric
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Yep. Both my parents were raised in the depression, and both were raised on small farms.

My folks used to buy liquid soap and then cut it with water 50/50 so it would last twice as long. The house I grew up in is packed with various kinds of junk because folks raised in their generation consider it a sin to throw something away that you might need again someday.

When you've grown up eating commodity cheese you get a different view of what "expensive" is. Sometimes I look at my flutes and my computer and my books and it just doesn't even feel real to me. Not to mention the idea that I am married! In spite of my health problems, I sometimes feel like I'm living in a wonderful dream.

I just hope I never have to wake up!

--James
Jayhawk wrote: James - I'm with you on the money issue. I'd be willing to bet if you polled people on whether or not flutes are expensive you'd really be inquiring into either their childhood or their current economic status (if you can't afford one, any flute is too expensive). My father grew up in the poorest part of Oklahoma City, and most of his childhood friends died before 20 or ended up in jail. Anything costing $100 or more is still expensive to me, and anything in the $1000s better have a motor or a roof. Then add a spouse whose dad grew up in the depression and still washes tin foil to reuse it, and you have a recipe for cautious spending. Still, I agree that the vast majority of flutes are not overpriced at all (unless you count in the falling value of the dollar, then any flute not made in Mexico is overpriced at this time :D ).

Eric
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Jayhawk wrote:Then add a spouse whose dad grew up in the depression and still washes tin foil to reuse it, and you have a recipe for cautious spending.

Eric
Hey I learned to do that, and I still do! I can't believe folks throw tin-foil away after only one use!!!

As far as folks being charged their own hourly rate for the price of a flute ~

:o :o :o :o :o

I feel lucky with my employment because I get to touch so many people's lives, it is very gratifying to me. Still, at times I wish I had persued fine art right out of high school ~ unfortunately, I had a real doozy of a high-school art teacher for 4 years, as well as parents who were not particularly encouraging, so I wasn't necessarily inspired to continue with my art...I was, however, encouraged to get married and have children (which I rebelliously did not do right away ~ ha) and save tin-foil, But I haven't picked up a brush or a pen in forever....
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Luc Verhoeven (who is quite a nice fellwo by the way) also has a page on his website on how he whittles his tooters.

http://users.skynet.be/fluiten/how.html

Doc
glauber

Post by glauber »

Here's Clive's "working methods" page (another very nice guy):

http://www.flutes.fsbusiness.co.uk/methods.html
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Here's my 2 cents: Earlier the comparison was made to bows and violins. While it's not *recommended* it is common knowledge that a good bow can easily cost as much or more than one's instrument. My primary bow cost about $300 more than my fiddle.

Also, A new master-made Pernambuco bow costs anywhere from $1800 to $4500 or so. So, Irish flutes aren't all that expensive if you consider the alternative. You get what you pay for.
Corin
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

JessieK wrote:
Terry McGee wrote:Somebody once said "it's more a lifestyle than a living", and I suspect this applies to most of us. We certainly get by, but I imagine most of us earn considerably less per annum than the average of our customers.
But it's so freakin' cool to be an instrument maker! You get the prestige -- and the knowledge that you are creating beautiful works that are also tools for others to create beautiful works. Nothing cooler, in my opinion.
Furthermore you get the adulation of gorgeous babes!