Ignorance of the flute playing tradition?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

djm wrote:Liam O'Flynn notes Molloy as being one of the few flute players who can find the piping in the music, so you know Molloy must be doing it right. :wink:

djm
In fact, though, that's one of the quibbles that some people have with Molloy: through his huge influence he has shifted the modern flute-playing tradition toward a style that is less "flutey" and more like the pipes. In contrast, Harry Bradley is probably helping, through his own influence, to shift things back a bit -- to my ear he's one of the "flutey-est" players around today, there's very little piping influence in his playing despite the fact that he's quite an accomplished piper himself.

I'm still a Molloy fan and always will be, and when I listen to some of his recordings now I can hear a lot more flutey bits than I remember; his style is complex and is not always as smooth, flowing, and overly ornamented as one might think. But there are a lot of other fish in the flute sea, and Matt himself would urge people to go back and listen to the same people who influenced him.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

For me, its not so much that I dislike Molloy's flute playing per se. Rather I dislike the pervasive influence his music has on an entire generation of flute players. After you've heard a bezillion people trying to sound like him it on varying levels it really gets old.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Eldarion wrote:For me, its not so much that I dislike Molloy's flute playing per se. Rather I dislike the pervasive influence his music has on an entire generation of flute players. After you've heard a bezillion people trying to sound like him it on varying levels it really gets old.
That makes sense, I suppose, but if so it's not his fault, and I don't see how it reflects badly upon him.

--James
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't think anybody's "picking on" Matt Molloy, nor do I think he needs anybody to defend him. I haven't heard anybody say they don't have an awful lot of respect for him. I think he has been brought up specifically because he's so widely recognized and respected. However, that doesn't mean that every single fan of the Irish flute has to like his individual style. The whole thread is about different people liking different styles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'll admit right now I skipped about 3 pages in the middle of the thread, but just in case no one's said it yet, two words:

Patsy. Hanley.

I love that man. If only he'd been recorded more ... but I'm still on the hunt.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
djm

Post by djm »

I guess my own limitations on flute prevent me from having as full an appreciation of other ITM flute styles, but when I grow up, I want to be able to play like Matt Molloy. :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yeah, I wouldn't cry if some beneficent flute god suddenly blessed me with Molloy's skills.

Then again, I wouldn't cry if some beneficent flute god suddenly blessed me with skills, period.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Eldarion wrote:For me, its not so much that I dislike Molloy's flute playing per se. Rather I dislike the pervasive influence his music has on an entire generation of flute players. After you've heard a bezillion people trying to sound like him it on varying levels it really gets old.
Good point, Eld. It's like the saying (somebody here has it in their signature) about not taking the master's path but seeking what the master sought. The folks just taking the path are the one's that aren't too interesting to listen to.

On the whole, ignorance is a better place to start from than misconception.

Cat, I'm with you on Patsy Hanley. I really enjoy his style. He contributed to the Flute Players of Roscommon CD. Other than that and the recordings Rich Lafferty has on his website, I don't know of any other sources.

Cheers,
Aaron
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh yes, Aaron, for me Patsy's got it all covered -- great style, great way with a tune, great lift and life ... anyway, if I could grow up like him .... <sigh>

Meanwhile, here are the two other "commercial" recordings I know of that Patsy appears on, albeit for only, like, 2 tunes each, but hey, it's something!

P.S. God bless Rich Lafferty. :-)

The 2nd Jimmy McHugh Memorial Concert (Glasgow, 2001)
http://www.copperplatedistribution.com/gf001.html

Lamh ar Lamh (Many Hands) -- http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/lamh.htm
-- you can get the CD thru Claddagh Records, www.claddaghrecords.com
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Cathy Wilde wrote: Meanwhile, here are the two other "commercial" recordings I know of that Patsy appears on, albeit for only, like, 2 tunes each, but hey, it's something!

P.S. God bless Rich Lafferty. :-)
The MP3s of Patsy Hanley on Rich's site were from a tape put together by Bill Dennehy in San Francisco for Suki O'Raghallaigh, a flute player there...these were the "Flute Styles for Suki" tracks. So you should add those two to your blessings, plus bil mckenty who converted the tape to MP3s! bil also converted the other "geezer" tape to MP3s, the one that has Eddie Maloney, John Carlos, and assorted others...that one came from a mutual friend of bil's and mine in England.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was given the tape some years ago by Jim Carroll and he said it wasa collection put together by Seamus Macmathuna for a lecture. Jim had this on reel to reel tapes and had had them for a longtime, directly from Seamus as it is. The voice naming the players between tunes is suppsoed to be Seamus. Most of it does sound like material lifted from Seamus' recordings in the Comhaltas archive.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Just to clarify, the MP3s on that site are from two different tapes, or at least they were at one time...it may be now that the only ones up there are the McMathuna recordings. The "flute styles for Suki" recordings are mostly live concert performances broadcast on RTE radio, and the players are announced variously by Peter Browne and Mairead Ni Mhaoinaigh, plus there are some session tracks of Paddy Carty (accompanied by a very loud bodhran player) and a few tracks from a concert by Kevin Crawford in his younger days. There's a great interview on there that Peter Browne did with the late James Murray of Sligo; Peter told me that he doesn't even have a copy of that interview himself!

Rich may have taken those "flute style for suki" MP3s off his site due to bandwidth concerns...I do remember someone asking about them a while back and saying they were no longer available?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Well, we'll keep it simple ... God bless them all! :D

Seriously, I am grateful, because these things are gems as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I think they were the very first thing I loaded into the ol' iTunes v. 1 library lo those many years ago, and I've hung onto them thru four computers and three-point-whatever more versions of iTunes.

Unfortunately, it's been so long I can't even remember what the site was called -- but when I downloaded those files years ago I thought they were just called "geezers 1, 2, 3, etc." at that point -- so I don't know if the source was the tapes for Suki or not. The mp3s I have are Ed Maloney, Patsy Hanley, Packie Duignan, Josie McD, Jack Dolan, and a couple of unidentified players (one of whom I affectionately refer to as "The Lady On The Island" guy).

But hey, if there are any others .... <greedily rubbing hands together> ... point me at 'em! :lol:
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
The mp3s I have are Ed Maloney, Patsy Hanley, Packie Duignan, Josie McD, Jack Dolan, and a couple of unidentified players (one of whom I affectionately refer to as "The Lady On The Island" guy).
:
Those are all from the McMathuna tape. There's also some great Patsy Hanley bits on the Flute Styles from Suki tape, which I think may be different from the files you have; these are from a performance (at the Willie Clancy Summer School, I think) some years back. He plays The Cow That Ate the Blanket, The Boys of the Lough/The Devils of Dublin, The Broken Lantern, Lucky in Love/The Bloom of Youth, and Jenny Dang the Weaver/The Blackberry Blossom. Brilliant stuff.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, tragedy! :cry:
.... And lucky Suki!

Ah well, everything is not yet lost. And thanks so much for the info! Brilliant, indeed.