McCarty Low D Flute Review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: McCarty Low D Flute Review

Post by Jayhawk »

Hey Rob - you better not be talking to me... 8)

I've made absolutely no claims at all in this thread.

Eric (the original)
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

Rob Sharer wrote:This thread is so full of holes it's a wonder we can't all see the light of day.

First a general observation: when I see so much verbiage being heaped on a thread by the OP, especially right out of the gate, I begin to question what's being said. A simple premise like, "this flute is/isn't made in Pakistan" shouldn't require pages of special pleading, seemingly intended to head off debate.
:)
Now, here's a simple and specific question to the OP: what makes you think that wood is Black Walnut? Your (and "Eric's") repeated assertions aside, what evidence is there whatsoever that your flute is made from American Black Walnut, juglans nigra, and not Persian Walnut, juglans regia?
Perhaps you could look at the images in page 1, and read what I've written about the black walnut. What kind of wood does it look like to you? You ask for its specific species name, whereas I've already stated I can't tell anymore than it looks like black walnut....purply dark walnut with a similar specific gravity and grain. American Black Walnut ...or English/Persian Walnut ... I really don't know. If you are unable to answer it based on the images on page 1 and what I have described - there is no hope I can either :(

The latter species grows all over Asia, including in Pakistan, where this flute was made. That doesn't mean the flute isn't black Walnut, mind, but it seems more likely that a Pakistani flutemaker would use the similar species that grows nearby, rather than importing from the USA.
I'm afraid your comment here is no doing no different than countless others, who 'speculate' that this flute is made in Asia, Pakistan. Only one other person commenting on this forum thread has - and his opinion I deeply respect, and I suspect he is probably correct in his views, whose conclusions may indeed be no different from yours.

We shall see ... without speculation!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

We can say this much: McCarty counts the South Asian supply as his competitor. He names no other. This focus of his can be read in print, right there in smaller type at the top of the Flute Page of his website.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Denny wrote:some people enjoy head banging.

James hasn't agreed with much since he's been here. :D

Lol! How am I supposed to agree with that?! :lol:

This thread is like a bad Star trek movie: Captain's Log started with honest intentions ...and encountered some klingons on the way who pronounce: 'you will be assimilated!' :lol:

(j/k)

Well ...I have a flute in mouth (or near enough)... and it plays (it is not unplayable as previous posters on different threads have claimed). It does not fall apart as soon you take it out of the box (as previous posters have claimed). This one is solidly built: it is very well machined/cut however it is made.

To agree with others claims in previous threads ...would be akin to asking me to falsify information about this flute. It really does not fit those stereotypical categories!

I agree that it looks highly like and very similar to a huge number of cheap flutes with a similar design - which are not black walnut.

Here's one: http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!B2+q)rQBmk~$(KGrHqUOKiEE)TJ1vJQ2BMkmKWQeOQ~~_12.JPG

There are minor stylistic differences, including differences in wood. What is suspicious ... is that .... the box and its clasp ....is identical (the plot thickens ... ho hum).

I'm not rigid and unbending in my views ... I'm just not easily swayed by speculation, or trial by internet. The offer of the gentleman to visit Utah ... would clear up this issue for me, better than jumping the gun and assuming others' assumptions (without having the flute).
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

One other thing could help here with at least some of the issues in contention - not with a definitive identification of the origin of James's flute, mind: to whit, James getting the thing into the hands of an experienced, competent ITM player and or/someone who knows a good bit about wooden flutes for ITM so that they could evaluate its playing qualities independently and at least tell James and the rest of us whether he really is wasting his efforts on trying to play it. Didn't you say you were in GB at present, James? Are you still, and if so, where by?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:
James_Alto wrote: His sales and feedback is 100% on an auction site over hundreds - clearly these flutes are of interest to people who are outside of the Chiff & Fipple forum.
How many of those people do you think buy it on a whim due to the low price, find out they won't ever get anywhere near decent players and blame it on themselves for being untalented.
I had (in case you missed it) an old German flute that looked the part but was a crock. Good flute players didn't sound much better than i did playing it.

Hey - thanks for the vote of confidence - now I don't need to feel insecure :lol:

Actually .... I just play for fun. If it's any confirmation, I was a better player than I am now. The problem now ... is I have no idea how bad a player I am now.

If what you're saying, is that I will never know, due to this flute, maybe I'd be better off with your old German flute :)

Yes I did read it - wanted to ask you what was wrong with it, or, errrr...what I should be looking out for when I get mine lol.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

jim stone wrote:
Mr_Blackwood wrote: Anyway, you can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink.. several members have rubbed it in as it is, i just couldn't resist giving it a try as a fellow rookie.
Cheers.
I think this would be a good time to stop. We've been thumping on James, who certainly understands what we're saying but disagrees. That's his right and hammering him for it looks increasingly like a feeding frenzy.

Also the board rules are clear about negative comments about instruments:

1. Comment only from personal experience. No "people have told me...", "other players have said," etc. It may well be true that a poster here has stood around with a half-dozen very fine musicians and all of them said that Instruments by X are dreadful. And, admittedly, that would be useful for someone to know if they're about to buy an X instrument. But allowing the reporting of 2nd hand feedback is a problem.

From Announcements. 'Negative comments about flutes.'

Only one of us has played this flute. He likes it. He's happy with it. Probably a Pakistani flute but hardly impossible that this one plays well enough and is worth the money. The rest of us, in bashing the particular flute as worthless, are breaking the rule.

It's all well meant but a bit of ganging up on a lone dissenter, the only one here who has played the thing.
James may think about what's been said and change his mind about the flute, but, in fairness, that's his dept now.
Quod the ....! No camels here. Just squirrelus back to frontus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2HTY_1zOY

Thanks - it's always refreshing to hear a reflective point of view instead of knee jerk reactions.

As it is ... I caved in and went to a music store to see if I could get a new microphone. They tell me I need a special adapter.....another week or two on order!
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

jemtheflute wrote:One other thing could help here with at least some of the issues in contention - not with a definitive identification of the origin of James's flute, mind: to whit, James getting the thing into the hands of an experienced, competent ITM player and or/someone who knows a good bit about wooden flutes for ITM so that they could evaluate its playing qualities independently and at least tell James and the rest of us whether he really is wasting his efforts on trying to play it. Didn't you say you were in GB at present, James? Are you still, and if so, where by?

Hey Jem - I'm sailing around the south coast via the Channel Islands ...hopefully spend the summer in London and Kent if there are some good concerts to go to (if not, I will give one on my McCarty flute in Hyde Park provided the anti-terrorist squad don't silence me :lol:
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jezuz H Keerist :really:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I am pretty sure it is the BORG who are assimilating flute players and the like!
Arbo
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

ImNotIrish wrote:I am pretty sure it is the BORG who are assimilating flute players and the like!
Arbo
That sounds like a serious accusation, Arbo, but I must say that I had that feeling on page one. Now let me blast out of here.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I thought this was a very entertaining thread. I loved the way James Alto held our pack of killer-dogs at bay, bravely withstanding every assault on his intelligence and on his trust in fellow man. Carry on, James! Candide has nothing to teach you.

And I love this reference from McCarty's site: In order to distinguish ourselves from our competitors in South Asia we will no longer be creating African Blackwood or Cocus Wood flutes.

And I'll stop playing like Matt Molloy so that people won't be looking for my pub.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Julia Delaney wrote:And I love this reference from McCarty's site: In order to distinguish ourselves from our competitors in South Asia we will no longer be creating African Blackwood or Cocus Wood flutes.
Well, now that's at least two of us on this thread who've made public note of that particular detail. Impartial as I would like to be, as one who's been burned by Pakistani flutes in the past I find that detail rather disturbing, but perhaps it's no more than yer maker is content to not aim for the stars. Perhaps he's trying to offer cheapies that blow Sialkot City out of the water. If that's the case, considering that the cheapies will always be among us it's high time somebody did it, and may Providence grant it be so. If they don't exactly suck (eye of the beholder, of course), that's the least you can ask for.

But, that's just more conjecture to add to the conjecture pot. Curious as I now am, unfortunately I don't have the disposable income for the luxury of an experimental purchase.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

James_Alto wrote:I'm afraid your comment here is no doing no different than countless others, who 'speculate' that this flute is made in Asia, Pakistan. Only one other person commenting on this forum thread has - and his opinion I deeply respect, and I suspect he is probably correct in his views, whose conclusions may indeed be no different from yours.

We shall see ... without speculation!
I will be damned if I'm going to engage in any badminton on this topic.

That said, here's an interesting question:

If you like playing this flute so much, why do you care where it was made? Would it diminish your enjoyment to learn it wasn't made here in the U.S.?

Rob