why do you play the flute you play?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: why do you play the flute you play?

Post by Kirk B »

I have a 6-key Watson that I bought after having played a Pratten style flute for a while. It took me about 6 months to get my embouchure dialed in on the Watson and really get the tone out of it that it's capable of producing. It has a less forgiving embouchure cut than my old flute but now that I'm used to it I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the only Rudall style flute that I've played so I can't give any comparison vs another similar style flute.

Here's a clip of Harry playing a Watson (From Glenn's website)

http://www.watsonflutes.com/tunes/skylark.mp3

Kirk
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

Hi John,
I find the Watson light in the hand, easier to play than a Hammy which requires a bit more practice. Dark sound, unlined head. Not too expensive. Hopes this helps. I think Glenn makes fine flutes.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

JohnB., be certain to play a Watson before buying and pay attention to the scale, particulary the cross fingered C: I find the the Watsons have a better cross fingered C with only the middle finger of the top hand down, rather than the more common middle and ring down. The scale on the Watson is excellent this way, however I find it makes switching between flutes more problematic, at least for me. Good flutes though, the Watsons, both keyed and keyless. Glen might even make one in Delrin for you, if you're a hard traveler. I've got one. It won't be less expensive than his wooden flutes though.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks for the advice folks
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Hmm!, I'll 'fess up a bit - I haven't played as much flute as I should in the past 3-4 years. It's a physical instrument and I've tended to be lazy at times and play more concertina etc. But I keep returning to the flute as you can't beat the power and simplicity of it, it's just so much more direct and personal compared to a more mechanical instrument. Of course, that's not a great recipe for keeping a good tone etc. so of the three flutes I play, the first one out after a lapse is a McGee Rudall refined model, keyless and boxwood, very light - plays easily with a full rich tone and a solid bottom D comes very easy on it. Maybe it's the lightness of the instrument or the small holes - I don't know, but it just plays well out of the box. That may or may not be a good thing, I don't know, but that's the way of it.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

OK, made a too long post yesterday, went to edit it, and poof, lost my re-write! Oh well, not the first time it happened, and may be not the last. So, on to my 2c.

I play the flute I play because, 1) It suits my budget, 2) Easily does all that I ask it to, and 3) has a lovely tone. And it gives me no problems with ergonomics.

It only took me 9 years to arrive here, where I'm very happy with my flute and my progress. This one just clicked for me after I played it for a little while. Now knowing that this was one I could stay with and be satisfied, I was able to sell my higher priced flute to downsize for my economics and playing regime. It is exactly what I wanted and needed at this time and place in my life. It's an M&E Ebonite keyless, with the traditional embouchure cut. Easy-peasy care too-I can leave it out, handy to play.

It's not all just the flute, but the relationship you are able to make with one. If it fits you well, you will know. And what works for one, isn't necessarily the answer for another fluter. Some are lucky to find their matches early on, and some not. It's definitely a process, and highly individualistic in nature, but you do have to put some time in first to be able to tell when it's right. I also realize that there are many flutes out there that would suit me, given time and money to find them. But I'm more practical now, and have to be, so here I am, but happy I've found it.
~~~~
Barry
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

greenspiderweb wrote:I also realize that there are many flutes out there that would suit me, given time and money to find them. But I'm more practical now, and have to be, so here I am, but happy I've found it.
And there's the nub of it. As they say in tractor pulls around here, "Run what ya brung."

Me, I'm done buying flutes. I've collected two great concert flutes, some grand Delrin flutes in other keys, and that's way more than I deserve!

Although if there was one flute I might have the occasional little frisson about ... I played a WONDERFUL cocobolo flute from John Gallagher in the Catskills this summer. He's on to something really, really cool ... oh, and then there was Dave Copley's newly tweaked design this winter ... :twisted:

OK, seriously. There are so many great flutes out there anymore. Even the budget flute bar is way, WAY higher than when I started playing 10 years ago. It's a good time to be a flute player.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

My name is Hugh, and I am recovering from flute acquisition disorder. (Audience: Hi Hugh!) In hindsight, I would have done just fine, and done it sooner, if I had picked nearly any of the flutes that have passed through my hands and worked on a that single flute. I've heard so many players who do brilliant things on all kinds of different flutes, and realize that it's not the flute.

I played many perfectly fine flutes that I moved on to pay for the next one (blush: a Bryan Byrne, an Aebi, a Grinter, a Wilkes, a Murray, a Watson). The flute I've most regretted selling was the keyless boxwood Chris Wilkes (what was I thinking, sob...). If I was advising someone else on the flute that I think offers the best combination of tuning, responsiveness, cost, delivery time, feel in the hands and sound, it would be Glen Watson.

Why did I stop flute rolling? I was going on a long holiday in a country with very limited baggage allowances, and decided to dig out my Cameron Stanesby Jr. copy baroque flute, with the tiny round embouchure, and I played that for a month. When I came home and picked up my cocus Morvan and applied my new focussed embouchure to it, it just sang, and produced the sound that was always there, but that I hadn't managed to find. Now I find I can get similar tone out of any flute I play. So I've stopped at the Morvan (a weakness for cocus..).

I still think from time to time that I could get "just one more flute". So far I am resisting, although like Cathy, John Gallagher's flutes might make me stray. I have a Rudall and Rose that is lovely, but that will likely have to go when Joe Kennedy says that my place on his uilleann pipe waiting list has come to the top. Happily or not, getting older and realizing that there are fewer means to live within should curb my enthusiasm.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.