Memory aids?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've often found that I'm ornamenting in places
where I simply never bothered to learn
the tune. I think one really has to be careful
about ornamentation.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Some ornaments are necessary technical things you just have to do otherwise you're not even playing the instrument correctly. Others are more optional.

Some people do put in more ornaments than they should. And some people probably put in a lot less than they are capable of.
That's human nature. We tend to like the things we can do well
It's not even just that. If I like the tune and even if it is harder than another one, I'll learn it more easily and retain it more easily just because I like it.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Tootler wrote: Most people can learn to play an instrument at least competently. It is a matter of finding one that suits you and that can sometimes take a long time.
Geoff
I used to be more competent, but a lack of ability to read sheet music caused me to quit piano, a lack of desire to go to church caused me to quit guitar and bell choir, and a strong desire not to be physically attacked caused me to quit riding the bus down to my flute lessons.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The very forces that drove me to the kazoo!
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

jim stone wrote:I've often found that I'm ornamenting in places
about ornamentation.
same for me. good point. old habits die hard.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Tootler wrote:There are two things here. Firstly, fiddles are good. A well played fiddle has a rhythmic drive that no other "folk" instrument can equal IMHO.
You obviously have never heard a really well-played accordion, then.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

jim stone wrote:I've often found that I'm ornamenting in places
about ornamentation.
In many cases, I learn a tune more because of how someone plays it than because the tune itself was so fantastic. When that happens, I incorporate the ornaments that attracted me to the tune as part of the process of learning it. I am sometimes surprised when I hear someone else play a tune I've learned this way to find that, without the ornament, the tune loses much of its punch. I think it is a mistake to think of ornaments as a separate entity from a melodic line in a tune. ITM is an aural tradition, and how you play a tune is closely tied to how you learned it. Ornaments are a part of that, even if you end up changing or discarding some as you make the tune your own.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

johnkerr wrote:
Tootler wrote:There are two things here. Firstly, fiddles are good. A well played fiddle has a rhythmic drive that no other "folk" instrument can equal IMHO.
Especially not an accordion!! :)
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Tootler wrote:
johnkerr wrote:
OOPS! Better not tell Phill Cunningham, Joe Burke, Jimmy Keane, or John Whelan, then.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cubitt wrote:
Tootler wrote:
johnkerr wrote: You obviously have never heard a really well-played accordion, then.
OOPS! Better not tell Phill Cunningham, Joe Burke, Jimmy Keane, or John Whelan, then.
More like Joe Cooley & Tony MacMahon.
/Bloomfield
awildman

Post by awildman »

An accordion can have great drive. Anybody happen to see the Oreichtas (sp?) sean-nos dance special on TG4? Its still in the archives. The accordion player, whose name I forget had unmistakable rhythm.

I still prefer the fiddle for its versatility and beauty, but an accordion is next on my list to learn after I master the fiddle, flute, and whistle.