WTB: cylindrical simple system flute (antique)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
James_Alto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: WTB: cylindrical simple system flute (antique)

Post by James_Alto »

Surely your Macintosh much have some such thing?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

How would my brain know how to access it though!

My Mac is 7 years old. I'm running on Tiger OSX. It's been incredibly stable - which is why I've never upgraded.

Before then, I didn't know about the internet. I was well-behaved and very meek. Now .... there's no turning back. I'm afraid you've got me :lol:
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

As MTGuru says, Boxnet's free option is more than adequate. You'll notice it is what most of us here use for audio clip sharing. If you don't already have software to convert your wav file to mp3 (Boxnet will accept the wav, but it'll eat into your memory allocation as well as being slower to upload and for listeners to access - I don't think Boxnet's "preview" function will work other than with mp3), there are freeware solutions on Download.com or just install Audacity, which can do file conversions as well as being a useful recording and editing tool.

Seeing your latest post, James, you can always install EasyMP3SoundRecorder and upload your minidisc recordings as analog input via the computer's line in, recording them in real time to MP3. It is what I do with my minidisc (not a direct upload model!) but that would be harder than transferring the wavs and converting them as I just suggested.

AS for your flute, I take it you see the resemblance to the ones I linked. Yours may be a well-tweaked version, but I'd lay very high odds it is the same thing.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Crikes. I can't believe it's this complicated!

I actually have Audacity, but I've never used it. I've just logged into look at it, and I really don't understand it.

I can record onto mini-disc, and I have a mini-disc, portable, and hi-fi, and in-car, so it is my preferred medium. Why can't everyone else be as sensible :lol:

You can tell I'm a real luddite huh? I did order a digital recorder, but the catastrophic events in Japan a few months ago have delayed production and release.

Yes - I think that .wav file is 10MB big at least :(
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Not really complicated - no need to "understand". Open Audacity, click file - open and select the file you want to convert. Wait for it to load, then click export and select the format you want to export it as (mp3) and the file destination, then run it. I think that should be it. Then you can upload the resulting mp3 to Boxnet. Seems complicated now because unfamiliar (is that becoming a familiar feeling around here? ;-)), but once you've done it a few times it'll seem a doddle.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

jemtheflute wrote:Not really complicated - no need to "understand". Open Audacity, click file - open and select the file you want to convert. Wait for it to load, then click export and select the format you want to export it as (mp3) and the file destination, then run it. I think that should be it. Then you can upload the resulting mp3 to Boxnet. Seems complicated now because unfamiliar (is that becoming a familiar feeling around here? ;-)), but once you've done it a few times it'll seem a doddle.

Haha! You genius!

Thank you. I've got past the first sentence.....and then my computer seems to be swearing at me, calling me Lame. I'm going to have to spend a bit longer to see what this is about ....