Tunes like Scarborough Fair and Danny Boy

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

Wombat wrote:For those who need to extend themselves beyond ITM—isn't that everyone—and aren't enjoying the classical stuff, I have three words: jazz, blues, klezmer. :twisted: Just those three words, no particular order.
Nope, there are some that don't, Wombat. Some just like ITM.
Me, I started, and always return to, rock n' roll; got into the flute through Tull, although I suppose that's somewhere between jazz and blues, classical and baroque, and -- of course -- rock n' roll.
Spend most of my time on baroque, lately, on a one-key; much nicer to play Handel on that then on a silver flute, and -- in a bit of reversal to what James said (although I agreed with his sentiment) -- playing baroque on a small-holed traverso helped my Irish playing immensely. All goes to embouchure control, either way.

But Jim, if you really don't like most of the music, don't torture yourself. There are some "modern" Irish players I can't listen to, no matter how technicaly good they are. I like the old, even hokey stuff, that sounds like it makes leprechauns dance, not stuff that sounds like a clarinet on speed.

Play music you love; it's not medicine you have to take. The trick is finding something you like in music that's challenging.

Gordon
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Gordon wrote:
Wombat wrote:For those who need to extend themselves beyond ITM—isn't that everyone—and aren't enjoying the classical stuff, I have three words: jazz, blues, klezmer. :twisted: Just those three words, no particular order.
Nope, there are some that don't, Wombat. Some just like ITM.
I said 'need', not 'like', Gordon. :devil:

Actually some people do really just want to do the one thing well and stick to it and I don't really object; it's not my business to run their lives. I just find in my own playing that playing different styles helps a lot with all of them, just as playing different instruments helps with all of them.

One thing I certainly agree with: with so much great music out there in so many different styles, why play music you don't like? I'm sure there's no technical exercise you need to play which can't be incorporated into something in a style you like. If it can't be, why do you need to learn it?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, I'd like to be able to play in sessions; also I went to master (ha!)
technique. A fair amount of the music played in sessions
leaves me unmoved, it's celebratory, great to
dance to, but I think if I learn to play it
maybe I'll like it better. That I'm unmoved
by it may have to do more with me
than the music. And I'm persuaded
that this is the music I need to learn
to get the technique. I hasten to add that
I love a great deal of celtic music,
but much--not all--of the stuff
I like best is slower.

Best