wilkes??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Steampacket:

You're in Lund, Sweden? One of my mates used to live there for a time. He is a big Indian (from New Dehli), but he couldn't tell people back home what city he lived in...because Lund in Hindi means "penis," and people in India couldn't stop laughing in order to understand that Lund is actually a very nice town with great people and culture.

In any case, one can play a Wilkes in Lund, but not a Lund in Wilkes. :P

Regards,
G

Just thought I'd lighten up the tension.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

andrew wrote:Steampacket describes The Wilkes mouthhole as nearly round .I have a fairly recent one before me which is 10mm x 11.5 mm . It doesn't look at all round
Andrew, is your Wilkes an R&R or Pratten?

Loren
andrew

Post by andrew »

Chris Wilkes is a rather private person ,who has not looked for any publicity .He does not worry about charging what inferior makers feel justified in asking .His only concern is to get the next flute just as good as it can be. He has no interest in what people think of his work - if they do not like it or more likely cannot use what it has to offer the more experienced blower he doesn't mind . He is working for posterity .He is presently mulling over bores- mellow v bright .You are looking at a tiny difference in the reaming .
I shall ask him if his workshops can be shown .( Always immaculately tidy , especially compared with mine! ).
I perhaps could ask him some questions if there is anything you want to know of his flute philosophy or ideas about models .He can't be bothered normally .
If you all post you questions I shall see if I can motivate him .Like a Christmas number of Chiff & ...
andrew

Post by andrew »

The Wilkes headjoint is a Rudall model . -Though I have just checked a nearly mint Rudall & Rose which has an almost round hole .It produces a very big sound though (or would if I can ever get the pads working . They are the flat kind .).Chris makes his Rudall hole at 10 - !0.4 mm X 11.7 mm usually .If People ,or Americans ,really do have questions for Chris perhaps they should be on a new thread ,for the Bumper Christmas Edition I have just warned him about .Nothing commercial ,of course .
The Pratten holes are much bigger - more like a tea spoon (but not quite a dinner plate ).
andrew

Post by andrew »

Do you think that the keyed Olwell which was knocked out in the bar for
500 punt might have been Matt Molloy 's stolen one ?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Do you think boxwood is better for kazoos than cocus ?
( Sorry )
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Do you think that the keyed Olwell which was knocked out in the bar for
500 punt might have been Matt Molloy 's stolen one ?" Andrew.

No - Bev & David Feely are well known session players, they both play flutes and fiddles, Bev's a very good flute player, great people, they wouldn't buy any stolen flute, let alone Matt Molloy's. The seller was some young Amercian chap who was a beginner, there at Tubbercurry for the classes. The flute was quite new from what I remember and the chap had decided flute playing wasn't for him, so he sold the flute in order to have more funds whilst in Europe. I think his parents had paid for the flute. Could have been 4 years ago, their child was in a push chair and they were living in Dundalk having moved there from Leicester or Manchester.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Wombat wrote:
jim stone wrote:I'm switching to the kazoo.
Who makes the best kazoo, Olwell or Wilkes? :lol:
Good old Wombat!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Do you think that the keyed Olwell which was knocked out in the bar for
500 punt might have been Matt Molloy 's stolen one ?" Andrew.

No - Bev & David Feely are well known session players, they both play flutes and fiddles, Bev's a very good flute player, great people, they wouldn't buy any stolen flute, let alone Matt Molloy's. The seller was some young Amercian chap who was a beginner, there at Tubbercurry for the classes. The flute was quite new from what I remember and the chap had decided flute playing wasn't for him, so he sold the flute in order to have more funds whilst in Europe. I think his parents had paid for the flute. Could have been 4 years ago, their child was in a push chair and they were living in Dundalk having moved there from Leicester or Manchester.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Chris Wilkes is a rather private person ...." Andrew

Fair enough - I can respect that - Merry Christmas to all ye flutemakers out there
Michel

Post by Michel »

it would be nice having a interview with Mr Wilkes, maybe similar to those
on Brad Hurley's website. tried a flute made by him for the first time
a month ago in Ireland, and liked it a lot. amazing low air requirements,
as others have said.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

There is an interview with Chris Wilkes in the Febuary 2002 issue of IMM entitled "School of excellence" Does anyone have that issue and could they do a scan and mail it, I assume it the interview is only a couple of pages?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Steampacket wrote:There is an interview with Chris Wilkes in the Febuary 2002 issue of IMM entitled "School of excellence" Does anyone have that issue and could they do a scan and mail it, I assume it the interview is only a couple of pages?
I would be interested in reading that, as I have enjoyed reading the various interviews of makers and performers.

Mary
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

There was also a very nice interview in an old Woodwind Quarterly, and I have it somewhere. When I find it, I will take digital pictures of it and make it available.
~JessieD
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

That would be great!

Mary