Some more of my "Tacky Bling"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Some more of my "Tacky Bling"

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Seeing as this is a tradition of (for the most part) simplicity, you're really marketing to the wrong audience with this gaudy sort of embellishment. All we need to make a flute "individual and personal" as you say is a simple carving on the headjoint or perhaps a well-placed scratch from years of happy playing. Seeing as most of our flutes are wooden, this sort of thing is doubly pointless.

However, I'm sure there's a 13 year old girl out there somewhere looking to integrate rhinestones into yet more aspects of her life. Try the Junior Band forums over at Valley Middle School.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

^^^ Oooh, saucer of milk for Table 5! :)

m.d.
BrianPowley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BrianPowley »

In other words, "Don't go away mad, just go away"----that about right? LOL!
Last edited by BrianPowley on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Seeing as this is a tradition of (for the most part) simplicity, you're really marketing to the wrong audience with this gaudy sort of embellishment. All we need to make a flute "individual and personal" as you say is a simple carving on the headjoint or perhaps a well-placed scratch from years of happy playing. Seeing as most of our flutes are wooden, this sort of thing is doubly pointless.
Have to say that (while I don't actually want it myself) I've no problem with seeing it here...
However, I'm sure there's a 13 year old girl out there somewhere looking to integrate rhinestones into yet more aspects of her life. Try the Junior Band forums over at Valley Middle School.
And (whether you like it or not) that's seriously misjudging the quality and target market of Brian's work!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Peter Duggan wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Seeing as this is a tradition of (for the most part) simplicity, you're really marketing to the wrong audience with this gaudy sort of embellishment. All we need to make a flute "individual and personal" as you say is a simple carving on the headjoint or perhaps a well-placed scratch from years of happy playing. Seeing as most of our flutes are wooden, this sort of thing is doubly pointless.
Have to say that (while I don't actually want it myself) I've no problem with seeing it here...
And (whether you like it or not) that's seriously misjudging the quality and target market of Brian's work!
I just find it funny after receiving overwhelmingly negative feedback on almost every post he's made, he continues to toot his own horn, as if maybe we'll all go out and by some GlitterFlutes (TM) if he posts just one more sparkly picture. Heck, excepting a very few threads, he's not even working on the same instrument we all play. Aren't there craftsmanship forums out there you could join rather than doing your attention-seeking thing with the unappreciative?

As for target market, well, you can glue rhinestones to a flute for $3 or mount them professionally for $400, but the end result is still rhinestones on a flute. Not that that's a narrow audience by any means; see http://www.friendshipismagic.org/forum/.
Last edited by MadmanWithaWhistle on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

BrianPowley wrote:In other words, "Don't go away mad, just go away"----that about right?
Just lose the jemstones, start with that.

Speaking of Jem, i think Jem tried to show you on your last posting the kind if things that people here may or may not be interested in depending on their taste. I have no problem either with you posting your work here but i feel my last comment stands true. you show a lot of very highly ornamental work that you produce quickly and the more examples you show the cheaper they seem, all the more so because you are using precious metals and semiprecious stones. The quality and thought put into the work should reflect the materials and so it would probably appeal to peoples tastes here if you presented your simple carving work and stay away from the embelishments. Then, if you post less frequently you are less likely to annoy people. It's kind of like bringing a set of bongos to a session. you might get away with it once but eventually someone is going to ask you politely to tone it down a noch.

so IMHO i just think you should turn the volume back a notch, sit back, look and listen. There are people here on this forum that are some of the most talented artists and craftsmen in the world.

Do you like ITM?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BrianPowley wrote:In other words, "Don't go away mad, just go away"----that about right?
Nah. I mean, we pretty much hinted that right at the start of the thread, and we've tolerated you so far, so I don't see any reason you couldn't stick around. At least a few of us appreciate the craftsmanship involved, a few even play Boehm-style flutes, and who knows how many actually prefer to appreciate the gun engraving?

It would be nice if you post any new work in the future, if you can either embed the image in your post, or link to it directly. Your pages take a long time to load, with all the images there, so it's not easy to view the current piece, and figure out which one the discussion is about.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

monkeymonk wrote:Then, if you post less frequently you are less likely to annoy people. It's kind of like bringing a set of bongos to a session. you might get away with it once but eventually someone is going to ask you politely to tone it down a noch.
Too many wannabe Mods on this thread for my taste!
Do you like ITM?
Who knows? But is it relevant?
Peter Duggan [url=http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?p=1082750#p1082750]previously[/url] wrote:On which note (heading off at a slight tangent to the OP) I must say I sometimes struggle with the overbearing 'Irishness' of C&F (folks apologising for discussing other stuff as if 'ITM' was the only true trad. etc.) when there's actually remarkably little set down to justify that...
So, yes, perhaps Brian's landed in a flute forum that didn't expect him any more than he expected it but, hell, I'm embarrassed to be a member here the way some of you are attacking him!
kkrell wrote:Nah. I mean, we pretty much hinted that right at the start of the thread, and we've tolerated you so far, so I don't see any reason you couldn't stick around. At least a few of us appreciate the craftsmanship involved, a few even play Boehm-style flutes, and who knows how many actually prefer to appreciate the gun engraving?
What Kevin said!

Master of nine?
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Peter Duggan wrote:
monkeymonk wrote:Then, if you post less frequently you are less likely to annoy people. It's kind of like bringing a set of bongos to a session. you might get away with it once but eventually someone is going to ask you politely to tone it down a noch.
Too many wannabe Mods on this thread for my taste!

I don't want to moderate anything and it is just my opinon, i was trying to be helpful as the guy seemed offended
Do you like ITM?
Who knows? But is it relevant?

isn't it?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

monkeymonk wrote:I have no problem either with you posting your work here
Apologies for missing that bit! :oops:

P

Master of nine?
MadmanWithaWhistle

I would say that having at least an interest in well, maybe not just ITM, but Celtic/English/Canadian folk music is kind of the point of this forum, no? Otherwise wouldn't we all be posting on some concert forum arguing over Copeland the composer rather than Copeland the whistlesmith? We don't invade the orchestral flute forums advertising engraved endcaps on simple system flutes (at least, not to my knowledge). It just seems rather out-of-touch to be hawking BoehmBling (TM) on this forum without really any knowledge of the instrument or having demonstrated any desire to learn about the wooden simple-system flute. The OP seems to be looking more for attention than anything else (heck, he even quotes himself in his signature), and I'm just pointing out that it seems a wee bit self-absorbed.
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Peter Duggan wrote:Who knows? But is it relevant?
Oops, I should have said interested in the type of music people discuss on this forum. Klezmer anyone?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

BrianPowley wrote:Yeah, I know......just being ornery (and I was kinda bored) LOL!
Perhaps better not to post for these reasons. Why fish for insults?
Better to post pictures of stuff you think is top notch or that we might like,
or not post pictures at all. Have a nice day.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Locked for review.

- Mod
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician