Tunesofwood Flutes - Has anyone played one?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Tunesofwood Flutes - Has anyone played one?

Post by Nanohedron »

Jäger wrote:And comes with FREE STUFF.
Like shop dust, lint, and burrs in the toneholes, I expect.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Funny that nobody mentioned the word p*******i yet :twisted:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Othannen wrote:Funny that nobody mentioned the word p*******i yet :twisted:
I dunno...the design is pretty revolutionary for that lot. Indicates somebody's actually thinking about things.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I just did a very fast search, check out Latticino's post:
viewtopic.php?t=34685&start=75
They're getting better at marketing. To an untrained eye...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I bought one of these in March mainly because I was curious, and I returned it immediately. I can't say that I remember much about the details. Anyway the sellers gave me negative feedback on ebay for some strange reason, which they later tried to correct. So right now my feedback reads: Praise: A liar, got full refund, illiterate. Sellers Beware. I haven't done anything to change it because I don't want to jump through all the hoops at ebay.

There are two things that I have learned about the flute ads on ebay. First, it is not uncommon for sellers to misrepresent the flute (fully playable, HA), and, secondly, the feedback reports seem to mean very little. For example, the seller will say that it's a terrific flute and he may have positive feedback to that effect, but what you actually receive is a piece of junk. I like the feedback on Amazon.com, where it is fairly easy to rate an item based on the 5 star rating system. If 20 people report back with a one and a half star average rating, you will be advised to avoid that item. I think that the feedback rating system on ebay is dysfunctional.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Aanvil wrote:No, never heard of them and a little searching doesn't provide anything much about who or what these folks are about.
Will be at the Richmond Folk Festival next October:
http://www.richmondfolkfestival.org/doc ... place.html
So perhaps someone who lives in/near Richmond VA might like to go and try them out? (NB I can wait for that!)

Also apparently make dubious 'Swedish' bagpipes:
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/sho ... p?t=135739
Othannen wrote:If the total length (not sounding length) is 58 cm as they say, it's very unlikely that it will play at A=440 hz
Yep, I was going to say that...
Jäger wrote:But this plays a D @ 440, so that makes it OK. :wink:
And that...

But thought I'd said enough already until tempted back again to say so!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oooooh! It's got a knob!

Whatever the origins of this flute..... one of the things that amuses me about all the wooden (P)FLOs and related or similar thingummies is that they drill the holes in the wrong place in the timber. Look at your antiques, people, and probably the vast majority of reputable modern maker flutes too. The embouchure and main line of tone-holes will be drilled 90 degrees away from where all these dodgy things have theirs. That is, good makers drill their main holes in the same plane as the flat grain in the baulk of timber. Thus any V or eye patterns in the grain will be on the sides of the flute (approx 3 - & 6-o-clock positions) when the hole spine-line is pointing up (12-o-clock position). The holes should not be drilled perpendicular to the grain, on the line of apices of the Vs/eyes. I don't know for sure the logic of this, but I'm sure the old guys knew what they were doing and I guess it has something to do with how much end-grain of any one layer in the grain is exposed in a hole, especially one which may get wet, and thence to minimising any propensity of the timber to crack or swell and distort in the hole.

FWIW, the (keyless, short D foot) Fred Rose I have here is 597mm overall, but appears to have a shorter section above the embouchure than this knobby thing has..... Hmmmm. Another HP copy?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Here's a serious question: Are there any legitimate makers, of good reputation, who make/sell this particular combination of flutes, various pipes, drums, and kilts?

Seems to me this mix, or some part of it, is pretty much a dead giveaway.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:Oooooh! It's got a knob!
Yeah: whoever bought it.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

minor comment:
the case looks more professional than the flute itself...
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

Doug_Tipple wrote: So right now my feedback reads: Praise: A liar, got full refund, illiterate. Sellers Beware.
I love it - I'd be happy with that reputation! I must work harder.

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Jemtheflute said :
... any V or eye patterns in the grain will be on the sides of the flute (approx 3 - & 6-o-clock positions) when the hole spine-line is pointing up (12-o-clock position).
That may be true of old flutes, but I've got three wooden Moeck Tuju recorders where the v-patterning is in line with the holes, but the fourth, the sopranino, has the pattern on the sides. Maybe the type of wood involved has a bearing on this :-?
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Kypfer wrote:
Jemtheflute wrote:... any V or eye patterns in the grain will be on the sides of the flute (approx 3 - & 6-o-clock positions) when the hole spine-line is pointing up (12-o-clock position).
That may be true of old flutes, but I've got three wooden Moeck Tuju recorders where the v-patterning is in line with the holes, but the fourth, the sopranino, has the pattern on the sides. Maybe the type of wood involved has a bearing on this :-?
I don't know about recorders. I haven't that I can recall seen any old flutes, box, grenadilla or cocus, with holes drilled other than as I described - and I had a quick check of a few I have here of various periods, nationalities etc. before I wrote the above last night. To the extent I've noticed on reputable maker modern flutes, the same applies. My new Wilkes head and the Rose keyless certainly conform.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:
Kypfer wrote:
Jemtheflute wrote:... any V or eye patterns in the grain will be on the sides of the flute (approx 3 - & 6-o-clock positions) when the hole spine-line is pointing up (12-o-clock position).
I don't know about recorders. I haven't that I can recall seen any old flutes, box, grenadilla or cocus, with holes drilled other than as I described - and I had a quick check of a few I have here of various periods, nationalities etc. before I wrote the above last night. To the extent I've noticed on reputable maker modern flutes, the same applies. My new Wilkes head and the Rose keyless certainly conform.
Jem, what do you make of these CT scans of his Rudall and Rose, courtesy of Gerry Strong?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, Kevin, they certainly go against my observation! I can see a possible strong reason for doing it on that joint with the multiply cut blocks! It would reduce the tendency for the narrow tongues between keys to snap off - something they are prone to. So maybe they then decided to match it up the flute.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums