What do you play in addition to flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MikeS

Re: What do you play in addition to flute?

Post by MikeS »

Trombone, tuba, trumpet and cornet.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

1st study sax player, teach woodwind in school.

Play electric bass in my band.

Musical heroes would be John Coltrane, Jaco Pastorius & Eric Dolphy
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think I'd like to play with my digital tape recorder in Glinjack's kitchen! :)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Just the flute. That's more than enough for me!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I'm back to playing the 12 string acoustic guitar with the folk group at church since the other guitar player left. I still get to play the flute for a few of the Mass parts.
I keep a harmonica in my pocket and I play this whenever I'm waiting in line or have to kill time.
I play the simple flute in my livingroom and other places that I can get away with it. This is now my primary instrument.
I keep a whistle and a fife (and other fun stuff) in my work computer bag. I'm a social worker and sometimes it comes in pretty handy to have a bag full of tricks.
I try to regularly play my whistles, the silver flute, my ocarina, and concertina to keep in practice.

Side note: We have a new dog. All of the other dogs we had lived for my wife's daily piano recital for their benefit. When we're both practicing in different rooms, Lucky will come my way to listen to my flute rather than her piano music. At the moment, Lucky likes me better too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Chieftain Gold Bd whistle.
Blues harp

I no longer play the lottery although the movie was alright.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Saxophone. I have an Alto that I haven't picked up in years but really I prefer Bb Soprano (straight). Years ago I tripped into a music store and he had some Selmer Sopranos that he was selling for $1,500.00. When I think back on it now I could kick myself for not having the 1,500 bucks. They're about $5,500 to $6,000 these days.

Oh well.

Regards,

Kirk
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

I started out with saxophone, alto and soprano. Also guitar, recorder, bodhran, mandolin and whistles. I also played clarinet for a year or so. Also sing quite a bit. It's hard to find timie for every thing there is to play....
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

Highland pipes
Scottish Smallpipes in A,Bb,C & D all bellows blown by various makers
Border pipes in A by Garvie
Whistles my favourite is an Olive wood Bleazey in D.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I have been playing more whistle than flute lately, not good for my flute progress! All kinds of whistles, from high to low, from various makers, including self-made.

When I need a break from puffing,or when the sun is shining seductively, I play mandola: a lovely octave mandola made by Button and restrung as a tenor mandola.

And then there is always the temptation to mess with other instruments lying around, like a Shakuhachi, some self-made PVC kavals, a Xaphoon, blues harps, bamboo flutes...

And for some wild times at the fire or the beach or by the river I may play djembe with friends.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Oh... I forgot... and the kettlebells.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
mgpiper

Post by mgpiper »

Besides Irish flute, I play whistle and uilleann pipes. For early music: recorder, crumhorn, shawm and flute. For other music: saxophone (my major in college), clarinet, flute and oboe (though the oboe playing is a bit rusty these days).

I think I must have ADD..
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

before anyone says 'woha' or anything, im not particularly 'good' at any of theese, strong enough and with enough experience / confidence to play 5 in public (one of which is only kind of a drum and one of which is an argument waiting to happen). Aditionally i work in a job where 'positive feedback' is more elusive then a pay rise and as such i jump on all of the oppertunities to blow my own trumpet* i can get a hold of.

have played in public: (in order of aprtitude i suppose)
Laptop (yes its an instrument, and like any instrument its gor darn hard to play well.)
Whistle (my main performance instrument)
Low Whistle (keybored / piano got its own line so whistle/low gets on for compleetness)
Synths / keys (as seperate from the piano is low whistle is to whistle i suppose)
Bodhran (for my sins im paying for lessons! its a facinatingly quick piece of goat)

could play in public: (with enough warning)
flute (currently my main practice instrument)
piano
gituar (rythem)
D'jembi

retired:
voice (fell to bits when it broke, but i was training for solo singing before that - got to grade 3)
pipe organ (would love to try this again but there are so few ways to practice - grade 1)
Lyre (first instruent i picked up, would love to dust it off if they wernt so darn expensive)

on the list: (in order of order)
Violin (picked it up casually to learn some tunes, not too serious about getting good at it)
Ullian Pipes, (deadley fecking serious about learning theese well, and starting soon.)
Piano Accordian, (theres one in the family, i can alredy play piano, what could *possibly* go wrong)
Lyre ..then... Harp.
Hurdey Gurdey
Swedish Keyed Fiddle (Nyckelharpa)

*i cant actually play trumpet
Last edited by chris_coreline on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

chris_coreline wrote:*i cant actually play trumpet
is okay.....we can't actually hear you :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Guitar every day, Highland pipes rarely.

With best regards.

Stephen
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen