Boxwood Rudall on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hoovorff »

That's "loverly"! Whimper, whimper, whimper.....
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ah hell, it's probably crawling with termites.

sob
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Oooooohhhhhh! (Sigh.)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

sorry guys....been busy buying world series tickets here! Go Rockies!

anyway....
yes, the Fyfer website is not up since i've flipped servers and am updating the page.

sorry, but I only had "one flippin" foto......but I could make more if needed.

I'm just not playing this flute (my beloved Rudall #6208 taking precedent and my boxwood rudall #1900 taking second place).
So it's time it finds a happy home. It's a beautiful flute indeed, but I'm a large-holed flute kind of guy.

The other question was about the weight.....boxwood is definitely less dense (and ergo weighs less) than cocus flutes. Also the rings are ivory so weigh less. Now, boxwood flutes with patent heads do weigh more up top. I had one not long ago that I sold to a well-known individual who adored the balance because of the extended B foot.

I think that answers everyone!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

David Migoya wrote: The other question was about the weight.....boxwood is definitely less dense (and ergo weighs less) than cocus flutes. Also the rings are ivory so weigh less. Now, boxwood flutes with patent heads do weigh more up top. I had one not long ago that I sold to a well-known individual who adored the balance because of the extended B foot.
Thank you.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hoovorff »

That sure is a great looking flute. I just hope it goes to someone who is going to actually play it, and not just a collector. That would be a shame. I notice the reserve is met.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

<sigh>

It is just about perfect, isn't it?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

just about, yes

i love the filament work someone (wilkes maybe?) did to "band" the crack in the headpiece (not at the embouchure) and the barrel. Very stylish and unobstrusive.

Most ivory-banded flutes have ring cracks, but this one doesn't. Lucky i guess.

dm
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

David Migoya wrote:just about, yes

i love the filament work someone (wilkes maybe?) did to "band" the crack in the headpiece (not at the embouchure) and the barrel. Very stylish and unobstrusive.

Most ivory-banded flutes have ring cracks, but this one doesn't. Lucky i guess.

dm
Hi,
Nice looking flute.
David, do you know if Patrick pulled the sleeve, and relieved the pressure on the wood when the head when he repaired the crack?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Jon
Pat never had the flute. You probably mean Chris.
I don't know, since this is precisely how I acquired the flute some time ago. It's my guess that Chris did the work, but I have not asked him. The precision of it made me think so.....and the fact the flute had been in the UK for many years.

dm
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

David Migoya wrote:Jon
Pat never had the flute. You probably mean Chris.
I don't know, since this is precisely how I acquired the flute some time ago. It's my guess that Chris did the work, but I have not asked him. The precision of it made me think so.....and the fact the flute had been in the UK for many years.

dm
Thanks for the info. I am sure if Chris repaired it, he did a good job of it!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Somebody enlighten me. Why so much oohing and ahhing over this flute?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

do not stare at the photo in the ebay ad. do not look deeply. or you will come under "the spell". the mystique of rudall&rose will come to haunt you. you will consider selling your loved ones just to have one of these rare and distinguished flutes.

i did...

...and it was best deal i ever made.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol:
daiv

Post by daiv »

sbfluter wrote:Somebody enlighten me. Why so much oohing and ahhing over this flute?
all your base are belong to it.

it gloooooooooooooooooooows. how can you resist?

everyone knows it's not how it plays but how it looks.