new eamonn cotter flute/adjusting emboucher question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

You mentioned that the size of the finger holes is larger. Air could be leaking there.

I have a flute with a small embouchure hole and large finger holes: my Tipple. It is hard for me to play. But whenever I want to blame the embouchure the problem is really air leakage on a finger or two.

I also get air leakage on my new Low whistle for the same reason: big holes. And it's not the finger I expected that's the culprit!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Grease up the tennons, slide and head cork and tape up all the holes with something like blue painters tape. Seals well... easy to remove and replace.

Then try for the D.

You'll be able tell right away.

You can then remove only one tape at a time and replacing the one just below and using your finger to close the opened.

It may be possible see where your grip might need to be adjusted.

I like science.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I'm not sure if e is still checking the responses to this thread...
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2001
Still, no doubt someone else will find them useful!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Tintin wrote:I'm not sure if e is still checking the responses to this thread...
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2001
Still, no doubt someone else will find them useful!

:o
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Denny

Post by Denny »

...and he left the University of Illinois - Urbana in December of 2003
so his email addy isn't any good.

I do hope he's not too disappointed!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol:!

So e's probably the next TG4 Young Musician by now on that Cotter ... :lol:!

That was good. <smacking forehead> Thanks, y'all.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

could be, Ethan S. James may have given up microbiology after publishing a paper right before he left UIUC.

He hasn't shown up at any of your sessions, eh?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I apologise if the reviver of this thread is genuine, but I have encountered at least one example recently of some slightly odd, off-beat "interference" being run on this forum by (apparently) newbie members who, however, seem to have some reasonable knowledge of this special interest area - by which I mean kinda setting something up to see if it gets a response that might make the responders look somewhat ridiculous - a bit subtle and strangely pointless, unless there is some kind of subversive cell at work admiring each others' wind-ups????? :boggle:

I could well be (and hope I am) wrong about all that, and I'd like to add that I'm not paranoid nor given to conspiracy theorising as a rule but this just has me wondering.........

FWIW, the other example I referred to (and it is rather more obvious) is on the Makers List thread - one "Ben Dover" (!!!) - the content of the post is harmless, if slightly odd, but the giveaway is in the url link in "his" profile/signature - sad and offensive to say the least. His only other post is similarly weird in another thread, at least read with an eye alerted to something fishy going on. I can't for the life of me see why anyone would bother to be quite so creative in an attempt to cause what could only ever be minor disruption, though! Is there a solitary laugh in doing it, getting serious responses and the spoof never being noticed, perhaps? Ah well.

If sarahdennehy83 is genuine, I am sorry if I've tarred her with the same brush.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: dang Jem! ya get over 1,000 posts and ya start whinin' about the newbs! :lol:

Ben may just be tasteless, Sarah does seem odd. 'course she could just have found the thread w/Google and actually be what she says....
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote::lol: dang Jem! ya get over 1,000 posts and ya start whinin' about the newbs! :lol:

Ben may just be tasteless, Sarah does seem odd. 'course she could just have found the thread w/Google and actually be what she says....
Have I? :oops: Don't check..... - is that all? :D
Anyway, if my new-found paranoia is justified 8), are they really newbs? And "Ben Dover"?! Especially given the follow through, if you'll pardon the expression in the context! Sarah could indeed be real, as you say and as I allowed.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

There are people that have lurked for years and never joined. It makes it difficult to get to know them, eh!
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

jemtheflute wrote:Anyway, if my new-found paranoia is justified
Trust your gut feeling, Jem, your paranoia is valid...those oddball posters really are out to get us...they're part of the Conspiracy of Anonymous Lurkers...and every now and then, one of them breaks rank and surfaces in a forum like this...I know...I hear 'em whispering to each other when they're lurking about...don't let your guard down...and pretty soon you'll hear 'em too...if you don't believe me...just ask Denny...they're lurking out there alright... :shock:
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I do recall a terrific flute player from that way in around 2003 who came down to the sessions at our Irish fest, and in fact I thought his name was Ethan or something like that ... but he was playing a "FrankenO" as I recall -- pieces of at least two and maybe three Olwells, and he played like a pro. I'd suspect the guy I'm thinking of wouldn't be worried about his embouchure, but ... ?

Anyway, that was rather clever of the poster to turn this thread up and put it to such good use, even if by accident/serendipity. Guess I'll check my dates more carefully from now on!

And if you really want to see weird, have a look at this ...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=57826

IIRC .... Someone posted on the Pipes board looking for repair work. Someone else tipped him to a certain fellow; a day or two later the original poster reported how incredibly happy he was with the repair work. The repairer then posted how glad he was to have been of service. The original poster replied with a ringing endorsement of the repairer replete with contact info, etc -- basically an ad. All innocent enough in that light ... HOWEVER, it was determined all those messages were coming from the same IP address.

Still don't know -- and may never know -- what the real story is there, but dang. I've spent 20+ years in advertising and never seen anything like that!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

WOOF!