Cotter 6 key on the way

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Denny wrote:...could just be a gentleman... :D
Indeed he is - you'll get no argument from me on that account. :thumbsup:

Loren
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

GaryKelly wrote:
Loren wrote:Geeze dude, it's just a flute, don't go getting all girly about it
No! No! It's not just a flute! The flute is a flame! This flame burns in the stillness of the heart. it is the Spirit that is life itself. If the bodhran acts as the heartbeat, "then the ethereal flute is the beauty of the life-force that allows one's possibilities..."

It is also a motor car. And a wild animal.

:)
Lemme tell you... I own a 'vette, and if it handles like that, I'm in for a wild flootey ride.
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I predict it will be a lamp. And then you will need to send it to me, for I need and crave just such a lamp for a dark corner of my music room....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congrats Dave.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Thanks Avery... it arrived today. Excellent workmanship, may take me a while to get used to the curved key pin ends, but they're practical I guess, easy to remove for servicing. Right out of the case I can get a deep, dark tone out of it in almost any note. It's going to take me some time to get used to the finger position, as it's not very forgiving of improper hole covering, and I've never played a keyed Irish flute before. Being a piper fingering fan, I tend to depend more on finger position than tactile feedback. Very clean tone, all the way up past D"'. Absolutely no tuning issues whatsoever...bang on. Not as loud as the Bleazey, volume is close to my Copley, which I really like. I get the feeling right off that this is a flute that will be limited only by my ability. Will give a more comprehensive review after some playing time. :D
Cheers,
Dave
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

This might help: The Automatic Flute Review Generator

Technically, you should have completed the review *before* the flute arrived or within 10 minutes of opening the box. Although to be fair you've not done too bad a job, and I really like your phrase "not very forgiving of improper hole covering" :)

Not like the McChud bogoak holeless model which doesn't care whether you close the holes properly or not, it just *knows* what note you were really after and deliberately doesn't play it. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I think you'll find it louder than the Bleazey when you get better acquainted. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Doc Jones wrote:I think you'll find it louder than the Bleazey when you get better acquainted. :)

Doc
The question is: Will he stick with it long enough to find out? He's already on flute number 3.........

Loren
eilam

Post by eilam »

This might help: The Automatic Flute Review Generator

Technically, you should have completed the review *before* the flute arrived or within 10 minutes of opening the box. Although to be fair you've not done too bad a job, and I really like your phrase "not very forgiving of improper hole covering"

Not like the McChud bogoak holeless model which doesn't care whether you close the holes properly or not, it just *knows* what note you were really after and deliberately doesn't play it.

maybe the Cotter is a practice flute for the McChud bogoak ? happens all the time.
Loren, knowing that you will only stick to a flute for a few months, intensifies the experience, like having a butterfly as a pet, that too, happens all the time (but not to me) :wink:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

eilam wrote:Loren, knowing that you will only stick to a flute for a few months, intensifies the experience, like having a butterfly as a pet, that too, happens all the time (but not to me) :wink:
Well, this is, of course, what ultimately gives me hope that I may be able to actually make a living as a maker of wooden flutes. :P

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D awww! ain't that nice!!!

we're back to half full :D
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Loren wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:I think you'll find it louder than the Bleazey when you get better acquainted. :)

Doc
The question is: Will he stick with it long enough to find out? He's already on flute number 3.........

Loren
Yeah, it's sorta spooky...what's scary is that each flute is so highly different in playing characteristics and tone...it really is like looking at apples and oranges in hopes of finding the perfect fit. Guess I should purchase a Seth Gallagher flute now, for comparison purposes, of course. heh heh heh..... if that Grinter that someone had at Tony's last gathering ever shows up for sale, I'm all over that puppy. Look out Jessie... I'm only about 30 flutes from being right on your tail...
:D
Dave
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Okay, you guys... here's the review as generated by the Automatic Review Generator... who was the madman that thought this thing up?
Dave

I've just received my new Cotter 6-key D flute and it's absolutely ooooh baby! I don't have nearly enough time to write a comprehensive review of the instrument, but will try to remember to do so in future. I can take some digital photos of it, but I might need a volunteer to host them. Any takers?
Here's a quick review though.

lumberwork
The quality of lumberwork is bitchin, and so is the fit and finish. The Cotter just screams quality. It's as though the flute just wants to be held! The distances between the holes and the hole sizes themselves were really good, and seemed to be made for my average hands. I think perhaps someone with small hands might want to consider this though. Holes were cut round, and straight, as though made with some kind of amazing machine, like a drill press.

Playability
The Cotter plays loud, smooth, light, clear, focused, a honking goose -- just what I'd wanted! . Super easy to fill the flute - it plays, in this respect, very like some of the other high end flutes I've tried (right, like I've tried just sooo many high-end flutes... and the Cotter ISN'T in this class???.... right!). It takes very little air, and is free blowing. I can tell it's capable of more than I can give it, so I look forward to earning this thing's respect!

It is in tune with itself, as far as my ears can tell. By varying my embouchure, I can sharpen or flatten the tone by as much as 50 cents each way. It's very well balanced across all 4 octaves.

I am most impressed with its responsiveness! This flute is like a Redhead, classy, sexy, all-out speed with beauty and power. It will cruise comfortably, hugging the curves, but when you put the throttle down, she'll take off like a rocket! Even though I've only been playing for 1 years and I'm not so good on the ornaments yet, I can tell this flute will always be able to play faster than I'm capable of!
I would say that in a session this Cotter would rip through the tunes like prunes through a goose. A real session powerhouse!

Tone
As I said, the Cotter plays loud, smooth, light, clear, focused, a honking goose, but you can vary the flute's tone through to rough, yellow, dirty dog stinky just by adjusting your embouchure! Vary the strength of your blow, and even with a real relaxed set of lips, you can get anything from a very focused tone to an airy unfocused tone, and it can be both loud and reedy or quiet and round.

Thank you Cotter, I love this flute! Oh, and did I mention that the Hard Low D is really going crazy and buzzing!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Look out Jessie... I'm only about 30 flutes from being right on your tail...
Want to guess how many keyed Irish D flutes I have?

Zero!

Or how many keyless D flutes with tuning slides?

Zero!

That era is over.
~JessieD
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Okay, you guys... here's the review as generated by the Automatic Review Generator... who was the madman that thought this thing up?
Dave
<snip>
Well, what do you know, it's not dissimilar to the original review!