Oiling and Humidity

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

For the memberane: How about a piece of coffee filter paper. I have also seen empty tea bags (for self filling) sold in fine kitchen supply stores for a couple of bucks a box. They are a little bigger than regular tea bags and might be easier to work with.

Clark
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

spittle wrote:it also sounds like you don't wet the salt enough to make a soupy paste that would actually leak out of a perforated container.
Omar wrote:'a saturated solution of common table salt in a sealed container
A saturated solution is one where the liquid can hold no more salt. So in this case, you dissolve as much table salt in water as you can until no more will dissolve (and any more just settles to the bottom of the liquid). You then decant the liquid into your 35mm film canister.

So yes, you have a canister full of liquid (brine, salt water), not a canister full of damp salt.

If you put a canister of salt in your instrument case, you'll suck up all the moisture in it!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

My understanding of the membrane is that it really is a typical lid of the 35 mm film container with some small holes drilled in it, not a separate piece of material like tea-bag or coffee filter. Am I wrong?
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

That's the impression I get too, Tom. But clearly this isn't any good for a flute case you intend to carry around; the solution would pour out the holes. Think it's meant only for static storage indoors, but only yer man the Bore Doctor can answer that definitively I reckon.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Thanks everyone for the clarification - I've promptly removed my teabag of damp salt, lol :o and gone back to a damp peice of paper towel. I'm going to get some of the green florist's foam (as used in humidors) as it's pretty good at dispensing moisture at an even rate. No more of this 'salty-water' mess - good idea, but not very practical for a mobile instrument and its case.

Cheers!
- Ryan
norseman

Post by norseman »

dow wrote:You know, this reminds me of something that I used in my guitar cases for years. It's called a Herco Guardfather, and is a little plastic tub with some clay in it. You saturate the clay in water, shake out the excess and put the tub in your case. It works on the same principle. Seems like they run around three or four dollars a piece. similar in size to a film canister, but maybe a little shorter and a little bigger around.

AHA! Here's a link Herco Guardfather. Your local guitar shop should have them. Might be a good solution, and much less likely to spill than salt.
Thanks dow! I had completely forgotten about these. I still have one I got at least 15 years ago for an old guitar. I'm going to try it out and see what level of humidity it keeps the inside of the Rubbermaid with my flute in it.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
norseman

Post by norseman »

The Guardfather is working very well! When I first put it inside the Rubbermaid, the humidity was around 55% after about a half hour. After being in there overnight, it's at 65% this morning. That range seems just about ideal.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Glad it's working! Those things last forever, and the price is certainly reasonable. I think they're around $3.00 or so at most guitar shops.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.