M&E flute never got home! ... wrong!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

My experience has been similar to Eric's. Avoid UPS whenever possible.

You shouldn't have to pay duty on a flute or other musical instrument for your personal use; the fees that Doug describes are most likely the federal and provincial sales taxes. Here in Canada these taxes are quite heftty...GST is 7 percent and the provincial taxes vary; in Quebec the QST is an additional 7.5 percent and is calculated on the price of the item PLUS the GST, so in effect you're paying tax on a tax.

I can understand why taxes are so high here (Canada has a tenth of the US population and thus a smaller tax base from which to attempt to provide social services, maintain the roads etc., plus we have our public health care system to pay for), but the biggest surprise for me when I moved here from the States was watching my income tax rate double. More than half (52%) of my annual income goes to pay federal and Quebec income taxes. Even accounting for what I paid for health insurance in the States, it's still a big adjustment.

Sorry for the off-topic rant ;-)
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

SirNick wrote:Leo,
That is a NIGHTMARE! I've got a flute on order that I'm hanging on the edge of my seat for. If it got lost in the mail, I might self destruct!

I am in the same boat....I am now having visions of my lovely flute being spirted away on the wong truck to some horrible fate.... and me calling every post office from WA state to Maine trying to hunt it down. I feel my blood presure rising now.... :moreevil:
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You've got roads? Wish California had roads.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

bradhurley wrote: We sent a parcel from Montreal to Brittany (western France) last year in early December, and it went via Vancouver to clear customs.
Haha! Nutty place isn't it?
Mail makes me so nervous...
sturob

Post by sturob »

DHL has a good track record with international stuff (at least into/out of the US), and I had good luck with FedEx when I lived in Canada. UPS stinks for border crossings.

It's not uncommon for businesses on either side of the US/Canada border to drive packages across the border for domestic shipment on either side.

And as Brad mentioned, you don't really have a duty per se on flutes imported, but depending on the phase of the moon and the mood of the customs agent, you might very well get charged GST/PST on it. And (unfortunately) you must declare the value of the flute fully on the customs documentation to insure it fully.

NAFTA SHMAFTA.

Stuart
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Can you believe that? After 2 months of flying ( :-? ), I just received my M&E 6 keys!

Thanks to Canada Post to make me wait for two months to increase my desire!

And thanks guys for your support!

Leo
eilam

Post by eilam »

even worse, we had to wait for pictures, but now that you got the flute, can't take too long right :wink:
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Leonard wrote:Can you believe that? After 2 months of flying ( :-? ), I just received my M&E 6 keys!

Leo
Ah good, I feel much better as I have a flute comming as well.
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Leonard wrote:Can you believe that? After 2 months of flying ( :-? ), I just received my M&E 6 keys!

Leo
That's funny. My six-key M&E got here in 9 days (Ireland to Idaho). Of course that was a few years back. Anyway, Leonard enjoy your new tooter. :)

Doc
eilam

Post by eilam »

just got an email from Michael today that my 6 key is ready, so it's "Off to California", we'll see how long it takes.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Another one! :roll:
Jon
eilam

Post by eilam »

well, since I play the M&E every day, I'm going to send mine back , once the keyed flute gets here, besides, soon you'll have more then I do, so stop herding them and sell a few.
have you made more large holed R&R model? I liked the one you brought with you.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I am trying to advise someone about sending a parcel between the USA and Canada. I recently noticed this alert from the USPS

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... ngtocanada

With what has been said previously in this thread, do any of the Canadians here at the flute forum know what the current status is with Canadian customs, expected delivery times, etc.?
Henke

Post by Henke »

I have a 5 (or 6 -not sure :roll: ) -key M&E R&R coming in, hopefully next week. It's not the normal keys though, since they are left handed, I think Michael made them himself. It has another cool feature too, a custom made, partially un-lined Cocobolo headjoint. We'll see if it gets here allright and how the un-lined M&E sounds. I will be the first person in the world to own one :D