When should I need a keyed flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: When should I need a keyed flute?

Post by jim stone »

MichaelMc wrote:Wow. All this from a simple question about a keyless vs keyed flute. Lots of great responses here, and I thank you all for them. That said, my questions are answered, so I vote that all go practice, drink a pint, and leave the personal attacks out of the discussion.
Thanks. My apologies for responding to personal attacks. My policy is to ignore them but I've been driving for days
and I'm a bit loopy. Will ignore them from now on. Whether or not folks agree with what I say is entirely their department.

Best to all.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Sorry. I didn't mean to wound. We come here to talk about flutes, not for therapy.
I blame my bad temper on the nasty Miltown Flu that is making my life miserable.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Get well soon. We are united, as we know, in the love of flutes and music.
MichaelMc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by MichaelMc »

jim stone wrote:Get well soon. We are united, as we know, in the love of flutes and music.
Well said.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Julia Delaney wrote:Sorry. I didn't mean to wound. We come here to talk about flutes, not for therapy.
I blame my bad temper on the nasty Miltown Flu that is making my life miserable.
I probably caught that from this thread...10 days running of crabby misery. At least my ears are finally showing signs of occasionally opening up well enough to hear myself play.

Get well soon David.

Eric
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I haven't read the entire 8 pages of this thread, so this idea may already have been presented. In addition to being able to play the chromatic notes that are difficult or not really available on a 6-hole diatonic flute, keys may also be used to put one or more of the standard six holes in a more friendly position on a large flute. This is especially true for someone with smaller hands or with with physical problems of the hand. I have been experimenting with Susato plastic comfort flapper keys on my pvc pipe flutes. They actually work quite well. With a key for the sixth hole, for example, the position of the hole is really not an issue, so the hole can be made larger for a better sound at that hole. Large flutes, such as a low Bb flute, can be made easily playable with the average hand with two keys for both rings fingers. Keys on the standard six holes do present obvious issues for ornamentation and half-holing at the keyed hole, but the advantage of hand comfort may shift the balance in favor of a key for some players. I haven't posted anything at my website yet, but I will be offering these keys on my flutes in the near future. Actually, a 2-key low Bb flute went out to Canada today. I was pleased with how easy it was to play.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK I'm back in St. Louis. As folks have been kindly, I picked up a Copley
and recorded quickly some half-holed Ebs--this to show how the
straight-fingered technique I described earlier in this thread is meant to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3P8Ozuc ... e=youtu.be

I'll take this down in a couple of days.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jim stone wrote:As folks have been kindly, I picked up a Copley
and recorded quickly some half-holed Ebs--this to show how the
straight-fingered technique I described earlier in this thread is meant to work.
Afraid I'm sticking by everything I've said on the subject, Jim!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Personally, I think that's pretty good. As good as a key? No clearly not, but Jim is not claiming that, either.

If Jim played that in anything other than a solo recorded situation where each of our preconceived views on half holing this note color our response, I would bet no one would notice at all.

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The very last Eb was acceptable enough to my ear for the purpose, but as has been illustrated all too clearly in the vid, the big problem is in ensuring a consistent result. This alone secures my vote for an Eb key, without any reservation. That a halfholed Eb can be done on a good day is not enough of an enticement to spare my wallet.

I am given to understand that there is a school of ITM flutist thought that asserts that if you can't take care of all your accidentals on a keyless flute - and play in all keys, so - then you are somehow lacking the proper set of danglies. Whatever. I like keys. They're convenient, they look like there's business afoot, but best of all they keep my flute from rolling off the table.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think the key definitely gives a stronger note. I was after something decent (that is, not bad)
in the context of the two tunes I played.
I'll let the video speak for itself. Thanks for listening.
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

To answer the post ( many answers!). Keys are just fun! Flutes had them in 1800's and if you have them, you are tempted to play with them. I wouldn't like to miss them :D