Delrin flutes with metal tuning slides + unlined headjoints

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Delrin flutes with metal tuning slides + unlined headjoints

Post by Loren »

I've tried a number of delrin/acetal flutes over the years, however I can't recall off-hand which, if any, had a full metal tuning slide, but an unlined headjoint. Can anyone help jog my memory here? (And yes, I know that having a metal tuning slide technically means the head is partially lined.)

TIA,

Loren
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Delrin flutes with metal tuning slides + unlined headjoints

Post by m31 »

Paddy Ward.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Cochran flutes.
eilam

Post by eilam »

seery (i'm pretty sure)
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

I'll admit to not understanding the question confidently, Loren. If you mean an otherwise unlined head coupled with a metal tuning slide, then count mine in.

I.E. "partial" tuning slide, the remainder of the head being unlined.

Terry
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

As Eilam said, Des Seery's delrin flutes are made that way.

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Yes Terry, you got my meaning - just enough lining in the headjoint to accommodate the slide parts. Just out of curiosity, did you find you had to use a different adhesive for the delrin/metal bond, than you do for the wood/metal bond on a standard flute Terry?

Loren
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Even though I'm not Terry, I'm feeling bold enough to reply: I haven't been successful with glueing delrin to metal (i.e. brass) yet, the stuff I usually use for wood-metal junctions (a two component epoxy resin that can easily be "unglued" by gently applying heat) doesn't bond and superglue doesn't work either. I have been told that Delrin needs a very special glue from 3M that is said to be very expensive - but haven't investigated further as I suppose my first Delrin flute also will be the last one...don't like that stuff.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Gabriel, have you thought of trying Ebonite? It is supposedly smelly to work but otherwise good (was that something Terry wrote somewhere?)..... and it is available in suitable flute joint type cylinders, even with a pre-drilled narrow centre bore, I believe. I think I've mused about this before, and since then M&E have started producing (or at least importing and doctoring) Ebonite flutes. As far as I know Ebonite is generally non-allergenic (though I suppose latex allergy sufferers would have to be wary) and all the things it was praised for as a flute material in the C19th are still true plus it no longer has the chemical instability issues of their material. It still gets used for student level clarinets, oboes and even piccolos, but hasn't been used seriously in Europe for flutes since about the 1930s. It could certainly be used with a part-lined head tuning slide configuration. I remember finding a German manufacturer of Ebonite rod last time I did a bit of research on this, though I can't quickly find them again to post a link.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

If you try working delrin using the tools and techniques you use on wood, you'll have a hard time. It took me a long time to get the hang of it but now I find it ok - and it's all I use at the moment.

I also use the partially lined head on my delrin flutes - I think most makers do. Whatever glue you decide to use (I use the professional grade 24 hour araldite on mine), you'll need to roughen the bonding surfaces first - and/or turn grooves in the metal bonding surface - which is what I do on my whistles before bonding the delrin mouthpiece and slide to the aluminium bodies. The resin then solidifies and beds into the scratches in the delrin and grips the raised fibres. The area of the bonding surfaces is also relatively large when bonding slides, which helps a lot and you can also make the metal inner tubes for the flute slides longer to improve that. The outer slide tube in the barrel already has plenty of bonding surface. You then get a bond with a lot of mechanical strength which you'll need to use a considerable amount of heat to get apart.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Loren wrote:Thanks all, much appreciated.

Yes Terry, you got my meaning - just enough lining in the headjoint to accommodate the slide parts. Just out of curiosity, did you find you had to use a different adhesive for the delrin/metal bond, than you do for the wood/metal bond on a standard flute Terry?

Loren
I'll admit to expediency here, Loren. I just use the same approach I use with wood, my New Improved Tuning Slide arrangement, where the slide is held in the wood (or Delrin) by a buffer layer of cork. So my slide isn't glued in, and can be easily removed if say damaged in a fall.

There shouldn't be the same imperative to do this with Delrin as with wood as, as far as I know, Delrin shouldn't shrink with time. (I only assume this, but it's probably a safe assumption. Some earlier plastics, eg the acetate used in coating acetate recording discs back in the 50's, did shrink when their plasticiser evaporated, with subsequent dramatic results for the recordings on them!)

But, assuming I'm right that no buffering should be needed with Delrin, why use adhesive at all? Why not make it a tight fit and press them together? If the slide got damaged in a fall, it could probably still be removed by heat, or bored out if totally mangled.

Terry
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Terry McGee wrote:
Loren wrote:Thanks all, much appreciated.

Loren
I'll admit to expediency here, Loren. I just use the same approach I use with wood, my New Improved Tuning Slide arrangement, where the slide is held in the wood (or Delrin) by a buffer layer of cork. So my slide isn't glued in, and can be easily removed if say damaged in a fall.

There shouldn't be the same imperative to do this with Delrin as with wood as, as far as I know, Delrin shouldn't shrink with time. (I only assume this, but it's probably a safe assumption. Some earlier plastics, eg the acetate used in coating acetate recording discs back in the 50's, did shrink when their plasticiser evaporated, with subsequent dramatic results for the recordings on them!)

But, assuming I'm right that no buffering should be needed with Delrin, why use adhesive at all? Why not make it a tight fit and press them together? If the slide got damaged in a fall, it could probably still be removed by heat, or bored out if totally mangled.

Terry
That is right, I have pressed in the slide, scoring it like they did in the old days, with a razor knife, then press it in. If the delrin is scored like Garry said, it will key in the glue joint.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

eilam wrote:seery (i'm pretty sure)
yes, about 12 years ago my seery blackwood cracked headjoint and barrel.
( I had neglected it for about a year while in hospital and recuperating).

Desi sent me Delrin replacement and the headjoint is indeed unlined
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit