Wooden flute in Boehm Case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Wooden flute in Boehm Case

Post by radcliff »

Hi there!
I found some nice aluminium cases for my wooden friends
and I'm going to buy a couple of them and fill'em with some foam sheets.

Recently I have a close check of a new olwell keyless
and its posh Northwind case (here in the Photo..)
that would be great for my flutes instead of the aluminium ones.

following the velvet lines of the internal border it could be easy to notice
that this one is made for a Bohem flute!
not just a standard one but a B-foot case (17 Holes bohem flute).
and it fit a wooden keyless flute
but ...
anyone tried to use such cases with a 8 keyed simple system??

Thanks!

(edited...)
Last edited by radcliff on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
plamas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Fit a Boehm B-Foot Case?

Post by plamas »

Hi Radcliffe,
I've been providing Northwind cases fitted out for 8 keyed flutes for some time now. It just depends how you do the blocking in the interior.
All the Best
Hammy
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Re: Fit a Boehm B-Foot Case?

Post by radcliff »

Thank you Hammy!

anyone else have experienced with some Bohem B-foot cases?
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Wooden flute in Boehm Case

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I've reworked a C foot boehm case for my keyless Windward pratten, but I did need to have the foot and head sections slightly skewed so that they fit in the case - a B foot case would have been no problem (my boehm B foot case has a boehm B foot flute in it...). Don't know about a keyed flute - laying out my McGee GLP 6 key, it should be able to fit too, but then that doesn't have a long body section and does have a short foot, so I don't know how useful that information is. Laterally, there would have been plenty of space for the keys though, so I don't see that you would have any problem as long as the length of the flute fits in the case.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I have one of those Northwind cases that Patrick Olwell fitted out inside to hold my six key Olwell flute. It would seem that reblocking the inside to fit an eight key flute would not be an issue. If it's a four piece flute though it might need to be stored with the bottom two pieces assembled. I've been told that's an okay thing to do provided you pull the pieces apart about 1/8" rather than assembling them tight. I've done that with my eight key R&R for the three years I've owned it with no problems.
Last edited by johnkerr on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Thanks everyone,
until now I think we can said that
both the b-foot case and the NW one can keep a keyed flute...

so the question now is:
is the Northwind case Just an usual french style B-foot bohem case (with some velvet adapted inserts) ?
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

The Northwind case is made in America.
Any case is only a generic case, made to fit any flute - it is the molded foam lining inside the case that determines which flute the case will hold. I have bought the cheap cycolac (black plastic) cases on Ebay for about $20. The insides of these cases are designed for Boehm flutes. I refit the inside to accept a different flute and the case works very well. Sometimes you can just press down the foam liner, without removing it, to fit the new flute. It may be necessary to remove the lining and replace it with new foam to fit the intended flute.
The Northwind case uses wooden blocks covered with fabric so it is a bit more complicated to remove and refit these parts- but the principle is the same. The Northwind case is lovely, and very protective, but it is very pricey, selling for about $200. The cheaper case does the job very nicely and would most likely accommodate an eight-keyed flute.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Thanks for that reply, Julia. I've had my eye on those ebay cases for a couple months now. Just wasn't sure if they could be refit for a wooden flute or not, or whether they were worth the trouble. At your recommendation, I'll buy a couple and give it a try.

Best,
Jay
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Yes, The Northwind case is defnitly made in America, my fault, sorry. (I've edited the first post)
what I still would like to understand is If this case is standard B-foot Bohem, adapted
for wooden flute by the firm itself, or just costumed made for simple system.

from the dectails of the photo above I'm thinking that it is an adapted bohem case.

the problem is that my wooden flute simply cannot fit a standard (c-foot) bohem case.
so a B-foot case woll definitly solve this?
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I'm almost certain that the Northwind cases (or any other high-end flute cases for that matter) are being made primarily for Boehm flutes. There simply aren't enough wooden flutes being made these days relative to the number of Boehm flutes being produced for any company to develop such a product primarily for the wooden flute market. The Northwind people will obviously take special orders for wooden flute versions of their cases (that's how I got mine, via Patrick Olwell having them make a few for him to sell) but by and large they're making Boehm flute cases. If you buy one off the rack, as it were, that's what you're getting.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Can anyone post a picture of a 6- or 8-key simple system flute installed in a re-configured Boehm case? I'd like some visual reference for how the flute is oriented and the keys allowed for.
plamas

Post by plamas »

Just to confirm:
A six or eight keyed simple system flute will not fit in a case configured for a B foot Boehm flute. The cases that Patrick and myself get from Northwind are blocked internally to fit our flutes. I visited Northwind and we designed the case together. The ones I provide with my flutes, obviously fit my flutes ( the same blockwork suits both keyed and keyless flutes) but I also get empty cases, and blocks of various sizes, so that I can do up a case to suit other and antique flutes.
Shamelessly promoting myself, I also have Northwind cases that are slightly tweaked copies of the old Rudall case, which suit antique four piece flutes that bit better.
All the Best
Hammy
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Re: Chinese (or other) B foot Bohm flute cases; yes, these will serve very well for an 8-key wooden flute, with a little (easily DIY accomplished) adaptation. Either a two part body (5 section, sometimes referred to as “Rudall style”) or one-part body (4 sections, often referred to as “Pratten style”) type of flute can be accommodated. With the separate R & L hand body joint type, you can choose whether or not to leave them assembled - there is room to store them separately, and there is no need to keep the foot on the lower body as in most period cases for these flutes – in fact, it just isn’t possible. These cases are pretty slim-line, but most 8-keyers should fit OK unless they have very sticky-out keys. As has been pointed out already, the C foot versions of these cases are not suitable – it doesn’t matter how you disassemble and arrange the flute, you usually can’t quite get all the parts in by an annoying few millimetres.

The manufacturer pre-installed blocks in the bases of these cases are of course only suitable for use with a Bohm flute, but they are simply glued in over the velveteen lining and are easily removed with a sharp knife and a little levering, and one could remove any glue residue with acetone. The blocks are of soft wood with a velveteen covering, and they may in part at least be adapted for re-use to fit your own flute, or may be entirely discarded. In any case, you will need some foam blocks or maybe to make some new wooden blocks and cover them with cloth for insertion in the base to secure your flute……. I have not as yet actually done this, though I recently acquired a stock of these cases for use with flutes I overhaul and repair which have lost their original case. The blocks in the case lids are velveteen-covered foam and can be left as they are, though one might wish to add some more, better sited to ensure a simple system flute cannot rattle about. There seems to be ample clearance for any keys projecting up towards the lid.

As the pictures below show, my own R&R fits quite snugly into one of these cases in a layout conveniently and logically orientated for picking up and assembling its parts (so many flute cases seem to have daft layouts in this respect!). I haven’t actually created any blocks to fit it in properly, but one can easily see what would be required. There is only room for a rather narrow divider between the two rows of parts, but there is sufficient clearance not to bang or tangle keys.

Interior as supplied

Interior with blocks removed

Removed blocks

My R&R laid out in the case, re-using the one large block in way that quite neatly fits the foot-joint (but one could cut part of it away or not use it and thus free up more space for grease pot/tube etc.)

These Chinese cases are cheaply but quite well made and should do a decent enough job for “our” kind of flute, providing safe enough storage and transit in a conveniently light and slim case. I don’t think these cases would withstand much dropping and bashing, however, and certainly wouldn’t protect your flute from being run over by a car or any such calamity. At about £20 including P&P from China as sold on eBay, I think they are a potentially useful solution at a reasonable cost.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

Thanks Jem, great post! that's clearly explain what kind of work must be done on the simplest cases.
(and it seems not easy to get stable the keyed flute inside that case.

Hammy can you add a picture of this Northwind cases "old Rudall copy" those sound intresting and engaging...
daiv

Post by daiv »

i took an old model of http://tinyurl.com/yzhcp8o and gutted it, modifying the internal, hard foam to make it accommodate an antique 8-key. it also still fits a boehm flute, or a boehm flute with wooden headjoint. i gave up halfway through, so instead of installing custom blocks, i just have different sizes of folded cloth i keep in the front pocket. this way, i can make any of my flutes or headjoints fit in snuggly. i only place the cloths BETWEEN joints, and i have the foam so that all my flutes are snug and safe the other way around. i have no problem dropping my 140 year old flute in this case, and can swap out flutes in a moments notice.