Flute Cases Again

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Flute Cases Again

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Keep me posted..there's always Salt Hill in Lebanon.....maybe :wink: figure a new flute case by then !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Loren wrote: Flute? What flute?
So is this a case of a Flute Case Just in Case?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Keep me posted..there's always Salt Hill in Lebanon.....maybe :wink: figure a new flute case by then !
Hey, that'd be cool. I think I remember Gordon saying that was a nice session, and we're about 20 minutes north of Montpelier, so .... total within the Northeast Kingdom realm! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I have this one Aanvil mentioned- I like it - It's totally sturdy and very versatile with the pocket and removeable strap.

but Loren - Pat Olwell sold it to me some years ago cos he said it was too big to fit into his backpack.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D nicely played :thumbsup:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think Loren would look dashing buzzing all round Boston like Caominh O'Raghallaigh with a fiddle case strapped to his pack.

So ... how about a backpack viola or guitar case that happens to hold your flute and other stuff, too!?

Or maybe one of these?

http://www.ebags.com/hideo_wakamatsu/su ... lid=125764

You could just put it in a cavallero case with something like that.

Just thinkin' outside the box for ya, my friend. :-D
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Neato !

And, of course, I know where he could get one of those "Messenger" bags...and look like a PRO ! :D
603/329-7322
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I will never understand what passes for "stylish" in Japan these days :really: That is one ugly and uncomfortable backpacks I have ever seen, but I appreciate the thought :lol:

If I went with a guitar case I'd fit right in with all the Berklee students, that's for sure.

The Pelican cases look good, but they don't have anything quite the right size, darnit. The laptop cases are really too big for my needs.

I really like the size of the cheapish french style cases, but don't have much confidence in their shock absorbing ability, should I happen to take another header from the bike onto the concrete as I did last year.

I like the protec cases, but they are they involve compromising just about everything: They are not completely rigid (crush proof), they are not waterproof (I often get caught out in the rain on the bike), and they are large enough that they will not fit in my small daypack, and while they would likely fit in my larger backpack, the protec case wouldn't leave enough room for the other gear I need to carry around.

Hmph.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

lesl wrote:I have this one Aanvil mentioned- I like it - It's totally sturdy and very versatile with the pocket and removeable strap.

but Loren - Pat Olwell sold it to me some years ago cos he said it was too big to fit into his backpack.

Came with a flute I hope :)

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

My fancy French flute lives in a fancy French case with a fancy Cavallero cover to boot. It's pretty well protected; I think it would protect the flute in a fall as long as *I* didn't land on it. However, the flute also sits in more of a "cradle" type arrangement inside, which really doesn't let it move much.

I don't know how you could adapt one of those to fit a bigger-diameter flute, though ...

With that in mind, I go back to the combo flute/picc case John G. repurposed for my Bb (like the one I linked to earlier). It's pretty darned stout, and small enough for a pack. He took out the wood innards and put in three curved metal half-tubes that ran from front to back and served as the "channels" for the flute parts. He then covered the tubes with a little padding and the original velveteen, and that's how it came to me. However, knowing what a klutz I am I wanted a bigger block between the lower body and foot joint plus more padding, so I ripped out his fabric, added more foam padding to the bottom and the lid, and covered it all in lovely dark green faux velvet from Wal-Mart.

Anyway, he'll make you one -- I think he only charged me about $30 for mine though I put probably another $10 into it 'cause I'm a chicken.

The only drawback is it looks like a dorky flute case. I suppose if you took off the handle that'd frenchify it some, but the handle's kind of useful occasionally ... :-D
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Loren wrote: Came with a flute I hope :)
ah yep! all-in-one, unlike those adverts that say "flute not included" :lol:
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:
Loren wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm, what's in which case: Grinter or Glock??
Star ...when I've grabbed the wrong one leaving home ....(only happened once...honest!)
I bet when you opened up the wrong case at the session the bodhran players got nervous?

:D
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Jack Bradshaw wrote: I dunno, wielding that flute to my left, you looked pretty dangerous to me..... :D
Dangerous to that stray Budweiser under my chair, at any rate. :tomato: :tomato:

But IIRC the flute wasn't involved in that takedown.

Wow, we need to do that again sometime (the tunes, not the beer-tipping -- or the getting yelled at by Billy McComiskey)! Maybe we'll get to NH this summer during our annual VT swing. No East Durham this year, alas :-( -- gotta conserve those plane rides.
The Salt Hill does indeed rock!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Wormdiet wrote:
Jack Bradshaw wrote:
Loren wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm, what's in which case: Grinter or Glock??
Star ...when I've grabbed the wrong one leaving home ....(only happened once...honest!)
I bet when you opened up the wrong case at the session the bodhran players got nervous?

:D
:lol:

That would have been the case (and made a great story...esp for the bodhran player at that time) but no, sad to say I realized in time to go back and get the flute...although I had driven well into MA.
603/329-7322
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Okay, here's the schlepper I prefer. I'll let the pics do the talking.

Note the baby tribble trying to sneak up on my case. Good thing I removed all of the quadrotriticale first...

Rob